Banjos

• So my 13 year old wants a banjo. He started playing at church camp and he is mowing lawns and such to earn money. I have no idea what is important when choosing a banjo. Any pointers? I see that some are super expensive and I know that you probably get what you pay for, but I was wondering if there was a certain brand or type that is better quality.

I figure someone on here knows a thing or two about banjos!

Thanks in advance.
  • My Dad happens to be a banjo player.

I'll e-mail him and ask him your question.
  • Thanks, Katie!! I appreciate it!
  • Hmmm, for a beginner and younger player, buying an expensive instrument right out of the gate is never a good idea. With that said, you want to make sure that it is in good enough shape so that it doesn't inhibit learning.

With banjos, I know that you can get a decent learning banjo for a fairly cheap price, but stay away from the used ones. Also, make sure that one of the things he learns first is tuning and care. That more than anything could make it fun for him or a total pain.

I know that's not much help, but that's just my general experience in teaching music to children
  • Thanks Jen.

Definitely good advice, as always.

I've been down the instrument route a few times and what is interesting to me about this time is the fact that he is earning the money to buy it. We looked online last night at a few and he was planning out how to save up his money for a certain one or another.

That's good advice about avoiding used ones. I did look on Craig'slist last night, but will avoid that route thanks to your tip.

KrazyKatie's dad was kind enough to offer me some guidance and tips as well.