Eww but I just might do it because it sounds miraculous!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • http://www.buzzle.com/articles/healt...r-vinegar.html
  • I have heard this
    Yep...I have heard this before but I much prefer the apple a day theory. Let us know how this works. I think if you drink it quickly you might not even notice the taste.
  • For some reason apple cider vinegar became an old wives' tale of a miracle cure to everything but its not... I think that people used to think that since vinegar can do anything, especially in terms of cleaning, that it could 'clean' out your body. It doesn't work that way though.
  • I honestly am the chugging queen... I'll chug it down in two seconds and pop something tasteful into my mouth right after. Even if it does taste absolutely horrible... I want to be healthy and this seems pretty easy to do to help me along the way!
  • Quote: For some reason apple cider vinegar became an old wives' tale of a miracle cure to everything but its not... I think that people used to think that since vinegar can do anything, especially in terms of cleaning, that it could 'clean' out your body. It doesn't work that way though.
    So it doesn't do what they say it does?
  • I think it was Susan Powter, maybe 15 years ago, who said that when she tried it, the only effect she noticed was that it gave her bad b.o. that smelled like old wet gymsocks (or something to that effect).

It's been a fad diet that has been cycling in popularity for at least the last 40 years. I figure if it worked, we'd all know about it by now.
  • I have many friends who use raw apple cidar vinegar on a regular basis. I believe it can be helpful but I don't use it...because it's gross.
  • An older lady I knew took apple cider vinegar everyday for health purposes. I think you would be better off eating two actual apples a day to fill you up.
  • I don't think I'd chug it.. but may try it on my salad to seeif it does anything for me..
  • I've dieted in the past where I had two huge salads every day with cider vinegar in the dressing (I wasn't intentionally using cider vinegar, it's just the only vinegar my mom kept in the house), and definitely didn't notice anything out of the ordinary (I guess I wasn't eating enough of it to come through the pores. At least, no one told me I smelled like old gym socks).
  • Nah, not ewww.
    Actually I get Braggs ACV from my local health food store. If you make a tonic of pure water, ACV, honey and lemon juice, it is a really refreshing little cocktail in the morning AND it is really great for making your ph more alkaline and for people with arthritis. No big deal. The "Mother" contains lots of nutrients and enzymes that you don't get with the over processed kind. Not really gross. Good stuff. I've never used it with weightloss as my goal though. Just a healthy tonic.
  • hmm... maybe ill just stick to what I'm doing then lol
  • I try to always keep this in mind:

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
  • I, and some relatives, drink apple cider with "mother" everyday. I just drink it straight, it isn't much and you get used to the punch. But you can put it in water as well so it won't be as strong.

It has a few health benefits(blood pressure, etc) and it does work.
  • From what I've read, apple cider vinegar has no benefits. Here is an interesting article with a snippet.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...14/ai_20152545

There is no scientific evidence that apple cider vinegar has any medicinal properties. While the folksy anecdotes from those who claim to have benefited from apple cider vinegar tonics may be amusing to read, they are simply that -- anecdotes.

Apple cider vinegar is anything but a storehouse of nutrients. A nutritional analysis of one tablespoon (more than the one or two teaspoons suggested to make a tonic) reveals that the golden liquid contains less than a ram of carbohydrate: minuscule amounts of calcium, iron, magnesium, sodium. copper, manganese, and phosphorus; and a mere 15 mg of potassium. The fiber, vitamin, and amino acid content is zero.

As for the presence of any beneficial enzymes in apple cider vinegar or the "mother," food scientists doubt that any could thrive in the acid environment of the vinegar. Assuming any were present, though, they would be destroyed in the acid of the stomach when consumed and be of no use to the body.