How to get a last minute flight?

• Does anyone know the best way to get a decent deal on a last minute flight? I just found out my sister is pretty sick (think autoimmune disease attacking her liver, not the flu...) and going in for a bunch of tests. I'd like to be able to fly out (from San Diego to Pittsburgh) to help take care of her daughters and household and everything. The cheapest flights I can find leaving in the next day or two are $600.

Any suggestions?
  • I'm sorry.
    I always book my airline tickets at cheaptickets.com. Never last minute though.
    Good luck.
  • I haven't used them myself, but I've heard of LastMinute.com (http://us.lastminute.com/index.html).
  • Southwest has a 'wanna get away' deal, I just looked and base fare was 479 - tax included was 550. You leave at 3.
    Piriceline - 362 round trip (pre tax) if you can leave tomorrow.

Dont know if either of these are better than what you're looking at though
  • If you're willing to drive to an airport further away, that sometimes help. On travelocity you can select several airports and ask it to find the best deal.

Also, I know people who have had good experiences with setting their own price through priceline, although I've never used it myself.

Good luck to you and your sister!

Lisa
  • Your family is in my prayers.