General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 281/251/165

Height: 5'6

Exclamation Diet Pop? Giving Up?

Since I am starting my diet again, I want to do it right. I drink a fair amount of "diet pepsi" - Not my best choice of soft drinks. However, I want to quit it completely. I know it would better for me since the aspartame in it, I know definitely isn't good for me. I think it'll be better for me to succeed, however I've been drinking it for so long, I don't know how to stop it... It's a sad addiction. I need help. Some ideas on how to stop. Go slow? Quit it completely? It's like a drug, but one you drink. I've wanted to stop for a while, I'd stop for a week then start drinking it again. My sister drinks pepsi (we live together), so I see her drinking pepsi, so I'll run to the store and grab myself a diet pepsi... Ugh. I know I want to stop it, but how do I tell my head that?

Suggestions anyone? My diet and health is very important to me - Which is why I need to do it right this time. No diet pop, and stick to it. It's almost as bad as chocolate which I love too, however for some reason I can control myself with that - Weird.
albertagirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #2  

I used to have a major diet coke addiction (many cans a day), and I cut back and then stopped. Now I only drink diet coke when dining out, and exclusively drink water at home.
j45rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

I read a 'study' about artificial sweeteners. It's 'gist' was when sweet taste passes over your tongue, your body prepares for a sugar rush. With artificial sweeteners, that sugar rush doesn't happen. Over time, that messes with your metabolism. That makes sense to me. I have given up diet drinks and Splenda in my iced tea. It was hard. But I notice now that when I'm drinking artifically sweetened drinks, I'm also gaining weight. When I'm drinking water, I'm losing, or at least, maintaining.

Maybe inspiration to give up that diet pepsi...
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I didn't exactly go cold turkey, I think a had a few cans the first or second week. But I have had very little since then. And I was drinking tons (of Diet Coke). Tons. I think it was a way of stuffing things in and staying in denial. Once I had totally changed how I eat, I just didn't really need it anymore. I still want it, but I don't crave it anymore.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 310/281.5/279 (10%)

Height: 5' 1"

Just try to cut back at first, replace it with water. Maybe drink at least one glass of water before each can of pop.

I was a serious diet pepsi and diet dr. pepper addict for years, I barely drank anything else. We're talking several cans a day, sometimes almost a 2-liter bottle in a day.

I started drinking unsweetened iced tea (I'd use Splenda, but I don't like sweet tea) and just trying to drink more water and tea in place of soda, and within several days I had cut back to one or two sodas a day. Now I easily go 2 or 3 days without soda at all. I don't always choose to, I'll occasionally have a soda, but it's a choice now. Before, the thought of an evening without soda to drink would stress me out, I'd have to run to the store and get some or I'd anticipate just feeling miserable!

I'd recommend you make the change gradually until you just have one occasion or not at all, if that's your preference, rather than stopping cold turkey. The withdrawals I had every time I tried to stop cold turkey--omg, such sick headaches! Probably from caffeine addiction, AND possibly nutrasweet addiction if certain people are to be believed). I didn't have the problem when drinking tea instead of soda, because the caffeine content's comparable to soda.

It might help to shift your thinking,too. Don't think "I can't have soda," but instead focus on "I need to drink more water."

Good luck!

Last edited by amtooround; 07-17-2008 at 10:11 PM.
amtooround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

I went cold turkey four months ago after thinking--for years--there was no way I could do it. I haven't had a single diet soda since then. I drank a cup of black tea (hot or iced, usually hot) when I felt I "needed" some caffeine, but I limited myself to two cups a day. Now I am only having 3 or so cups of black tea per week (I drink a lot more herbal tea).

Sometimes (about once a month) when my husband and I are having a "fun" dinner, I'll get a special soft drink from Fresh Market--something made with juice or a "real" root beer (something with real sugar). I count the calories into my dinner just like I would any treat. Gone forever are my days of just drinking anything--except for water--mindlessly or in a rush. I like it a lot more. I feel much more hydrated, my skin looks better, and I was able to (finally!) get to 120 pounds.

For me, cold turkey was the way to do it. Good luck!
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #7  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

diet coke has made me really sick the last week because I started drinking it at supper.... I quit it cold turkey on Monday and I've been fine ever since

I think I'll be drinking a lot more crystal light... tried some vitamin water today. nasty stuff.

Last edited by valpal23; 07-17-2008 at 10:48 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

Try watering the pepsi down a little at a time, always drink it in a glass with ice this way you aren't getting so much pepsi and then if you want more make yourself fill the glass with ice water before you have a second helping of pepsi, this will help you cut down on the taste you are craving
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I was a total diet coke addict. drank it from sun up to sun down. when I make the commitment to change my lifestyle it was really hard at first, bc my body craved it. but i changed to coffee ( a habit I am also trying to break ) and water. I think it's help loads in my weight loss. I will have a diet coke maybe a couple times a month still, but nothing like i use to.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I quit diet soda a week ago because I read that it messes with metabolism. I know people that have sworn that it made it harder for them to lose and I know people that lost a ton of weight drinking it the entire time. I lost a lot of weight drinking it, but I'm stuck and trying anything to get my weight to move again. I'll probably add it back in eventually, but for now I need to focus on water. I don't miss it at home, but it's hard when eating out.
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #11  
Addicted to potato salad!

I'd go with cold turkey. Water, water, water. It's SOOOO much better for you.

Did you ever notice that when you are drinking diet pepsi that it never really quenches your thirst, but makes you even more thirsty? Water doesn't do this, you drink it and your thirst is quenched. Period.

Cold turkey...it's like smoking...it's the only way to go.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #12  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Unless you are going to replace it with another source of caffeine, try to cut way back before you eliminate it. You may reduce the headache you'll get when you go cold turkey off caffeine.

Last edited by WebRover; 07-18-2008 at 08:20 PM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #13  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I'd recommend replacing it with water and unsweetened iced tea (for a little caffeine kick.) I think that cold turkey is probably the best route, just be prepared for the withdrawal headaches. Those usually only last about a week though and after that it's pretty smooth sailing.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Yah I was addicted to diet soda in general. I could easily drink a 6 to 12 pack a Day!.. I have quit a couple months ago because I was retaining water because of it and not drinknig the water I NEEDED.
I Do drink alot of iced tea for the caffeine and they have a crystal lite with caffeine in it I drink here and there.
Its hard but whenever I get a craving I will buy sparkling water instead I think I just love the carbonation.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I just want to point something out - you said you want to start your diet again and "do it right". "Right" is subjective and not the same for everyone. You don't HAVE to 100% eliminate diet soda in order for your diet to be "right".

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't .. and there are a lot of people who feel that diet soda has no place in any type of eating plan. But there are others who don't feel that strongly and who still drink diet soda on a limited basis.

I cut back from several Diet Cokes a day to 1 in the afternoon, and sometimes not even then. I probably drink 3 or 4 a week at this point (as opposed to going through a 12-pack a week the way I used to).

I don't see myself ever giving up Diet Coke entirely - there are days I want the caffeine boost in the afternoon and don't want a hot beverage or iced tea. There are meals with which I just want the fizziness and taste of Diet Coke (with pizza, for example).

Just something to consider. "Right" isn't the same for everyone.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote