OK Herbal Chicks...

• Is Chamomile safe to drink while I'm preggers?

I've been downing Chamomile tea for the last 12 hours (really, really sick, and it's the only thing that's calmed my stomach and soothed my throat). It's loose, bud-like stuff, that I got at a loose-leaf tea store. Anyway, it's not bagged, mixed or "medicinal", if any of those make any difference.

I didn't even think about it until I told my mom and she questioned its safety.
  • Check webmd, I would think. They're usually pretty good about that stuff.
  • My family is big into homeopathic remedies to our ailments, which always presents a problem when I'm pregnant.

From what I've read, because chamomile teas (and other herbal teas for that matter) usually contain small amounts of the actual herb - it is probably safe to consume in moderation during pregnancy. You should, however, avoid stronger medicinal versions of chamomile - including chamomile oil.

I'm not sure you should be downing it, though...try sticking to a cup or at most two a day. If you are still feeling queasy, try steeping some ginger root in hot water and adding a little honey. The ginger will calm your stomach and the honey, your throat.