General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Default Mattresses?

Alright I had a post then lost it somehow...We are considering buying a new mattress but we are experiencing a little sticker shock to the prices to say the least since we don't have that much money and this would have to go on a credit card. I have had lower back pain since I got married 4 years ago and since we bought the bed we are sleeping on currently. Our bed was a decent price I thought less than $800 for a queen set that just HAD to be bought at the local Sears where my husband worked to show his loyalty to his managers there and to get the slight employee discount. The mattress section of the store only had 5 mattresses total to try out and lay down on so there just wasn't much choices to lay on. My back pain has gotten worse and worse mainly in my lower back and now our bed is actually slightly sagging after not even 4 years. I am so tired and more prone to being emotional and CRANKY especially this week since I have not gotten one good night's sleep. I slept on my couch one night last week for pete's sake. I have tried everything to alleviate my back pain, got a new expensive pillow made especially for side sleepers which is what I am, threw out all my shoes and bought totally new ones-my feet feel so much better now too but not my lower back. I even went and got x-rays done and other tests done to make sure I had not somehow injured my back and the doctor says there is a possibility that I just need to lose weight which I need to anyways for health/diabetes risks. Then 6 weeks ago I went and stayed with my mom and ended up sleeping on a tempurpedic bed and oh MY GAWD.. when I woke up the next morning I felt so refreshed and only got up once to go pee in the night since I had drank several BIG glasses of water right before bed.. So does that saying " you get what you pay for" really apply to this type of thing? Most people spend at least a 1k on refrigerators and washer and dryers and should I look at this like an appliance that will last at least 10 years? Hubby is kind of reluctant to spend money when it comes to this kind of thing-always looking for a cheap deal which I don't think those exist if you want quality. So how bout some opinions on that and can anyone recommend any brands? And can anyone recommend any reputable FREE websites where I can check out like consumer reports and ratings?

thanks for any help,
Sleepless in Texas
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #2  

Default mattresses

I bought my memory foam mattress from a very popular website that sells overstock items from various companies. I paid less than you did for your last mattreess set, and used the old box spring for height. (But you dont need it for support with the memory foam.) Hope this helps.
cnderle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #3  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Do you flip and rotate you mattress? We flip ours every 6 months and rotate it once a year.

That really helps.

Sorry to hear about your back
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

We were looking for a mattress a couple of months ago (decided not to spend the money after all), and were surprised to see that it's hard to purchase ones that you flip/rotate now. Almost all of the ones we saw were pillowtops and had specific zones for head/feet.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 PM   #5  

Tamaralynn-Yes we have followed that faithfully since at first that did seem to help. But now it doesn't.

Last edited by blondebritbrat17; 07-14-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #6  

Jtammy-yes, the one I ended up liking at Sleep Experts is a pillow top and I will not have to rotate it they told me and did have specific head and feet zones as well. I was a little surprised too but hey less work for me and my back!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:15 AM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I read Consumer Reports' report on mattresses last year and they did not really recommend one in particular. But, they did suggest when you go to try one out to lie on it for 15 minutes in the position that you normally sleep in to get a feel for it. Our mattress is about 20 years old and the price is what keeps us from getting a new one--and worrying that I'll get a bad one
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:09 AM   #8  

Thanks ddc! That's what we plan on doing tomorrow night is laying on them for like 15 minutes each. We are planning on going back since we have both come to an agreement especially once hubby got home after visiting the mattress store and took a good look at our current mattress and saw that our bed really WAS starting to sag and is all worn in the middle and that we need to get a new one before it becomes worse especially if I'm already suffering more so than usual.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:48 AM   #9  

We're in the market for a new mattress/bedroom set. I love high beds so we have stacked mattresses. We also have foam padding. This is helpful for now but we know this is only a temporary fix.

We haven't decided what we're going to get just yet. One thing we have decided on is that we want to go from a Queen to a California King.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:16 AM   #10  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

We spent a lot of money on our mattress set and it was worth it! I have major back problems too. I'm not going to say that it made all my troubles go away, it didn't - but it helped considerably.

I find that amazon usually has the best reviews of products & they do sometimes have items you wouldn't expect them to. Also usually just a google search of whatever item you want and the word review will yield some good results.

We wound up with a pillow top (on both sides) King sized Sterns and Foster bed - the only complaint I've ever had about it is it's difficult to find deep pocket sheets in a price range I am comfortable with.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

My suggestion would be to do a review search....but i would also recommend looking on craig's list. When we moved to Atlanta...we found out that the king size matress couldn't fit up the stairs, so we had to sell it. It was practically brand new and in great shape. We sold it for dirt cheep, compared to how much we initially spent on it.

Also...as for you're back...i had back problems and went to a chiropracter. I swear by my chiropracter. It has made a huge difference in my life.

Last edited by GatorgalstuckinGA; 07-15-2008 at 07:50 AM.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

I bought a cheapo serta mattress last year at Big Lots. Its horrible, but it was in my price range. I am looking to get a new mattress too.

Sam's Club/Warehouse actually has the temperpedic mattress tops there. Like the kind that you just put on top of your old mattress. Perhaps check that out? I am not sure how much they cost though, I just remember seeing them there.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Costco has a tempurpedic type bed for under $600.

We paid a lot for our mattress but honestly a good mattress should last nearly 10 years if not more.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #14  
prepare for the BEST time

I bought the Tempur-pedic Celebrity bed (13" mattress plus 3" extra pillowtop) about 2 years ago....I never regretted spending the $$$, because it helps considerable with back pain, pressure points. (although I got it at dealer cost from a friend that sold them).....it was amazing the difference i felt in the morning, no backache.

That mattress and base are both in the foam and they are more than heavy....i don't think one person could move it.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #15  
No description available.

I have a Stearns & Foster that cost us a small fortune, but we have had it for 9 years and I still love it. I tease that I am going to be buried with my bed. We bought it when I was pregnant with #3 and working nights and I needed a comfortable bed. Did I mention I love my bed? Worth every penny.

In my call room at the hospital we have a tempurpedic bed and I hate it. I guess I am very picky.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote