3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   religion and plastic surgery (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/153765-religion-plastic-surgery.html)

FreeSpirit 10-10-2008 01:07 PM

religion and plastic surgery

I've been thinking alot lately about plastic surgery. I know there's a forum for that but that's not my problem.

I'm a very religious person and I am just so confused right now. I'm unhappy with how my body looks because of my loose skin and saggy breasts, even though I'm only 20 years old. I feel like it shouldn't be this way...

I'm married, and my husband loves my body for how it is, so why would I want plastic surgery when no one else but him is going to see my body? I can't help but feel so bad about myself when I look at my body in the mirror.

It feels wrong in my heart to get plastic surgery, I feel like changing my body for superficial reasons would just take me farther away from God. I've asked for guidance but I still feel so confused.

Does any one have any opinions or advice?

zenor77 10-10-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovelypurple (Post 2403527)
It feels wrong in my heart to get plastic surgery, I feel like changing my body for superficial reasons would just take me farther away from God. I've asked for guidance but I still feel so confused.

Does any one have any opinions or advice?

I think you've answered your own question. If it feels wrong in your heart then don't do it. Always follow your heart/gut feeling.

Wait to see where you are at when you hit your goal. You'll be amazed what a difference those last few pounds make. Exercise will help a lot too. Also, at least in my case, my skin and breasts took longer to catch up then my weight loss did. Things firmed up about 6 mos to 1 year after I hit goal. So, I'd give it time.

PhotoChick 10-10-2008 01:16 PM

I'm not religious, but I was raised in the church ... so take this for whatever you find it's worth.

Why would God give us the ability to do these amazing things - plastic surgery and so forth, if he didn't mean for us to use them?

Do you think that the child who has a birthmark removed, changing his or her body for reasons of looks only, is taking himself farther away from God?
Do you think that the man who is burned in a fire and has his burn scars removed is taking himself farther away from God?

And take it a step further.

Does the woman who dyes her hair to hide the gray? Is she removing herself from God?
What about wearing makeup? That's a huge superficial change. Does that remove you from God?

Obviously you have to do what's in your heart, but *if* I were a religious person, I would believe that God had more important things to consider about your closeness to him than whether or not you chose to have some loose skin removed to make yourself feel more attractive.

That's just me.

FreeSpirit 10-10-2008 01:16 PM

Thanks guys

yoyonomoreinvegas 10-10-2008 01:20 PM

I am not as deeply religious as you are but I do consider myself spiritual, and think I have a very harmonious relationship with God. The God I know would not fault you for wanting to be more comfortable in your own skin - I mean it's not like you are thinking of getting breast implants so you can become a stripper or something :eek: . If God wasn't the one who made you gain the weight in the first place, then He only gave you the extra skin to make room for the weight you gained. He's not going to mind if you give it back because you don't need it any more. He would want you to be happy.

hillarym 10-10-2008 01:42 PM

I've been lurking around the boards for ages, but your post really encouraged me to finally join up and post something. I also try (key word) to hold true to my faith and live in a way that will bring me closer to God. When I was 20 I had liposuction on my arms because I really hated my "bat wings" and there was nothing I could ever do to get rid of them (my plastic surgeon, who was also a family friend and wouldn't have just used a line to get another client, agreed). So, I didn't feel bad about it going in. However, after I had the surgery I started to feel very guilty. I remember crying and thinking "how could I have been so selfish?" "how could I have been so vain that I was willing to risk my life- even though the risk was very small?" I remember apologizing to God for caring so much about worldly things that we're not supposed to worry about.

BUT, that passed. Now I'm very happy that I had the surgery. I love my arms. I love feeling comfortable in tank tops and short sleeve shirts. I'm not uncomfortable about waving goodbye to people. And, ultimately, it's led me to think less about my body (that part, anyway). I know that God doesn't care what my arms look like. I know that none of my friends or family care about my arms. I know what's important in life. I separate the part of me that cares about the little vanities of the earth from the part of me that cares about the things that really matter. Both parts exist because we were made that way. The part that cares about the outside is only problematic if it takes control of the part that knows what's important. That's just me, though. That view works for me in my life. But, it may not work for you. If you really feel bad about wanting surgery it may not be right for you. I know this is a long answer that isn't really an answer at all- after all, it's a decision only you can make. But, I thought my experience might be helpful.

ANOther 10-10-2008 01:48 PM

2¢ worth from someone who's pretty lapsed: Talk to your pastor (I assume you're some sort of Christian) or other spiritual advisor, I bet they'd tell you not to worry about it, God loves you whatever you choose to do in this situation

FreeSpirit 10-10-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillarym (Post 2403593)
I've been lurking around the boards for ages, but your post really encouraged me to finally join up and post something. I also try (key word) to hold true to my faith and live in a way that will bring me closer to God. When I was 20 I had liposuction on my arms because I really hated my "bat wings" and there was nothing I could ever do to get rid of them (my plastic surgeon, who was also a family friend and wouldn't have just used a line to get another client, agreed). So, I didn't feel bad about it going in. However, after I had the surgery I started to feel very guilty. I remember crying and thinking "how could I have been so selfish?" "how could I have been so vain that I was willing to risk my life- even though the risk was very small?" I remember apologizing to God for caring so much about worldly things that we're not supposed to worry about.

BUT, that passed. Now I'm very happy that I had the surgery. I love my arms. I love feeling comfortable in tank tops and short sleeve shirts. I'm not uncomfortable about waving goodbye to people. And, ultimately, it's led me to think less about my body (that part, anyway). I know that God doesn't care what my arms look like. I know that none of my friends or family care about my arms. I know what's important in life. I separate the part of me that cares about the little vanities of the earth from the part of me that cares about the things that really matter. Both parts exist because we were made that way. The part that cares about the outside is only problematic if it takes control of the part that knows what's important. That's just me, though. That view works for me in my life. But, it may not work for you. If you really feel bad about wanting surgery it may not be right for you. I know this is a long answer that isn't really an answer at all- after all, it's a decision only you can make. But, I thought my experience might be helpful.

:hug: Thank you for sharing, and I'm so glad you decided to join!

I know that I love God, and nothing is going to change that. I know what's important to me as well.

I feel like God did make my body, but God didn't make me obese. Although I don't feel very attractive, I DO know that God will love me no matter what. I love who I am on the inside, I think I'm a good person, I just don't love the way I look on the outside. Not because I don't love how God made my body, because I don't love what I did to the body God made for me.

Does that make sense or am I just spoutin steam, here? lol

raw23 10-10-2008 02:00 PM

Your still young and have more elasticity in your skin, it should go back to normal. Give it time.
I'm fairly religious and dont see a problem with surgery itself. But do what you feel God is convicting you of. If, for example, you feel that He wants you to help or minister to overweight women and he keeps the hanging skin around as a reminder of where you were, then keep it. I wouldn't want to step an inch out of God's plan. But do what you think He thinks is best for you.
But like I said, your young and it will probably go back.
And remember, God sees the heart.

modkittn 10-10-2008 02:55 PM

Maybe if you thought of it as accentuating what God gave you instead of "changing" it? I heard someone say this once, and I thought it was interesting!

PhotoChick 10-10-2008 02:59 PM

Another perspective here is that God gave you a body and you failed to care for it properly - allowing it to become overweight and saggy. So now you're going to do what you can to make it right and put it back the way it should be.

Glory87 10-10-2008 03:12 PM

Sorry running late and didn't get a chance to read all the replies.

Should I feel bad I had braces (twice!)? Maybe god intended me to have huge bucky the beaver teeth and I should have just stuck with that!

If so, I intend to have some serious words with God sometime in the distant (hopefully) future.

GONNABE165 10-10-2008 03:21 PM

The best advice I could give is to pray about it - God will let you know.

Remember no matter what you decide God is a forgiving God