General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lisa~I recently tried to read a Margaret Atwood book (The Blind Assassin) and had the hardest time getting into it that I finally dropped it. I had never read her stuff before, but did like the movie The Handmaid's Tale. I may have to try another of hers.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #62  
Terminating Cellulite

S/C/G: 211.5 / See Ticker / 150 140

Height: 5' 7"

I've started the DaVinci Code, but so far it is so dry and sterile! I like a book that grabs me from the beginning and takes me for a ride. I fear this one is not it.

But I'll give it more of a chance. We will see.
Sarah C0nn0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
Glory, I've read five or six books by Anita Shreve and have enjoyed them all. I believe Fortune's Rocks was my favorite. I have her A Wedding in December but haven't yet read it.

I just started reading Moral Disorder, a book of short stories by Margaret Atwood, my favorite living author. I'm not really in the mood for short stories, but I'm biding my time until I get my next shipment from Bookswim, which will include the next Queen Betsy vampire book and World Without End by Ken Follett.

Long post!
Hey Lisa, I just finished Testimony and I enjoyed it. It really built and built up to the ending. I loved Pillars of the Earth (top 10 favorite book of mine) but was kind of "eh" over World Without End - mostly because I thought it was too deriviative of Pillars. Both books shared the same arch type characters. I guess if I had never read Pillars, I would have loved World, but as it was I was frequently annoyed by what I felt was laziness by the author!

I finished Jennifer Crusie's Fast Women, and it was just okay. I'm not sure what's next!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Allison - The Blind Assassin is my favorite Atwood, but I read it after years of reading all her other books and getting used to her style, so I probably didn't notice that it was tough to get into, though I can see how that would be the case. You might like The Robber Bride or Cat's Eye.

Glory - I'm wondering if World Without End is worth reading, but I think I'll probably give it a go. I'm glad to hear Testimony was good. A Wedding in December was really good. I actually loved it. Just finished it this morning. Something about Anita Shreve's writing is just really lovely. I found mysef wanting the book to keep going as I turned the last page.

Sarah - I hated The Da Vinci Code. Yes, the subject matter is interesting, but the whole time I was reading it I kept thinking I'd be better served by reading a well written article or nonfiction book about it. The cheesy thriller setup and crappy writing did nothing for me.

Speaking of cheesy, I'm putting the Atwood stories aside for a while so I can read the next installment in the Queen Betsy vampire series, Undead and Unemployed. Very light reading after the slightly heavy Shreve book. After that, possibly the Follett.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lisa~I'll try some more Atwood books. Thanks for the recommendation! Just to let you know, I loved both of the Follett books.

You want to know what's sad? Yesterday at Costco, I was perusing the book stacks and I couldn't find a single book that appealed to me. What will I do?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote