General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #16  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

hahaha Maybe you're right!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #17  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Here are some of my tips:

1.) Shop at several different grocery stores, each store has their own sales and own discount tables. Each store has their own lower priced items, too. Make at least one fruit/produce market trip. You can save big. For example, celery at the produce market is .75 cents per bunch, compared to 1.99 at the regular grocery store.

2.) Subscribe to the Sunday newspaper. Clip and keep the coupons on as many items as possible. Even something you don't buy very often, keep the coupon, as you never know when that item will show up in the clearance aisle at the store. One of my hot buys were MoveFree Advance Glucosamine and Chondroitin Tablets (Regular Price = $29.99, Clearance Price = $7.00, Coupon that I had = $5.00, Final Price = $2!!!). You never know when you'll hit that jackpot!

3.) Buying coupons on Ebay. Have an item that you buy every single week? Chances are a coupon for it will be on Ebay. Newspaper delivery people who have extra coupon booklets, and time on their hands, oftentimes list coupons in batches of 10 or 20. Make sure to check the expiration dates, make sure they are far enough ahead in time to make it worth it.

4.) If there is a really good sale on something, get a rain check. Go home, then buy the coupons on Ebay. Sale + Coupon = GREAT DEAL!

5.) Buy generic when you can - Sometimes a generic brand will still be cheaper than the name brand WITH a coupon, but make sure to check to see if the package has the same volume.

6.) Find and stock up on the staples - Cut up fruits, vegetables, and meats and freeze them. Make sure they are properly labeled. It may be a good investment to get one of the reynolds or ziploc vacuum sealers for extra freshness.

7.) On your day off, crock pot some good, hearty wholesome meals that can be frozen, and brought to work/school as lunch for the week. Maybe you can also find a group in your community that swaps, so that you can have variety.

8.) Angel-Food ministries - you can buy bulk meat, oftentimes much cheaper than grocery store prices.

9.) Join a food co-op in your community, there are even ones that offer healthy organic vegetables.

10.) Contact manufacturers directly, if there is an item you're particularly interested in and don't have a coupon. Turkey Hill sent me a whole welcome package with multiple coupons on ice cream, frozen yogurt and tea.

Good luck!!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Some great ideas in here. I need to spend less in a major way. I hate all the coupons I get from various stores. Save 30% here, $10.00 off here. And of course, use it between Dec 15-24th and save another 15%. AHHH!!!! I don't even need anything, but I find myself buying "stuff" just to "save" yet, I'm spending money.....

*shakes head* I need to learn to just toss these coupons and not worry abotu them...
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Coupons are good when you use them for the things you normally use. If your store offers a store card, use it I save significantly when I use the store card. Cut down on your trips to the store, going in for a quart of milk is guarenteed that I will not get out for less than $50. I get paper towels, room freshener and some cleaning products at the dollar store. The dollar store is also a good source for greeting cards and wrapping paper. At the dollar store you can get 3 bars of soap for $1, brands such as Palmolive and Ivory. No matter where I shop I watch for staples on sale, I know I always need toilet paper, dish and laundry detergent and other basics. When I see them on sale I buy them as I know I will use them.

Last edited by bargoo; 12-22-2008 at 12:48 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #20  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

I bought microfiber cloths to wash and re-use for my Swifter extra large dust mop. The cloths were $8.00 a box and since most of our floors are wood I was going through boxes like crazy. You can also buy the same cloths for the smaller mop, just cut them in half.

I use store brands of most canned foods, although we have found a few we do not like. Spaghetti sauce is an example...just not real good. (of course your store brand might be fine) I buy shower spray and cleaning products from Aldi or the Dollar Store as others have stated.

We never pay full price for anything. (big ticket items) Watch for sales or don't get it.

Never, never buy bottled water. We have a Brita pitcher and filter our own.

I trade reading material with other family members. We pass around magazines and books. We put our initals in the front so we can tell who has read what. Eliminates stacks of magazines laying around or in the trash. Sometimes the last to read a mag. will take it to their hair dresser or nursing home.

I was frugal before frugal became "cool." My girls used to rue the day we had to look at the clearance rack. Now they and their families are doing the same thing. (and their children are just as mortified) LOL
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Some of my suggestions:

~Go through your checkbook and credit card statements, and see what things you have purchased that are not necessary in the past. Do you have a regular coffee and muffin habit at Starbucks? Do you go out to dinner often? Do you often have a beer or a glass of wine at a restaurant or bar? Do you often buy new nail polish or lipstick colors when you still have usable ones at home? These little things here and there might only be $3-$5 each, but over the course of a month's time they can easily add up to $20, $40, or $50 or more!

~Switch to store brand products whenever you can. You are going to save 5 cents to a dollar on every item this way...and the green beans or cotton swabs are going to be just as good.

~Shop clearance racks ALWAYS. I don't buy my kids clothes for full price. I shop the clearance racks, outlet stores, or go when I have a 15-30% off coupon somewhere.

~Get the Sunday paper, and clip coupons. Look for coupons online for your favorite items and print them off. I save $5-$20 per WEEK in coupons! That adds up over time. If I have a coupon this week for Pampers, then I buy that brand...but next week if I have a coupon for Huggies, I will buy that brand instead!

~Shop eBay! I have purchased many holiday gifts, clothing items, dvds, books, etc. on eBay for less than retail. You just have to shop around a bit!

~Turn the thermostat down when you are not home. When you leave for work, turn it down to 60 degrees. When you get home, turn it back up to 65-70 (wherever you like to keep it) and it will warm back up within an hour. There is no reason to keep the house toasty when you aren't there. Also, if you normally keep the house at 70 degrees, consider keeping it at 68 this winter and wearing a sweatshirt!

~Look through the grocery ads, Walgreen ads, etc.

~Get basics like canned veggies, frozen veggies, flour, sugar, etc. at discount groceries like Aldi.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote