General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/150

Height: 5' 11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwhite89 View Post
Double?

I don't think I've ever heard of "dubble" or "dooble".
Yes, it should be double. I misspelled it by accident.
Findmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Double?

Dubbell.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
There is one "acronym" that I ALWAYS have to look up on Urban Dictionary (thank goodness for that site!). It is ftw. I think I'll remember it having looked it up a dozen times now, but I still don't understand why it has to be used. It means "for the win" and my daughter's friends will use it on Facebook when they're discussing things.
Allison - I've never heard this one! Can you give some examples of how they use it??

I admit that I'm guilty of using the F word way more than I should. There's a time and place for different kinds of language to be used, and I don't have a problem with using it around my husband or certain friends who also sprinkle their conversations with it. It is a very versatile word, actually, and can be used as any part of speech. I think that's what's makes it such a habitual choice for those of us who use it. However, I would NEVER use it in public or around anyone who may be offended by it or where it's just clearly inappropriate, and I highly respect that it's very offensive for some people to hear.
T
here have been times, though, where I would have loved to have yelled, "Shut the F up!" at some of my rowdier classes of 17 year olds. I suspect that would straighten up pretty quickly! Of course, I would never do that. We have a veteran teacher at our school who is highly respected by kids and faculty alike. She's a 60 year old Puerto Rican Catholic and one of the hardest working and best teachers we have. A couple years ago she snapped on a kid and after putting up with weeks of an enormous amount of grief from him, finally leaned in and said in firm but low voice, "Get the F out of this room." The kids were astonished, and of course silent for the rest of the block. The principal had to reprimand her, and she apologized, but she also said she didn't regret it a bit and that it felt great. I realize the word is way overused, but there can certainly be something powerful and cathartic about using it in certain situations.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Earlier this year, when I was, ahem, eating fast food every day, I could hardly sit in a "restaurant" for a meal without listening to loud, repetitive, bad language, from people who apparently had no idea it was inappropriate with children at the next table, much less the other people around. And I'm not just talking teenagers doing it. The teenagers are actually more amenable to a stare or request to stop. Adults get scary belligerent at any suggestion that the 4-year sitting at the next table doesn't need to hear F this and F that.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #50  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Earlier this year, when I was, ahem, eating fast food every day, I could hardly sit in a "restaurant" for a meal without listening to loud, repetitive, bad language, from people who apparently had no idea it was inappropriate with children at the next table, much less the other people around. And I'm not just talking teenagers doing it. The teenagers are actually more amenable to a stare or request to stop. Adults get scary belligerent at any suggestion that the 4-year sitting at the next table doesn't need to hear F this and F that.
Very true. Public places, and ANYWHERE around children, are not appropriate venues for profanity.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #51  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Double?

It was just a little yoke
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I have been guilty of using profanity in public plenty of times. As a defiant young adult (ages 18-20, maybe 21), I just didn't give a if I offended people. I was using my right to free speech

However, after getting a little bit older, a little bit more mature, and a little bit more considerate, I have toned down my excessive profanity. I try to not swear as much in general except for emphasis as walking2lose mentioned above.

I do think it is contradictory when parents tell others not to swear around their children while every other word out of THEIR mouths is "F this, F that, S, B, A, etc" though. I've seen that quite a bit here and all I can think is, "Uhh... why are you telling ME not to use such words? Look at what a great example YOU'RE setting!"

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 12-20-2008 at 07:52 PM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #53  
Empress/Queen

Re spaces after periods, it is always been ONE space in the industry in which I work (print journalism), although one always met coworkers who didn't realize that. But now, yea, it is generally acceptible in all venues to use one or two as preferred. I gave up using two for general purpose typing long ago and have always been bothered by seeing two, even though correct, and why that bothers ME, I can't say either. :laugh:

I pretty much make my own style rules these days anyhow.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #54  
Empress/Queen

Re profanity, I personally don't like it except for rare emphasis as per one poster's story regarding the teacher.

The use of profanity for emphasis by someone who does not habitually use it makes it more effective when they do.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

People make fun of me because I text whole sentences instead of the shorthand I just can't get used to it. For me texting is already so impersonal I just think whole sentences make more of connection than ttyl, IDK, and the like.

Also, I've given up on the two spaces after a sentence that seems to have been lost sometime after freshman year in college, in high school I couldn't get away with it but now few people seem to care.

Last edited by JackieRn; 12-20-2008 at 09:00 PM.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #56  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

my ex boyfriend instead of laughing he would actually say lol with a straight face......
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
Allison - I've never heard this one! Can you give some examples of how they use it??

I admit that I'm guilty of using the F word way more than I should. There's a time and place for different kinds of language to be used, and I don't have a problem with using it around my husband or certain friends who also sprinkle their conversations with it. It is a very versatile word, actually, and can be used as any part of speech. I think that's what's makes it such a habitual choice for those of us who use it. However, I would NEVER use it in public or around anyone who may be offended by it or where it's just clearly inappropriate, and I highly respect that it's very offensive for some people to hear.
T
here have been times, though, where I would have loved to have yelled, "Shut the F up!" at some of my rowdier classes of 17 year olds. I suspect that would straighten up pretty quickly! Of course, I would never do that. We have a veteran teacher at our school who is highly respected by kids and faculty alike. She's a 60 year old Puerto Rican Catholic and one of the hardest working and best teachers we have. A couple years ago she snapped on a kid and after putting up with weeks of an enormous amount of grief from him, finally leaned in and said in firm but low voice, "Get the F out of this room." The kids were astonished, and of course silent for the rest of the block. The principal had to reprimand her, and she apologized, but she also said she didn't regret it a bit and that it felt great. I realize the word is way overused, but there can certainly be something powerful and cathartic about using it in certain situations.
I can't really give you an example as I still don't quite "get it." It's used randomly in text conversation, kind of to make a point, like they're saying that they're right or better or something.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I can't really give you an example as I still don't quite "get it." It's used randomly in text conversation, kind of to make a point, like they're saying that they're right or better or something.
That's interesting. I'll pay attention and see if I hear the teens here in Virginia using it.