General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #1  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Thumbs up Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders: Making the Team

Maybe this sounds odd, but I find the reality show, "Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders: Making the Team," to be very motivating.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20080917cmt01

I never watched it in its first season (it airs on CMT, Saturday nights), but caught it in its second season (last year) and was HOOKED. The third season started tonight (and reruns later this week), and I've already programmed it into my TiVo for the season.

I've never had any aspirations of being a professional cheerleader (or even a college or high school cheerleader--I was a "little league" cheerleader or whatever, back in my single-digit ages, but so was every little girl in our small town), so it's not about that. It's not about the boobs and hips and boots and big hair (although that's all delicious and delightful too). It's not about tradition or football or Texas.

I guess it's that the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders have always been sort of "the right proportions" for my mindset. They're not super-skinny stick figures with no meat on their bones, no curves, no woman-ness. (I'm not saying one has to be "curvy" in order to be a "woman;" I'm saying that I grew up being taught that my boobs were BAD and my hips were BAD and my dancers' thighs were BAD and if I could be built more like a boy I could be happy. And since my general body shape is never going to change *that* drastically, I prefer finding a way to get "okay" with having what I HAVE... and making it its healthiest.)

So, for me, seeing these HEALTHY, well-proportioned, WOMEN doing seriously physically grueling routines and dances just REALLY motivates me to know that I can be absolutely fit and healthy and HAPPY (take that, DAD) even with my boobs and hips and thighs being ample.

It's motivating to know that losing weight doesn't mean losing the shape of my body. Getting healthy doesn't mean changing my build. Being physically active and fit can come WITH boobs and hips and thighs (and big hair, for that matter--even though mine is really flat and straight).

Anyway, wasn't sure if anyone else was watching this show (or felt motivated by it), but I wanted to share my thoughts on it and put it on your radar if it sounds like something that could motivate you too. Yeah, it's the standard reality competition show with eliminations and dramatic cuts to commercial right before the big reveal and LOTS of tears. But I'm hooked and I think it has as much to do with my fitness goals as it does with "junk TV" that's fun to watch.

And I'm saying this today, celebrating having gone from 47-40-49 (bust, waist, hips measurements) to 42.5-34-44 so far this year. Now THAT is worth cheering about, I'd say.
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I always get so disappointed when I watch stuff like that because I know that my body will NEVER be like theirs.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

I *LOVE* that show!!!

Although the POD where they measure body fat freaks me out. I remember watching one season, (in 2007 I think) where one girl, they kept telling her to tone her tummy section (and in the end, she wound up being cut. they wanted her to take a year off and lose the weight in a healthy way)...and i don't know how tall she was, but she weighed 138 pounds (I think that's what she said, if memory serves correctly).

...but for the DCC, she did need to be more toned. But I like that they teach the girls good eating habits, and how to exercise right. And how to make the exercise FUN!

Anyway....I like the show a lot. I'll have to see when it's on so I can watch it.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #4  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypurple View Post
I always get so disappointed when I watch stuff like that because I know that my body will NEVER be like theirs.
Well, I guess I just have gotten really good at never comparing myself to others like that. I look at them and think, "Wow! They're curvy *and* fit! They're athletic and strong and also still have lady-lumps."

I think I'd drive myself nuts if I looked at others and thought, "I'll never have ____." Mean, think of the ways in which that could go off-the-charts bad! Money, looks, career, geographical location, possessions, level of happiness, faith, confidence, spouse, etc., etc. etc.

No thanks! I love EVERYTHING I've got and just work to make it its best. This particular show actually motivates that in me somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Ballerina View Post
I *LOVE* that show!!!

Although the POD where they measure body fat freaks me out. I remember watching one season, (in 2007 I think) where one girl, they kept telling her to tone her tummy section (and in the end, she wound up being cut. they wanted her to take a year off and lose the weight in a healthy way)...and i don't know how tall she was, but she weighed 138 pounds (I think that's what she said, if memory serves correctly).

...but for the DCC, she did need to be more toned. But I like that they teach the girls good eating habits, and how to exercise right. And how to make the exercise FUN!

Anyway....I like the show a lot. I'll have to see when it's on so I can watch it.
Yeah! I watched the TiVoed episode last night and it was awesome. One of the choreographers has a daughter in the auditioning bunch this season. Very dramatic! Of course. Reality TV.

I agree that their focus on fitness and healthy eating and good habits is really positive. Especially for young women!

When I watched last night, it said new episodes would air Saturdays at 6:30pm on CMT, but I know they have reruns too. Hope you're able to find it. The "fun exercise" angle is really valuable for me. I just want to get up and MOVE when those girls get out there and do their routines. I know I'll never move QUITE like that, but if it makes me want to wiggle even a few calories off, that's a start!
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote