Velveeta is better than cheddar

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Or so says their commercial. Because you get twice as much for the same money.

"Forget the cheddar. Velveeta is better."

Sad. They're using the economy to market junk.
  • Oh you little brat. I feel a craving coming on.

One of my "famous" recipes is Velveeta, Rotel and Cheese soup heated up for dip. The first time I made it for my X he looked at it, gave me the most disgusted look and said, "What? Did you puke in the bowl?" Then he ate some and fell in love. Now, my family asks me to make "Puke in a Bowl".
  • *shudders*

When my friend moved, she gave some food she wasnt taking with her. So we had like, 5 boxes of Velvetta. And this was back when we were dirt poor. So we'd always eat it. I cannot even look at a box of that stuff without wanting to throw up, lol.
  • You know .. two of my favorite junk food dips (both of which I indulged in over New Years) are Rotel and Velveeta and Hormel chili and Velveeta.

However, this is the first time I've eaten either since ... oh ... 2006? Something like that. I had forgotten (or never really realized) how incredibly SALTY Velveeta is. Wow.

It's still good, but I find that I can only eat a few bites and I'm done. Salted out. Bleargh.

And as far as being better than real cheese? No f'ing way.

I'll take a tiny bit of real sharp cheddar any day. But I have to admit a small, tiny, white-trashy weakness for fake orange food. It's my secret shame.

• Hey, I like the light Velveeta that you can find now - yes, it's junk. Yes, it's the definition of "Frankinfood." But it makes a great dip.
  • Not much of a secret PC. Your location states "Deep South". That's where my recipe came from. Not many folks up here in the Mtn. West do this. That's why it's kinda special to my friends. And honestly, did you have to bring up the Hormel and Velveeta. You people are KILLING ME!!!!
  • I married a southerner and inherited the Velveeta + Rotel recipe which is, sadly, extremely yummy. Haven't had it in forever, though, and I don't eat chips anymore! Alas!

But yeah, never would I choose Velveeta over actual food. Now that I eat healthy, that is
  • Quote:
    Not much of a secret PC. Your location states "Deep South".
    Hee hee! That does give it away, doesn't it???

PS - Celery sticks dipped in the velveeta/rotel combination are also pretty decent and at least take away *some* of the fake food / junk food guilt.

• Quote: PS - Celery sticks dipped in the velveeta/rotel combination are also pretty decent and at least take away *some* of the fake food / junk food guilt.
    That was pretty of you to post!
  • LOL, I never expected mention of Velveeta to set off cravings. To me it's yuck period. YMMV
  • I used to love that stuff...now I gag a little at the idea of it.
  • Hahaha... I remember as a kid, my mom's favorite macaroni and cheese recipe used something like 1/2 velveeta and 1/2 real cheese... when she was making it, I'd sometimes take a little chunk of the velveeta to eat plain (I always did that with her cooking ingredients, lol!) and then I'd end up spitting it out. Blech. Somehow I never remembered how gross it was. I did like the mac & cheese though... remind me NOT to get that recipe...
  • I have to admit, reading about velveeta makes me gag just a little bit. I mean, I actually like the Ro'Tel dip but real cheese just doesn't crust up your fingers as your dicing it like velveeta does.

Something that really grosses me out - aerosol cheese. GROSS! One of my husband's friends thinks that is the end-all, be-all of cheese products and I have to tell him that cheese isn't meant to come shooting out of a can when you pull a trigger.

It's just not right.
  • Quote: Something that really grosses me out - aerosol cheese. GROSS! One of my husband's friends thinks that is the end-all, be-all of cheese products and I have to tell him that cheese isn't meant to come shooting out of a can when you pull a trigger.

It's just not right.
    I am creeped out by the fact that in the grocery now...including my natural food stores is "organic pancake batter" in a reddiwhip type can. Make 1 or make 20. Pancake batter. WRONG, so wrong. The fact that it is "organic" to me makes it even more wrong. Batter blaster...that is what it is called.
  • i used to be super grossed out by the cheez-in-a-can too. til i tried it. oh my... so delish. lol. try NOT to eat an entire can at once. i haven't touched the stuff in years.
    mom used to always use velveeta to make nachos. barf!