General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #1  
paulaS

S/C/G: 285/tickler/150

Height: 5 8

Default Real People

Why is it, that every weight loss commercial, every gym advertisement, every plus size catalogs, have normal size 2-4 people on them, why don't they use the average size person, I would luv to see a size 24 person on these advertisement. What is your vibe?
Paulas
pkend4593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Well ... seeing a size 24 person in a weight loss ad seems counter productive. The point is to show that you can lose weight. It'd be like showing a person with stained, crooked teeth in a dentist's ad. Doesn't lend confidence.

Now clothing catalogs, I'm with you on. I think they should show larger women in the ads, especially if they sell larger sized clothing. Nothing like seeing an ad for "women's" sizes with a size 6 model. *grrr*

Last edited by PhotoChick; 07-02-2008 at 11:32 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #3  
~One Day At A Time~

S/C/G: 301.2/Ticker/250

Height: 5 6"

I hate that! It will never change
ThisTimeIsDifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #4  
Flabulous

S/C/G: 230/218/160

Height: 5'9"

I always think that it's hilarious when they have skinny models wearing plus-sized clothes. It just looks ridiculous. I want to know how something fits on people that look like me. All of the clothes look like muu-muus on people who are a size 2.

Lane Bryant and Torrid usually feature people who can actually wear the clothes, which is nice.
LetsWorkItOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkend4593 View Post
Why is it, that every weight loss commercial, every gym advertisement, every plus size catalogs, have normal size 2-4 people on them, why don't they use the average size person, I would luv to see a size 24 person on these advertisement. What is your vibe?
Paulas
Jenny Craig has Queen Latifah in their ads, supporting becoming a "Size Healthier" and so on. I don't think she's a size 24 at this time, but she certainly isn't a 2 or a 4 either.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love the Queen Latifah ads, because I think it speaks to all of the people who want to lose some weight, want to get healthier, but don't have aspirations of a size 2.

I think a variety of sizes would be a better marketing strategy (reaching people of all goals). For gym memberships especially, because they show only hardbodies working out, it can give the impression that only hardbodies are welcome. And I think that sometimes is true. I know I lived in a community where each of the gyms had a different clientelle. The YMCA had patrons of all ages and sizes. A private health club had mostly middle-aged adults also of varying sizes (the gym my hubby and I joined, as my employer gave a discounted membership). And the "Gold's Gym" had only age 20 - 40
super hardbodies. My employer also gave discounts and a free months's membership to Gold's, but it was too uncomfortable for me when I saw that not only were there no flabby patrons, the way the gym was set up so that everyone saw everyone else (mirrors all around, and the pool in the center, with glass walls), I just didn't feel comfortable there.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 360/309/185

Height: 6'1

Kaplods- I LOVED gold's gym LOL The gym out close to my house was everyone from skinny teens to chunky seniors- I was so jealous of the rather large dude next to me, and I was at least 360 then and the dude next to me was kicking my arse on the eliptical lol

Queen has had a personal trainer for years and never wanted to lose her plus size- she's always said that she wants it strictly for health reasons, and it's true you can be a healthy plus size, especially when plus size starts at 12/14 LOL

I think the gym advertisements try and strike a balance, they normally put people up who yes are uber thin naturally and nicely muscled but they tend to have healthy looking people in the ads... instead of muscle bound freaks- yes they freak me out lol and people who hadn't quite started.... I wish for once tho- they would take a girl my size and do a before and after and actually invest in them instead of "I lost 40lbs! I'm hot now!" lol
bettyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #8  
Releasing the inner hiker

Bettyred, I LOVE that idea. Sort of like a Jared from Subway, but using a gym. Someone should approach their gym with the idea...I think it is a great idea.

I'll never join a gym, though. I prefer my solitude and the outdoors.

And I agree with the skinny models wearing plus size clothes. Sometimes I use the "if it looks good on them, it probably won't on me" (and vice versa) method of determining if I should buy a piece of clothing.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #9  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I totally agree on the plus size clothing ads with the smaller ladies. Just drives me bonkers.

Which is why I love Penningtons 14+ they use REAL models

Queen Latifah? I LOVE her She is my role model!
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
Jenny Craig has Queen Latifah in their ads, supporting becoming a "Size Healthier" and so on. I don't think she's a size 24 at this time, but she certainly isn't a 2 or a 4 either.
Fact: Queen Latifah has always been one of my favorite people ever. When she signed up for the Jenny Craig thing, I was a little worried that she was going to go down that "Hollywood" route until I actually saw one of the commercials and she talked about the "Size Healthier" and not the "Size -7" :P
cephalopod gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, I have to say I have a huge girl crush on her. She always projects beauty and confidence. The perfect blend of arrogance and humility. And when I saw her in Chicago, and Hairspray I wanted every costume she wore in those movies (even though I'm twice her size and pale as a ghost, so the colors and fit would probably look ridiculous on me).

I also love how she doesn't bash her "former" self, in the Jenny Craid ads (like we've seen other celebs do). For some reason, it seems even sadder to see a celeb go through the "I'm beautiful now, but wasn't I such a disgusting hog before?"

Well, it's refreshing to see.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #12  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Count me in on the "I love Queen Latifah" too. She's always been confident in her size to me, even when she was heavier.

Now, Monique I can't stand and find very annoying - but that's a topic for another day.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

I love Queen Latifah. I remember one of her first appearances in 'The Fresh Prince of Bel Air' where she played one of Will Smith's girlfriends. In Chicago and Hairspray she was awesome and I loved one of her dresses in 'The Last Holiday!" So good!!!
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote