General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #1  

Default Shh...a question about the 3fc site itself

Whispers so to not offend.....When did this site get soooo commercial? I mean, I get trying to pay the bills, but wow. This is the first discussion board I've seen that has ADS half way through the individual board postings themselves. WOW And there are so many, and they are so constant, I'm not sure what to believe outside of the boards themselves...for the mostpart.
40stillfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Running a message board takes considerable time and money and guess what the ads pay for that. I've noticed no changes in the recent months and I'm not bothered by the ads. I do believe there is an option for a paid subscription that will remove the ads if they bother you.
As far as ads within the board postings - are you sure you were logged in? That only happens to me if I'm not logged in with my user name.

Last edited by Fat Chick B Gone; 09-30-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Running a message board is expensive. I know. I've done it.

And one that has as high a participation level as this one must cost a FORTUNE. And yet, Suzanne and her sisters provide it for us for FREE ...

Quite frankly, if you want to see the boards w/out ads, then perhaps it's time to pony up for a paid subscription.

I guess since I know the cost and time involved, I'm a HUGE believer in paying for what I use, so I subscribed earlier this year. Not only do I get to support a place that means a lot to me, I also don't see any ads any more.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I own a womens messege board and speaking for myself it can be quite costly to keep a board up and running especially one this size.

The ads do not bother me at all but I believe if you become a member you do not have to deal with them.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

This link will tell you how to subscribe to the ad-free forum.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35036

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

The ads do not bother me anymore than the ads in the newspaper or magazines.

Last edited by bargoo; 10-01-2008 at 09:03 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you wanna talk ads, how about TV, especially cable TV where you pay and there are still ads. I got so tired of TV ads that I cut my cable subscription and bought/rented DVDs instead and it is so much cheaper and so much better.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #8  
Operator265

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Running a message board is expensive. I know. I've done it.

And one that has as high a participation level as this one must cost a FORTUNE. And yet, Suzanne and her sisters provide it for us for FREE ...

Quite frankly, if you want to see the boards w/out ads, then perhaps it's time to pony up for a paid subscription.

I guess since I know the cost and time involved, I'm a HUGE believer in paying for what I use, so I subscribed earlier this year. Not only do I get to support a place that means a lot to me, I also don't see any ads any more.

I didn't even think about it until earlier this week when I was checking out a different type of forum. The ads don't bother me, but I was thinking about how much I use this one and that I really should be supporting it by doing more than just gracing everyone with my presence.

I mean, unlike some of the other places, they don't push for donations while also having ads on every square inch. And just by logging in, you don't have the ones in between postings.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #9  
Operator265

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
The adso not bother me anymore than the ads in the newspaper or magazines.
I HATE trying to read magazines anymore b/c of the ads. ****, half the time you can't even find the second, third or fourth part of an article because of them being surrounded by ads. I even read one where the "2nd Half" was 5 stupid lines long. And those cards they put in to make the mags pop open in certain places. And 10 pages of ads before you get to the Table of Contents. I could go on.

Oh yeah, and our local paper now even have Sticky Note Ads that they put right on the front page headline. I always tear them off and hand them right to the cashier as I buy them.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #10  
Determined to lose!

Ah, even though ads are a nuisance, they work! Whats the first thing that pops into your mind when you need something, say underwear... "Hanes" "fruit of the loom" or even "Victoria secret" yet how many brands are there? So in essence, the companies will continue to annoy us, the lay men, with their ads!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Hmm, I never noticed it before but you're right, the interspersed ads do go away when I log-in, but the ad on the side for Fresh Approach diet store stays. And it's not the only board with interspersed ads, when I lurk on the Straight Dope there's an ad below the first post in every thread. Doesn't bother me one way or the other

Last edited by ANOther; 09-30-2008 at 04:07 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

If you use Modzilla Firefox as your browser, most ads (on all sites) will be gone. They have a great ad blocker. The only ads I see on 3fcs are on the homepage, which I look at occasionally to see whats new in weight loss.

Last edited by zenor77; 09-30-2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: grammar
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Well the ads support the site and honestly I would be extremely upset if I found out the site had to be shut down because of costs. I would gladly see the ads. I'd gladly pay. I have to say the support here is well worth dealing with a couple ads or paying a small fee.

Last edited by nelie; 09-30-2008 at 05:48 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #14  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I am more than happy to pay the subscription for an ad-free site. It's well worth it for the time I spend here and all the advice and support I've gotten here. The inserts in magazines has definitely gotten worse, as the quality of the paper used has deteriorated. Very annoying!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #15  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

so lets remember to click on the ads!!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote