General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/135

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post

She's pretty! I love her outlook! I find it odd and rude that Jim's parents got a cat knowing he's allergic to them.
I had the same reaction.

How can Jim's parents get a cat which would essentially mean he has to leaver their house. Weird unless he is over 18. He looks very young.

Wonderful that she has a great support network meaning her friends. I am sure she is charming and magnetic in person. You can just pick up on that by watching the show. And, she knows how to laugh at herself without putting herself down. That is so hard to do.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #17  
A work in progress

S/C/G: 209 / 206.6/ 145

Height: 5'6"

I have a feeling there's possibly more back story with Jim than we know. He seems like such a sweet kid!
PackersBearFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #18  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'8

I watched it last night and absolutely LOVED this show...I really enjoy Ruby's outlook and character she is very inspirational!
clewles81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Got a chance to watch it last night - so many mysteries. The nephew's parents really got rid of him for a cat? How did Ruby lose the first 200 lbs (isn't she down from 700+)? Are her friends trying to kill her with brownies AND praline cheesecake AND cheesy macaroni? How on earth did she ever meet that chick from Sweet Valley High and where is the other twin?? How can she teach Sunday school and work out but yet claims disability instead of finding a job? (I suppose her job is the show now)

She seems sweet on the surface, but she strikes me as very manipulative.

Last edited by Glory87; 11-11-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #20  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

As someone who is on disability, - the requirements of holding down a job that can support oneself is a lot different than the requirements needed to have a once weekly obligation of teaching Sunday school, and the non-time dependent chore of working out (unless she's working out eight hours every day, and never misses a day). Many of us on disability could hold down a job - if we were able to find a job that allowed us to work according to our needs (but what if that meant taking a half hour break every two hours - how many employers would accept that do you think?). Most employers require you to be able to work a specific shift, with limited breaks, and require regular and predictable attendance (even requiring two sick days every month could prevent a person from being hired by 99% of employers, especially if you can't predict which days you'll be unable to work).

Last edited by kaplods; 11-11-2008 at 09:36 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #21  

I did finally see the show tonight - and I don't think it's any secret to say that she can be manipulative - she talks about that, and I think it's part of the reality of any addiction - finding a way to get the substance of the addiction, by whatever means necessary. Though a friend handing her a piece of praline cheesecake (after she already had a brownie and a full, fatty Southern meal) is pretty much the equivalent of buying and bringing crack to a crack addict. It was one thing for the friend to say "this is how we eat" (as in, I'm not going to change my habits to help her), but the food pushing - what was that about?. And yet that is exactly what many of us face, even with loved ones who tell us how we've "got to do something" about our weight. My mom was the stereotypical food pusher, constantly telling me I shouldn't be eating whatever I was eating, and then pushing food on me, and getting upset if I wouldn't take it. She does that a lot less, but I know when we visit for Christmas, there will be some of that too.

I do have to say there must be a lot of weird stuff in that family they're not talking about. Getting rid of a kid to have a cat? Doesn't make any sense at all. The kid is definitely under 18, because they're talking about home-schooling (if he were over 18, then he'd be getting his GED, not being home-schooled). My guess (anyone else get this vibe) that the boy is gay and that's why his parents really wanted him out of the house? I don't know, but hubby and I got the same vibe, and couldn't believe we both came up with the same theory.

I guess what really struck a cord with me, is so many of the similar experiences and goals I have with her. The longing for simple things most people don't consider luxuries like riding a horse and taking bubble baths, the emnity with armed chairs and seat belts...

The show made me realize how far my measly 60 lbs has brought me. I no longer have sleep apnea, I can reach the top shelf, I can latch most seat belts (can't always breathe very well with them latched, but I can latch them) and I don't usually encounter chairs I can't fit into anymore. There are still a few, and restaurant booths are often still not my friend, (though recently I was able to fit into a restaurant booth that I hadn't been able to in the past, and you would have thought I'd won the lottery).

So far, I like the show. I think it's realistic and honest without being sensational. Is Ruby perfect? Of course not, a person with all her **** together probably wouldn't ever reach 473 lbs (or whatever she started at).

Last edited by kaplods; 11-12-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #22  

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for sharing your reflections on the show, Kaplods. I think you might be right about the nephew being gay then rejected. How sad. But I'm glad his Aunt Ruby is there to take him in! And I was confused about the GED comment even while I watched the show. I thought they actually said he HAD his GED, or helped him get his GED (as in past tense), but they did also say he was homeschooled. Eh, well the show isn't really about him anyway.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #23  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
How did Ruby lose the first 200 lbs (isn't she down from 700+)?
I wondered the same thing.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #24  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I do have to say there must be a lot of weird stuff in that family they're not talking about. Getting rid of a kid to have a cat? Doesn't make any sense at all. The kid is definitely under 18, because they're talking about home-schooling (if he were over 18, then he'd be getting his GED, not being home-schooled). My guess (anyone else get this vibe) that the boy is gay and that's why his parents really wanted him out of the house? I don't know, but hubby and I got the same vibe, and couldn't believe we both came up with the same theory.
I thought that perhaps he was a troubled kid. Maybe had a drug problem?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #25  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

S/C/G: 317/271/165

Height: 6'0''

If you go to the mystyle.com site and look at the reviews for the show the LA Times article is wonderful insight.
Bee20nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #26  

Yep, a drug problem would also make sense. I'm guessing that they're deliberately leaking information on Jim slowly - sometimes it's easy to forget that while the show may be unscripted, the producers are controlling what we learn and when. The show may be about Ruby, but as with any good soap opera there are subplots added for added suspense. Reality shows are unscripted, but they're carefully editied. I even wonder whether the huge meal and the food pushing was actually the producer's idea (the audience has to see Ruby eating, and witness the codependent nature of the relationship with her friends).

I constantly have to remind myself that reality tv isn't necessarily 100% "real." Still, I much prefer this type of "day in the life of," style of filming than the "let's put people in situations they'd never encounter in real life and see what happens," especially in terms of weight loss. Ruby's experiences, even if some of them are set up just for the camera, have a lot more relevance to my life than TBL.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #27  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

For those who don't get the style network, or don't have cabel tv, I found Ruby on iTunes today and immedialty downloaded it. I plan to watch it while I do cardio tonight and I can't wait. ****, I may even end up watching it on my computer here at work today with my boss.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #28  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Yep, a drug problem would also make sense. I'm guessing that they're deliberately leaking information on Jim slowly - sometimes it's easy to forget that while the show may be unscripted, the producers are controlling what we learn and when. The show may be about Ruby, but as with any good soap opera there are subplots added for added suspense. Reality shows are unscripted, but they're carefully editied. I even wonder whether the huge meal and the food pushing was actually the producer's idea (the audience has to see Ruby eating, and witness the codependent nature of the relationship with her friends).

I constantly have to remind myself that reality tv isn't necessarily 100% "real." Still, I much prefer this type of "day in the life of," style of filming than the "let's put people in situations they'd never encounter in real life and see what happens," especially in terms of weight loss. Ruby's experiences, even if some of them are set up just for the camera, have a lot more relevance to my life than TBL.
Well put. What's TBL?

Another thought on the weight she's lost. Remember the jerk? I would really love to put stronger language about him here but I know it'd be VERY censored. "I'll marry you if you lose weight". That guy. Did anyone besides me want to push him off that motorcycle?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #29  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

The Biggest Loser ~ MARE
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #30  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thanks. I should have known that. I think I'm the only person on here who doesn't watch that show.