General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #1  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

Default Are you sensitive?

Someone mentioned something in another thread and it got me thinking about this subject.

I am sensitive... about EVERYTHING.

I am food sensitive... If I haven't eaten a food in awhile, no matter what it is, my stomach reacts. I am very dairy sensitive, artificial sweetener sensitive, I've tested sensitive (not allergic) to two of my favorite foods, soy and tomatoes.

I'm skin sensitive... when I had my allergy tests, my whole back swelled up from the scratches, not because I was allergic to everything but because my skin is so sensitive to touch. It's called photodermia I think and it basically means "you can draw a picture on the skin". When I work out, my skin stays bright red for an hour afterwards. People always ask if I'm sunburnt. And when I wear clothes that touches my skin (i.e. most) I get these little irrational welts all over. (awesome!)

I'm emotionally sensitive... Dude, I take EVERYTHING personally. I read about this teenage phenomenon where teenagers believe they are constantly on a stage and everyone is watching them.. I still feel that way. I'm 27.

Other ways I'm sensitive: I'm a very light sleeper. I'm a great read of people, especially when people are lying or withholding information. I take every compliment and criticism home and analyze it.

I just think it's amazing how being emotionally sensitive carries over into being physically sensitive and vice versa.

Anyone else sensitive? All around or just in certain areas?
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyra View Post
Someone mentioned something in another thread and it got me thinking about this subject.

I am sensitive... about EVERYTHING.

I am food sensitive... If I haven't eaten a food in awhile, no matter what it is, my stomach reacts. I am very dairy sensitive, artificial sweetener sensitive, I've tested sensitive (not allergic) to two of my favorite foods, soy and tomatoes.

I'm skin sensitive... when I had my allergy tests, my whole back swelled up from the scratches, not because I was allergic to everything but because my skin is so sensitive to touch. It's called photodermia I think and it basically means "you can draw a picture on the skin". When I work out, my skin stays bright red for an hour afterwards. People always ask if I'm sunburnt. And when I wear clothes that touches my skin (i.e. most) I get these little irrational welts all over. (awesome!)

I'm emotionally sensitive... Dude, I take EVERYTHING personally. I read about this teenage phenomenon where teenagers believe they are constantly on a stage and everyone is watching them.. I still feel that way. I'm 27.

Other ways I'm sensitive: I'm a very light sleeper. I'm a great read of people, especially when people are lying or withholding information. I take every compliment and criticism home and analyze it.

I just think it's amazing how being emotionally sensitive carries over into being physically sensitive and vice versa.

Anyone else sensitive? All around or just in certain areas?
YES!!!!!
When I mentioned I was "sensitive" to certain foods (namely cow's milk) my boyfriend rolled his eyes and said "well of course you are". Meaning, I am sensitive to EVERYTHING you just listed above!!

I'm sensitive to noise and too much stimulation too - if I'm at a party or dinner or something, I often go to the bathroom just to be by myself in a quiet space.

I think they call it a "highly sensitive personality". I roll my eyes at it too - but it's true!! I hate it actually.....

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm food sensitive, especially with dairy, things made out of corn (like sun chips or taco shells). I'm also a light sleeper.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I'm very emotionally sensitive. I get my feelings hurt very easily.

My sinuses are very sensitive. It's getting to where I can't go out to eat in restaurants because people wear cologne and I can't breathe.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I sound pretty numb to the world compared to the rest of you guys, haha... I'm sensitive to nickel, so if I wear rings with nickel my finger will turn green/blue, if I wear a necklace with nickel I will get a rash on my neck, or if I wear earrings containing nickel my earlobes will start bleeding. But that's about it.. No food allergies, I'm not emotionally sensitive, etc.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #6  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layri View Post
I sound pretty numb to the world compared to the rest of you guys, haha... I'm sensitive to nickel, so if I wear rings with nickel my finger will turn green/blue, if I wear a necklace with nickel I will get a rash on my neck, or if I wear earrings containing nickel my earlobes will start bleeding. But that's about it.. No food allergies, I'm not emotionally sensitive, etc.
Generally I don't like being sensitive! I guess there's some things I like, such as being highly attuned to my surroundings, I read people and situations well and I notice small details.. but mostly being sensitive is a burden! I wish I could eat anything, sleep anyone, accept criticism, etc.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyra View Post
Generally I don't like being sensitive! I guess there's some things I like, such as being highly attuned to my surroundings, I read people and situations well and I notice small details.. but mostly being sensitive is a burden! I wish I could eat anything, sleep anyone, accept criticism, etc.
Ahh, from that it definitely seems like a burden, so I'm grateful that I only have jewelry to worry about. Though I would like to be more aware of my surroundings(environmentally sensitive I suppose?), in public places especially I'm usually off in my own world. So being sensitive does have its ups and downs in the end, eh?
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I'm not sensitive... in any way shape or fashion. I don't take things personally (and my downfall) I don't expect others to take offense or be sensitive. I'm almost cold hearted in a way. I don't get emotional during TOM. I guess the only sensitive thing about me is my two front teeth, they can be sensitive.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Jewel has a song ... So please be careful with me, I'm sensitive, and I'd like to stay that way.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #10  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Yep, I am sensitive. When I was little I loved going to my great-grandma's house because it was so quiet you could hear the clocks tick. With four kids in our household it was bedlam noisy. I couldn't stand it. I never liked the raucous rock-n-roll my friends were listening to as a teen...I tended to melodic folk.

One of my friends and I used to challenge one another to tears...see who could talk about something sad and make one another cry. I had a small circle of loyal friends...I just could not do the catty, cliquey thing. I was too sensitive to the feelings of others.

As a little kid teasing sent me into a fury of crying.

Food allergies-dairy, wheat and who knows what else!

I sleep with one of those soft, velour type blankets between myself and the covers...so soft and soothing.

A pack of loud teen boys at my house sends me fleeing to the shelter of my room.

I had to find another quiet, sensitive person to live my life with. And, luckily I found him in my DH!
Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #11  
Get through today

Ahh, yes, I am sensitive in a lot of ways. I hold things that are important to me very close to my heart... It's either at a distance (for me) or close to my heart... nothing in between.
I'm very sensitive about animals and animal abuse.
My teeth are sensitive.
I'm sensitive to dairy since I gave it up almost a year ago.
I'm very sensitive to smells, like scented lotions on my hands I can NOT handle, or strong perfume or those scent things that plug into the wall, or strong scented hand soap.
I'm sensitive to people's comments at times, but tend to miss subtly in people's comments.
I'm taken aback by crowds and will also find a quiet place to recharge (bathroom, bedroom, car)

I wish I was less sensitive, most of the time...
BellaHTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #12  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

I think there is a sensitive temperament. My younger son is sensitive, too. And he has been like that since he was a small child, as was I. He was the snuggliest little baby and cuddled everything; he was the Linus of the family (dragging his security blanket around). He cried easily and has always needed a lot of privacy. As a teen, he doesn't blast the music and he is soft-spoken and introverted. He used to hum when he ate, like the food was creating a symphony in his mouth or something!

He also has allergies as I have. And, I am with all of you about the smells things. Perfumes or scented things can give me a raging headache. Certain stores, like the Body Shop, hurt my head just walking by them.

I am also allegic to MSG and it gives me migraines. It is the only food I have found that does, and I really try to avoid it, but sometimes it is hidden in foods. The rainbowy visual scintillations before an MSG headache are kinda fun, but not when you're driving!

Mohair, angora and really wooly sweaters can drive my to distraction with itchiness (although not all) it seems to depend upon how the fabric is processed.

And, as someone else said, I am also a very light sleeper. All the elements have got to be just right for me to sleep well.

I am wondering if this sensitivity is unusual, or everyone is like this to some degree. I have always felt "different" because I need to go hide somewhere at really big events. I have never felt comfortable in huge crowds as some of you have also stated. My social discomfort at big parties etc. has been a real stumbling block to relationships in the past, especially if the other person in the relationship was much more outgoing. Interesting!

Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixotica View Post

Mohair, angora and really wooly sweaters can drive my to distraction with itchiness (although not all) it seems to depend upon how the fabric is processed.

And, as someone else said, I am also a very light sleeper. All the elements have got to be just right for me to sleep well.

I am wondering if this sensitivity is unusual, or everyone is like this to some degree. I have always felt "different" because I need to go hide somewhere at really big events. I have never felt comfortable in huge crowds as some of you have also stated. My social discomfort at big parties etc. has been a real stumbling block to relationships in the past, especially if the other person in the relationship was much more outgoing. Interesting!

Sheri
Yes me too, I can't wear any kind of wool, cashmere type sweaters they drive me crazy with the itchy feeling. same with any tags on the back of my shirts or pants.

As for the "go and hide" feeling, that's exactly what i was trying to describe when I said I go to the bathroom a lot while at parties, etc., to collect myself and get away from the over stimulation.

Same with malls - I can take about a hour of them and then it just gets too much.

It's all just too much sometimes!!!

And I wish I wasn't like this.....

PS - when I re-read my posts I sound like the most annoying person to be around ever! LOL.

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #14  

Height: 5'10"

i am incredibly emotionally sensitive, but i don't show it.

my skin is very sensitive, too. it sucks.
justkeepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Me too, joining the sensitive club here. There's a book about Sensitive people in relationships. But it's not just that, it's my skin, so sensitive, my tummy, what I eat... there's some book I read about personality types using Eastern wisdom, this sensitive type, needs lots of quiet time, comfort food, soft music, etc to be balanced - not over doing with hard core exercise better with walking, meditation, yoga etc. Might find my notes from that book again because I adopted some of the ideas- like in the am I like a quiet bath to start my day and don't operate as well rushed and hurried.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote