X-Mas Pressie for 20-Something Brother??

• I am confounded as to what to get my 21 year old brother for Christmas.
    He is a typical guy, in college but also in the Army-- going to be deployed in June. So this Christmas we want to make special just in case he won't be home for next Christmas. I am able to spend up to a max max max of $100 on him (but really, half that would suffice!).
    He always gets me a present every year and since he was like 16 it has always been from his own hard-earned money and he actually goes out shopping for my present (as well as for the rest of our family). So, he actually puts his time, money and thought into getting gifts and I want to do the same.

Help! Any Ideas??? My parents have no clue what to get him either and his girlfirend doesn't have any suggestions other than books! Which we have already got him!
  • Ipod?

There are a couple different options, you could get a 1gb shuffle for under $50 or if you want to combine with your parents on a gift, an ipod nano (4gb) is $104 and various prices beyond that. (amazon.com prices)

I think a good combo gift would be an ipod and an itunes gift card.

That is if he doesn't have an mp3 player already.
  • First, a big thankyou to your brother for his service to our country.

Does he have an Ipod type device? Plenty of inexpensive ones out there. Fill it with his/your favorite songs. He can think of you every time he's listening to it. How about a journal? Paperbook/pocket size. I'm sure they can be personalized with pictures, themes - craft shop style. Start it out with a Christmas-to-NewYears entry (your personal thoughts). From New Years until deployment, let the entire family share their 'thoughts of the day'. He can take that with him, continue it while he's gone and next Christmas (or when he returns) you can all share in the memories of this year.
  • I'll second an iPod device. Perhaps have everyone chip in on it and contribute songs, letters, recordings of your voices and photos for when he's homesick. Could also be loaded with a few e-books or audio books since you mentioned he enjoys reading.

Digital cameras are also great (and cheaper by the day) if he doesn't have one. It would allow him to share his experience with everyone. Another present everyone could contribute to, along with a little photo album of you guys?
  • Oh I have an idea!!

Since he is leaving... I don't know how to do it but a friend of mine made a scrapbook online using pictures/words she submitted and the company bound it and sent it to her. It might be nice if you could pull pictures of friends/family and print words of encouragement or what not in it. It'd be something for him to take and look at while he was away.

Edited to add: I looked it up and you can either search for 'photo books' or 'bound photo books' or 'bound scrapbooks'

Ones I found:
    www.blurb.com
    www.photoworks.com
    www.ourhubbub.com
  • What about kind of creating your own 'care package of the month' club for him. Similar to those 'fruit of the month' memberships that you can get someone, but instead of a company do it, your gift to him could be a promise of a care package from you for every month that he is deployed with little snacks, magazines and such. Then you could make up a 'care package of the month club' card to give him at Christmas.

It would be really fun for package to have a theme that you could list on the card, like a movie package with popcorn and candy, a stink-free package with baby wipes, soap and other toiletries, a games package with puzzle books and a mini board game...
  • The ipod that has everything...pictures, music, etc...
  • I dont know if hes into it but i know a lot of my guy friends still like playing video games. UmMm... Maybe go out on black friday and find a nice new digital camera. I know my b/f always appreciates the little things like white tee's, socks, boxers (not sure about buying those for your brother). Movie tickets and a gift card for a resturant so him and his g/f can have a nice night out together.
    Some nice cologne.
  • not sure how much this is in your area, or what hes been involved in with the army... but look into sky diving??? that'd be a lifetime experience...

I think it makes for a great gift
  • most 21 year old guys i know like booze.

but i do like the idea of an ipod loaded w/ some stuff from the family.
  • I like the iPod

Also, how about having the family gather pictures and make a memories scrapbook

It'll help him remember the family and bring him comfort during hard times.
  • i second the digital camera idea. go in with your parents and get a really nice one. my boyfriend was in the army, and having a camera was great because he traveled to so many cool places. plus, your brother could easily email pics home to you and the family that way.
  • Thank You all for your great suggestions!!!

I am definitely going to still being thinking on this one!! But now I actually have some ideas which I can decide among!!!

You all are fab!