3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   My Family Is A Sitcom! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/154649-my-family-sitcom.html)

EZMONEY 10-21-2008 11:19 PM

My Family Is A Sitcom!

I was watching a re-run of That 70's Show tonight, then a Everybody Loves Raymond. It got me thinking to how close my family resembles some of the characters.

What is your family like...Happy Days....or does it need Home Improvement ;)

MULTIPLE CHOICES are allowed!

Operator265 10-21-2008 11:58 PM

I have a 20 yr old and a 15 yr old living with me(we are all chicks, PMS and all). More like a horror theme going on here. Maybe Dark Shadows.

zeffryn 10-22-2008 12:07 AM

Hrm...I'm not familiar with the characters in any of those shows....am I really that out of touch?

lizziep 10-22-2008 01:00 AM

heh- growing up my family was most like Roseanne.

My hubby and I are kinda like Ray and Debra- except instead of golf he plays WOW and - we don't have any kids.

HVEECK 10-22-2008 01:10 AM

LOL, growing up my family was exactly like roseanne except that my mom and dad were divorced. now, i'd say we are more like everybody loves raymond. still a little of roseanne too :)

aphil 10-22-2008 08:31 AM

We are a real life version of Everybody Loves Raymond.

We have a Marie-the MIL who tried to tell everyone how to do everything, great at guilt trips and pitting siblings against one another, thinks that she is the only one in the world who can cook anything...

We have the Frank-the FIL who always has a smart-___ comment about everything and everyone...

We have TWO sets of the Raymond/Robert sibling rivalry. Me, with my younger brother, and my husband and his younger sister.

I am the "Debra" to my MIL, the Marie. Boy I could tell you some stories!

zeffryn 10-22-2008 09:11 AM

Ok, with Aphil's description of Marie from Everybody Loves Raymond, I would have to say my MIL is exactly the same.

Is this a pre-requisite to be a mother in law? She must have gotten some sort of mother-in-law education, she is a freakin' pro.

ronni62 10-22-2008 09:13 AM

Growing up we definitely were like All in the Family-my dad even looks like Archie Bunker! And, my sis and I were the 'good little girls' who eventually went and rebelled and got married to 'unsuitable' men-:lol:

Now, my DH is definitely the Tim Taylor type-always modifying and inventing and he's sooo into cars and racing! I'm also like Jill and totally outnumbered by the testosterone-carrying members of the family. Now, if I only had her quick wit to be able to keep DH in his place;)

ronni62 10-22-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeffryn (Post 2419901)
Ok, with Aphil's description of Marie from Everybody Loves Raymond, I would have to say my MIL is exactly the same.

Is this a pre-requisite to be a mother in law? She must have gotten some sort of mother-in-law education, she is a freakin' pro.

:rofl: I think while we were in those pre-marriage classes, they have secret mil classes to learn how to be that way!

zeffryn 10-22-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronni62 (Post 2419911)
:rofl: I think while we were in those pre-marriage classes, they have secret mil classes to learn how to be that way!

It has to be something....everyone I talk to has the same experiences, while at the same time thinking that their mother is completely innocent....

Ask my DH ;)

futuresize6 10-22-2008 09:49 AM

I used to like my mother in law alot, years ago, then things got steadily worse and worse, now "tolerate" is the word I use to descibe my relationship withher. But I have no relationship with my own family so I have no warm spot for my mom as well.(sorry, hope not TMI)
"Respect and Boundaries" are the words that need to be reinforced with MOST MILs. My husband is the only boy and the oldest so he walks on water with my MIL as well as the late grandmother. So being married to the baby Jesus is difficult at best sometimes.

bargoo 10-22-2008 10:13 AM

My MIL makes Marie look like a saint. I said if I am a MIL I will not be like that. I am a MIL and have kept my promise, my DIL often says she doesn't know she has a MIL.

Hat Trick 10-22-2008 10:15 AM

We're more like Fringe -- strange, quirky, unexplainable, odd and comical -- all rolled into one. I'm Walter. :D

zeffryn 10-22-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by futuresize6 (Post 2419981)
I used to like my mother in law alot, years ago, then things got steadily worse and worse, now "tolerate" is the word I use to descibe my relationship withher. But I have no relationship with my own family so I have no warm spot for my mom as well.(sorry, hope not TMI)
"Respect and Boundaries" are the words that need to be reinforced with MOST MILs. My husband is the only boy and the oldest so he walks on water with my MIL as well as the late grandmother. So being married to the baby Jesus is difficult at best sometimes.

:lol: The baby Jesus part made me crack up.

So, apparently it is something with the mothers of the only boy in the family that has these problems. My MIL treats my DH like he is a saint....

MindiV 10-22-2008 11:57 AM

I'm going for an option not listed..."Roseanne." But more back woods and gooberiffic...My dad is dating my aunt, if that tells you anything...