Sending cards to a little boy with cancer..

• I saw this article this morning and my sil, mil & niece live in this small town, but this group is so encouraging I thought he'd get alot of responses from here...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25630001/
  • One hates to be a wet blanket but this sounds suspiciously like the Craig Shergold story all over again (http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/medical/shergold.asp). You sure this is on the up-and-up?
  • my family members know the family & here is the local area news link

http://your4state.com/content/fulltext/?cid=21191

note to self: remind me to stick to posting on my supportive back in kindergarten thread and stay away from cheneral chatter except when responding to a EZ post,,,,,,
  • Aww... I copied the address and will send Caleb a card.
  • In addition to being suspicious about the story. They are asking for cards, not $$$. If it was some hoax, I'd hope they would at least be smart enough to say "we can't finance his treatment."

Everyone should send this little guy cards
  • Everyone should send this little guy cards

Still, I do suggest that everyone read the link that ANOther has sent.

If you're going to pass this on this request in emails or letters to friends, please prominently post the date of the request, and suggest a time limit of (maybe a year) when sending it on to others.

Otherwise, the boy could be inundated with cards for decades. It's fun now, but he probably won't feel the same when he is 25.
  • I thought about the Shergold case, too.
    He got several million cards and they keep coming, even though he is well and grown up now. This kind of thing takes on a life of it's own and never stops.
  • Quote:
    note to self: remind me to stick to posting on my supportive back in kindergarten thread and stay away from cheneral chatter
    How about instead of getting annoyed about someone trying to help, please keep in mind that this kind of thing actually does happen as a hoax more often than not. Read the snopes link posted above and you'll understand why people who are savvy to Internet hoaxes are naturally suspicious of anything like this that gets posted.

When stuff like this gets posted to the Internet, you cannot control how it snowballs and it has caused problems for people who have been on the receiving end, as you'll read from the article posted.

• JULES

Isn't it just a damn shame that there are Internet hoaxes out there?

I will get a card off in the morning to the boy...I think he will like it...it's one our Vicar at church made of him doing martial arts stuff!
  • Wonder if they have heard of MACS...make a child smile. The parents can sign him up with them and get cards thru them as well as other help if needed. I've been sending cards to children thru this organization for years! And you know what? She picked the right name...because for the cost of a stamp and a card you can make a sick childs day. Hugs Jules! We love ya!