General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #121  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I will try just about anything. I've watched Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and Anthony Bourdaine's "No Reservations," and would try most of the things they eat on the shows. I'm not so sure about the stinky tofu, the raw 14 day old pork, or durian.

I know Anthony loves durian, but compares it to eating custard (I think) in an outhouse - that pretty much turned me off of trying it then, but what clinched it was seeing Andrew Zimmern unable to gag it down (on two different shows) while he was able to take two bites of the gray-black fermented tofu.

In college, we read a study that rats that had been fed by their moms a very limited diet when babies, would not try anything unfamiliar when presented with choices as adolescents or adults. The would go several days without eating if nothing familiar was presented, and some would lose significant weight before trying a new food. Rats that had been fed a large variety of foods by their moms when they were babies, as adolescents and adults would eat not only the foods that were familiar, they would readily try unfamiliar foods.

In rats and humans a single bad experience with a food (getting physically ill shortly after eating) will create a life-long aversion that is difficult to unlearn. This effect is so strong that if you get food poisoning (even if it was a familiar food that was tainted) after trying a new food, it will be the new food, not the familiar one that will likely cause future aversion (even if you "know" differently).

Now people are not rats, and can, at least sometimes, overcome food aversions, but I think the physiological factor can't be dismissed. Picky eaters can sometimes become less picky, and indiscriminate eaters can also become less so, but very few leopards change their spots in this matter.

There might be genetic factors also, as I always have been an adventurous eater, while my family has not (I was adopted as an infant). Only my middle sister is at all adventurous, and before I went to college when she was 4, I would take her on "sistering" dates and take her out to eat (NEVER McDonald's). At 3, her favorite restaurant was a chinese restaurant. My youngest sister was too little to take "sistering" and she's pretty picky now as an adult.

My husband and I did something similar with one of our nephews (youngest sister's kids). We'd moved away before his brother was born, and there are distinct differences in their eating habits.

Food preferences are complicated. I just read a study recently that the more variety in a person's diet or even in their meal, the more difficult it seems to be for them to lose weight. I had never thought of adventurousness in eating as a possible handicap, but I can see that it could be. I don't know that I could restrict my choices too much and still be happy. Eating the same 20 or even 50 meals for decades sounds like torture to me.

I have to admit that when I LOVE something it can be hard to understand why someone else doesn't. I LOVE sushi, and not just the raw kind. I had a handroll recently with hot grilled eel in the center. It was marvelous. The eel had the texture and taste of a very nice flaky piece of broiled fish (which is what eel is). It had a slightly sweet soy sauce glaze and the rice was warmed by the fish and almost creamy. I knew these were flavors my husband would love, because he's the one that got me hooked on cooked fish, and he loves sweet soy. It did irritate me a little that I couldn't get my husband to try it, because he "hates" sushi.

Then again, I have an irrational fear of beer. Yep, it's actually a true phobia. I had an uncle who was an alcoholic. His favorite thing to do when he'd had too many was to torture me by spilling beer on me on purpose. Especially if I were dressed up nicely - because I would cry and change clothes (yeah, REALLY funny!) I can't stand the smell of beer. I can't even bring a glass of beer to my mouth or nose. The closest I can get to drinking a beer is a "malt beverage coolers." I actually start to panic when I see a glass of beer tip over, or even someone waving their hands around while they talk while a beer is in front of them - yep beer phobic.

I've done it again, haven't I? Started with one topic and meandered all over the place. Sorry! I'll just shut up now.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #122  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

haha, glad to see I have a reputation around here

Oh, and one other thing I've discovered that helps me squeeze in some veggies--broccoli slaw. It's good for instances where I want more veggies, but I can't stomach actual big chunks of broccoli. Like in a salad since I don't like raw broccoli florets (well, unless there is more dip on it than actual broccoli!).

Someone else mentioned pureeing veggies. I've found that pureeing frozen chopped spinach and adding to pasta sauce, while making the color somewhat unappealing, doesn't really change the flavor while adding some bulk.

Cubed eggplant with tomato sauce? Maybe I will try that. I wonder if it would grill well on the Foreman (we don't have a real grill).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #123  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
I could drench an old gym sock in batter, fry it, and dip in cheese and mozzarella and I would probably like it!
AMEN!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I eat a ton of veggies...but Mandalinn's thing about the sushi made me laugh out loud.

I have some food aversions...but they are all things that I have tried. I have an EXTREME aversion to milk. I prefer soymilk, and if I HAVE to have real milk, then it absolutely HAS to be skim. It cannot be 1%, 2%, or (gross) whole milk. I am not a vegetarian...but it simply grosses me out. I can eat yogurt, but it has to be fat free yogurt. I cannot stand the creaminess factor of the milk...

I also have an aversion to pickles and mustard. I have tried them as a child, and later as an adult. I have the gag reflex thing like Mandalinn has with the sushi. They have very strong scents...and I scent of them alone spurs my gag reflex. Since they taste very much like they smell, I can't get past it. I will never like them. I don't like the smell of vinegar...so I don't like coloring eggs in the spring, or using vinegar for cleaning, home remedies, etc.

Something about the smell of those things just does it to me...
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #125  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I didnt know anybody else felt the same way about seaweed as I do! Seriously... everybody I ever 'confess' to that I hate the way seaweed tastes just cant believe it.

I dont have a gag reflex with it.. thankfully but I dont seek sushi rolls out.. unless I'm really desperate (on the other hand.... they're a GREAT appetite killer)

Last edited by valpal23; 06-23-2008 at 02:09 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #126  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I actually like seaweed, in small quantities. Sea vegetables are actually an awesome source of many vitamins and minerals. I never liked sushi with raw fish because the texture of raw meat grosses me out. I do eat veggie sushi rolls and I even bought a bunch of nori the other day with the idea of making sushi at home.

I have a gag reflex, as I mentioned before, to the smell of some cooked spinach. I also have a gag reflex for the texture of spaghetti noodles. Very strange but true.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #127  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I actually forgot about the nori when offering my hubby a bite of my eel roll. He hates the nori.

When we visited my parents a few months ago, I bought some nori "snacks." Just strips of flavored nori (teriyaki and hot and spicy). 1 calorie per strip.

I was eating them in front of the tv and my mom asked to try one. She not only spit it out, she WIPED HER TONGUE.

I felt bad, but couldn't stop laughing.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #128  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Holy cow, this thread certainly took on a life of its own for awhile there, didn't it? I thought McCain/Obama would be the big discussion of '08. Veggies: the debatable food. Who knew? lol

I saw that Bizarre foods shows where he ate (or rather nearly barfed) the durian. No way would I try it. I'd try lots of 'different' foods but some, just no way, no how. Some stuff -- just based on its smell or look or what it is -- I just wouldn't try. Wouldn't matter how good someone said it was, I'd respond 'ewwww' no doubt. Maybe its just how, where and what people are raised on that makes them more likely to try different foods than other folks. Individuality is great, isnt' it?

Hey jillybean -- I don't know what (few) veggies you do like but this might be something you'd try. My mom used to make this when we were kids. Keep in mind, my kids won't touch it because it has cabbage in it.

This is all according to how much you want, all veggies are raw. Eyeball it and season according to taste.

Shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, finely diced celery. Mix together and mix in light mayo till you have the consistency you like. Season w/fresh ground pepper, salt and onion powder to taste. I guess it's a homemade cole slaw? Anyway I loved this as a kid so maybe this would be a thing you'd like too?

After reading through all these posts the only thing I'd like to add is -- I think the difference of opinions is fantastic. Seriously, how boring would it be if we all agreed on everything? Disagreeing is fine; name calling and insulting people because they have a different opinion isn't. Sometimes it isn't what you say, but rather how you say it that offends people. If you don't care if you offend people, fine. But don't whine about it when the shoe is on the other foot.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #129  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
I could drench an old gym sock in batter, fry it, and dip in cheese and mozzarella and I would probably like it!

Good point!!! GOOD point.

As far as pureeing veggies, ya see, that wouldn't *accomplish* anything much for me. Well surely it would add nutrients to my foods and probably some bulk and therefore fullness, but other then that, not so much.

One of the main reasons I love and eat veggies so much is that I get to eat a TON of it (I LIKE volume) for minimal calories (while getting sooo much nutrition), thus allowing me to first lose the weight that I needed to and now to maintain it.

I tell you, I really feel for you non-loving veggie folks. You don't have it easy. I honestly don't know if I could have lost the weight and then maintained it, without them.

Nelie, I've got to look for those eggplants that you are talking about.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #130  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Good point!!! GOOD point.

I tell you, I really feel for you non-loving veggie folks. You don't have it easy. I honestly don't know if I could have lost the weight and then maintained it, without them.
Me too! I am not a picky eater, which has certainly worked in my favor when it came to losing weight and maintaining. There are very, very few foods that I really dislike (trying to think of something right now and honestly I can't - but I know there are some out there.)

I do think that there is a lot to be said for being willing to try new foods when you are trying to lose weight and be healthier. Most of us have had people ask how we lose weight and when we tell them how simple the formula is, their face shuts down and they don't want to hear it. For some people who say they don't like vegetables, I think this is another way of telling themselves, "Oh, that will never work for me". Many days I would still like to eat ice cream, pizza and chicken nuggets like before my weight loss, but my reality was that I had to start liking vegetables more than I did to lose the weight. (I'm not picky, so it wasn't so difficult for me to do.)
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #131  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy View Post
Me too! I am not a picky eater, which has certainly worked in my favor when it came to losing weight and maintaining. There are very, very few foods that I really dislike (trying to think of something right now and honestly I can't - but I know there are some out there.)

I do think that there is a lot to be said for being willing to try new foods when you are trying to lose weight and be healthier. Most of us have had people ask how we lose weight and when we tell them how simple the formula is, their face shuts down and they don't want to hear it. For some people who say they don't like vegetables, I think this is another way of telling themselves, "Oh, that will never work for me". Many days I would still like to eat ice cream, pizza and chicken nuggets like before my weight loss, but my reality was that I had to start liking vegetables more than I did to lose the weight. (I'm not picky, so it wasn't so difficult for me to do.)

Yes, I was lucky here too. I already had a favorable view of many veggies and I was more then willing to try new ones and different methods of cooking them. And like I said waaay back at the beginning of this thread, I knew that I would have to turn to veggiesas a *solution* to my weight/food issues. I just knew it.

Like you Tammy, although I really do love my veggies, I would surely rather be eating ice cream, pizza, fried chicken and the such, many days - but it's not an option. I can't eat those items - AND be that trim, fit and healthy.

As far as being picky, I wouldn't say that I'm terribly picky. But I will not under any circumstances eat foods that I don't like. One healthy food that I refuse, absolutely refuse to eat is - cottage cheese.

I'll rap this post up by saying that I am terribly grateful, beyond belief grateful, that I was able to learn to love veggies like I do.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Man, I missed all the good stuff

To recap:

1. I love pickles. To the pickle haters - do you hate both sour and sweet pickles? They taste so different, even the texture is slightly different.
2. Canned peas are revolting - mushy light green disgustingness. Canned beans, tomatoes, and corn are okay.
3. Love sushi.
4. I never understood the gagging thing until I actually heaved and threw up the sardines I tried to eat one day. Instant empathy. I get it.
5. Fennel is digusting.
6. Eggplant is good, a little bitter. You can leach the bitter out by slicing it and then sprinkling each side of each piece with salt and letting it sit for 10 minutes. Rinse. Another great way to work with eggplant (besides grilling) is to roast it and then scrape the insides and make baigan bharta (my favorite Indian dish) - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ILANTRO-105514
7. Green peppers are revolting because I feel like I am breathing OUT green pepper, like I taste it in my nose, which makes NO SENSE but bugs the **** out of me. Cooked is slightly better than raw, but NOT MUCH. Orange, red and yellow are fine.
8. I've written before about how grateful I am that I LIKE healthy foods, particularly vegetables. It helped me so much changing my life and becoming healthy.

Last edited by Glory87; 06-23-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #133  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Robin - I'm with you on the cottage cheese. I just don't understand it. My brain can't comprehend it. And paired with something sweet, like pineapple? I don't get it!

But that's OK - as long as people like enough healthy foods that they can get by, stay satisfied, and manage their calories/food plan, I don't know that it makes a difference for weight loss. Vegetables helped ME to do all of those things, but if I hated them (for physical or purely psychological reasons), they might have actually made it HARDER on me for weight loss.

I mean, think about it. If you thought that you HAD to eat cottage cheese to lose weight, just HAD to, and you forced yourself to eat it, how long would you have lasted on your plan? I know if I had to eat cottage cheese, I'd be diving back into burgers in no time.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Glory-I don't like any kind of pickles...and it mainly all comes down to the smell, and secondly the texture. I will eat cucumbers-especially raw, just not pickles. It was even worse when I was pregnant...if I smelled them, watch out.

Mandalinn and rockinrobin-I forgot to add the cottage cheese thing to my milk aversion list. It is also there. I can eat a TAD of it in lasagna or another dish...but to sit there and eat it, or mix it with protein powder or pineapple...no way.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #135  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post

I mean, think about it. If you thought that you HAD to eat cottage cheese to lose weight, just HAD to, and you forced yourself to eat it, how long would you have lasted on your plan? I know if I had to eat cottage cheese, I'd be diving back into burgers in no time.
100%!!! That's EXACTLY it. We could never have lost the weight (and continued to maintain) had we not found a plan, something that we could stick with. Which is why I feel I was blessed in my loving veggies. If cottage cheese was my *only* healthy option, and dear G-d, thank you, thank you, thank you, that it's not - I would no doubt still be 287 lbs, most likely more.

This reminds me of the slew of people who have said to me that I must have eaten loads of grapefruit to lose my weight. Nu-uh. Can't stand them. Haven't had a one.