need advice-does anyone work in Human Resources?

• Hi,

I need some insight, please. My husband has had three interviews for a job.
    He had an initial phone interview with human resources, then a phone interview with his potential manager. Yesterday he had an in person interview with the potential manager, plus interviews with two other managers. He was told to contact human resources after the interview.
    When he called, the woman in HR asked how the interview went, and
    asked him when he would be available. (did we have any vacations/traveling coming up) She did not actually come out and make an offer. He was however, notified of the salary.

I would think (hope!) this is a really good indication that an offer could be coming soon. What do you think?

Thanks!
    Sherry
  • I'm not in human resources but I did get a verbal offer when I started my first job which including the salary. I don't think they'd tell you the salary unless you were getting the job. Although until you get the paperwork and agree, you don't really have the job.
  • I work in HR and I do think it sounds very positive. Generally speaking, a good recruiting team will tell candidates what all the steps in the process are but if that doesn't happen it's perfectly reasonable for the candidate to ask.

My suggestion is that your hubby give HR another call and ask if there is any other information they need (i.e. references) in order to make a decision, when they expect to make a decision or extend an offer (or when they need someone to start) and to remind them that he's very interested in working for them.

If he has the email addy he should follow up with a thank you note.

Hope this helps and good luck! Please let us know if he gets the job.

Cheers,
    K
  • I also work in HR and this does sound pretty positive to me also. Second to Boomcha's suggestion to call and follow-up with HR, and send a thank you note, definitely.

Good luck!
  • Hi,

Thank you very much! He had already written thank you notes, which he is sending today. He did already provide Human Resources with references. They said they wanted to fill the position
    quickly, since a lot of people will be on vacation next week.

Thank you for your good wishes, and I will let you know. A new job for him would be the best Xmas gift! He was laid off last month after working for the same company for 21 years (major downsizing).

Sherry
  • Hi,

My husband received a reply from his thank you note to his potential manager.
    It said that "the recruiter will be contacting you as soon as possible."
    I certainly think that sounds like an offer is coming. There's no reason for a recruiter to contact someone with a rejection, right?

Thanks,
    Sherry
  • not usually. Rejections often come in a faceless letter, where recruiters often call to set up things like new hire drug screens and background checks... I've got my fingers crossed for you guys! There are too many people out of work right now, it would be nice to hear a success story instead of just more layoff stories before Christmas!