weight gain after surger?

• Ok, I know that I should NOT be thinking and obsessing about this right now considering I just got released from the hospital today from a not so typical gallbladder removal. It ended up being complicated so that means a longer recovery time fo rme. So what I am worried about is gaining weight after I am all better. I was doing some online searching and found that many many people gain afterwords. I have worked so hard to lose 30 pounds, so I am just nervous. I plan on going back to my normal diet and exersive, once I am able to, but anyone out there who had their removed? What happened with your weight afterwords??
  • I have not had mine out, but have a sister, a brother and a mother that have. None have gained weight afterwards. I have never heard that from friends who had theirs out either. Just concentrate on eating healthy and recovering. Eat plenty of protein to help your body heal.
  • Lots of people who have had theirs out experienced terrible 'discomfort' whenever they ate anything with fat in it, so when they had their gallbladder out, they could eat fat again, and did so with a vengeance. That's why they gained weight. If you know that beforehand, you will be prepared, and it won't happen! 8)
  • I actually lost weight after my surgery. Like Kofarq said, many people experience discomfort with high fat foods. So I adopted a low fat diet and lost weight.

Note: I did gain my weight back plus more because at the time I didn't care about losing weight, I was only doing it because of the pain. When the pain subsided, I went back to my horrible, fatty diet that got me there in the first place. Now that I'm older (I had my surgery four years ago) I find that the pains are back but rather dull.
  • I removed it as well. I did not gain weight but I had my gastric lab-band at the time.
  • My sister had hers out and she didn't gain any weight either.