General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-31-2008, 11:55 AM   #1  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Default How do you trick your kids?

I just finished having a contest with my 7yr old DS. He wouldn't get dressed. So I dropped the subject for 20 min then...Jumped out of my desk chair leaping away from intresting reads on 3FC and stated that I could get changed faster than he could. He won. And he said thats cause he is going camando and doesn't have to wear a bra! Out of the mouths of babes. Anyways I won since he is dressed and now we can go do grocery shopping!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Lol. Nice. What a great way of getting him dressed with out a tantrum!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #3  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

hahaha kids are fun.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Lol Julia!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #5  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Mine is too little to trick, but I imagine I'll have to improvise pretty quickly when he's older. He's already rambunctious and he can't even crawl yet. He's like his super-hyper father. I'm in for quite a time when this child starts to walk... he'll get into EVERYTHING.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Potty training has been a breeze now that every time he goes to sit on the potty, he is trying to "win" an M&M.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I don't have kids, but we love to spend time with out nephews when we can (my family lives in central IL, so it's about a 5 hour drive, so we only see them about 3 or 4 times a year).

Hubby and I are both more kid than grownup, and it definitely is an advantage in getting the kids to do what we want them to without a fuss.

One of my personal specialties is getting kids to taste what they don't like or are afraid to taste. I once got a 4 year old (a very, very picky eater who refused to eat almost anything) to taste chicken liver by appealing to the disgusting factor that appeals to little boys. I told him to guess what I was eating, and I whispered "guts," and asked him if he wanted to try them. He did, and didn't like it (which I suspeceted), but he LOVED the adventure part of it - and that's really the point I was trying to pass on. We may not like everything, but it's fun to try it.

I also tell little kids in a "did you know (isn't this interesting) that some things you don't like when you try them, you might like on the second, third or 10th time? And that some things you didn't like when you were little, you might like when you're bigger.

My husband's not bad at it either. Once visiting the family in IL< at the dinner table at my mom (grandma)'s house, my sister put one tiny bit of broccoli on the 3 year old's plate (she puts a little bit of everything on the kids' plates, but the don't have to eat all of their vegetables, so long as they eat all of one - my mom always serves at least 3 vegetables, usually what ever's left over from the night before and one or two new). My husband (he adores broccoli) told Jayden (you need more little "trees"!) and Mary told him that "Jayden doesn't like broccoli."

"You don't like little trees?" He asked Jayden, pretending to be shocked. "Those are my favorites! Are you sure you don't like them?" He put a little dab of ranch dressing on Jayden's plate and asked him to try the "little tree" dipped in the dressing. And he showed him how (barely touching the broccoli to the dressing). Not only did Jayden eat the tiny piece of broccoli, he wanted more and he ate it not only with the dressing, he started eating them without (because he was copying the way my husband was eating his, without the dressing). So now he likes broccoli, because, just like his Uncle David, he likes "little trees."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:15 PM   #8  
Operator265

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
Potty training has been a breeze now that every time he goes to sit on the potty, he is trying to "win" an M&M.
I used SweeTarts.