General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 227.4/227.4/150

Height: 5'1"

Default Anyone have/has had their kids question Santa this year yet????

My daughter(AKA-Lois Lane, roving reporter),9 yrs, has stated that she knows there is no Santa and she thinks my husband and I are bringing the gifts. She has an 11 yr old brother who I suspect doesn't believe as well who is smart enough to know to keep his mouth zipped. So she lays this on me the other day and I keep cool and tell her to think about it-how can dad and I afford all the stuff that Santa brings, so she gives me her reasoning listed A through Z.
I personally am not ready to let "Santa" go yet-but it's over. My babes are smart now-I figured it out when I was 7 so I guess I got a couple more years out of it then my mom did. I'm bummed.
So now they can help with the gift bills this year-LOL!!!
futuresize6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #2  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

hahahaha This post made me laugh!!!

My soon-to-be 8 year old Lily (birthday 12/26) has questioned me about Santa this year, too. Seems some know-it-all on the bus told her Santa was really parents, and she being the smart cookie she is, has started putting 2 and 2 together.

I think she's smart enough to go with it this year, because I already told her I'm taking her to Disney in February from Daddy and me this year, so not to expect anything under the tree from us. She knows if there's no Santa, it's gonna be a pretty lean Christmas!!!! hehehe

As much as I cherish this magical time in a kid's life, I am secretly excited for Santa to no longer exist. He's always such a hero each year, much to the detriment of my pocketbook!!

PS If Lily still believes in him when she's 11, I might have to break the news to her myself! hehehehe
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #3  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

I don't think neither my 6 or 7 yr olds really believe it anymore. I think they pretend to because they don't want the gifts (and tooth fairy money!) to stop coming

It doesn't last long enough. They grow too fast.
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

My DD is 10 in January and she still believes in Santa and the Tooth Fairy. She tells me some of her friends don't believe but it hasn't dissuaded her - I think chooses to believe.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

We were never encouraged to believe in Santa. We celebrated St. Nicholas Day (December 6) which was the "real" santa's birthday. On the previous night, children put one empty shoe (or sock) outside (for us it was the fireplace), and on the following morning the children find presents. My mom gave us something to eat, something made of wood, and something to wear. She would also throw gold chocolate coins around the mantle because St Nicholas would throw coins through the windows of his friends who he knew needed money. He was a very generous man. He would walk thorugh the streets and pass out gingerbread cookies, when kids saw him coming they called him the "gingerbread man."
It was kinda cool to get two Christmases. My mom would also go to our classrooms on St Nicholas Day when we were kids and tell the class the story of St Nicholas and bring gingerbread men. It was a great way to honor a man who helped a lot of people, especially orphans, and still combat the "Santa" issue. I never got gifts from "Santa" and my parents got all the credit for their gift giving. I never understood why parents would want to pass the credit for their hours of shopping and money spent... on to an imaginary man???

I would really recommend doing this. It made the holdays extra special. I'll definately be doing this when I have kids.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw23 View Post
I never understood why parents would want to pass the credit for their hours of shopping and money spent... on to an imaginary man???
Because it's fun.

I don't give Santa all of the credit. My kids are smart, and they know that if a present has been under the tree for 2 weeks with their name on it, that Santa obviously didn't bring it while they were sleeping. We always have most of the gifts under the tree from us...but then after the kids go to bed, we put out a single present for each of them (usually unwrapped, but with a big bow and name tag on them) that is from Santa. Santa always is the one who fills their stockings with fruit, candy, etc. as well.

My older two (7 and 10) are starting to finally question, too...but hopefully they won't ruin it for the baby (2). I'd like to have a few more years of the game with him.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #7  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post

My older two (7 and 10) are starting to finally question, too...but hopefully they won't ruin it for the baby (2). I'd like to have a few more years of the game with him.
I am the oldest by 3 years. I remember how grown-up I felt being in on the secret with my parents and being part of keeping it special for my younger brother and sister. Once your 10 year old catches on, I'll bet he/she will be thrilled to help you.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #8  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresize6 View Post
My daughter(AKA-Lois Lane, roving reporter),9 yrs, has stated that she knows there is no Santa and she thinks my husband and I are bringing the gifts. She has an 11 yr old brother who I suspect doesn't believe as well who is smart enough to know to keep his mouth zipped. So she lays this on me the other day and I keep cool and tell her to think about it-how can dad and I afford all the stuff that Santa brings, so she gives me her reasoning listed A through Z.
I personally am not ready to let "Santa" go yet-but it's over. My babes are smart now-I figured it out when I was 7 so I guess I got a couple more years out of it then my mom did. I'm bummed.
So now they can help with the gift bills this year-LOL!!!
Your children seem like wonderful, free thinkers....be proud.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #9  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

What? There's no Santa? That cant be true!
OMG...No Santa?
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/140

Height: Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebRover View Post
I am the oldest by 3 years. I remember how grown-up I felt being in on the secret with my parents and being part of keeping it special for my younger brother and sister. Once your 10 year old catches on, I'll bet he/she will be thrilled to help you.

That is exactly what we do to. My kids are 17 and 14 now. However, when the oldest one knew the secret he would really look forward to helping fill the stockings for his younger sister and us. Now that everyone is informed we all purchase some little thing for everyone elses stocking. They go up Christmas eve day and are sneakily filled throught the day.

We've always only had the stockings be from Santa - never the tree gifts.

Last edited by Patt0; 10-09-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Patt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:22 AM   #11  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

tsk what's the business about no Santa?! I still get presents from Santa and I'm 28. And that know it all on the bus? Well she doesn't believe because she didn't get anything because she was on THE LIST! lmao.

Seriously though- I really think a lot of my drive to want a kid has to do with bringing magic back into the holidays and into my life. As long as you can keep magic and fun alive for your children you're a hero and your kids will grow up to appreciate that.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 313/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Oh my...this post has made my biological clock tick even louder! haha! Maybe I should move the wedding date up and get cracking on those babies? LOL
nicoledg is offline   Reply With Quote