General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #91  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Just don't get sneaky and try to feed me some canned peas!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:33 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Lord, this was some thread to read at 12:36.

Glad everyone hugged and made up.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 AM   #93  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:06 AM   #94  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Sorry, I've only just found this thread, but I was wondering (seriously) whether any of you had tried eating Durian. It just got me thinking, seeing as people were talking food and vomit. I've heard that Durian (can't tell from Googling whether it is from Thailand or Polynesia, but our Indonesian Language teacher brought some in a while back) smells like vomit, and I just couldn't even bring myself to SMELL it, let alone EAT it. Does anyone know whether it really does smell like vomit, and if so, what does it TASTE like?

Other than that, I have to say that I have learnt to love a LOT of veggies that I never liked before. My tastes have definitely changed since I 'simplified' them. I'm just not sure that Durian is on my list of things I want to try.
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:14 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

lmao....

Excerpts from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The edible flesh {of Durian} emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Regarded by some as fragrant, others as overpowering and offensive, the smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia.
Quote:
Nattō (納豆, Nattō?) is a traditional Japanese food made from fermented soybeans, popular especially for breakfast. As a rich source of protein, nattō and the soybean paste miso formed a vital source of nutrition in feudal Japan. For some, nattō can be an acquired taste due to its powerful smell, strong flavor, and sticky consistency.
Would you like some Durian with your Nattō? ROFL.

Last edited by snapless; 06-23-2008 at 05:15 AM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
Just don't get sneaky and try to feed me some canned peas!

I gotta agree with you on this one...I grew up on canned peas and hated them...as an adult, I realized that I LOVED fresh and frozen (steamed) ones.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #97  

Its beyond even my comprehension that people do not like vegatables! That pretty much disregards 50% of all food - you people are suffering - think of ways of incorporating veggies into meals you do like . . .

Last edited by Pieinthesky; 08-21-2008 at 05:54 AM.
Pieinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Zelma -- I had a durian bubble tea once on a vacation -- didn't notice any particular smell even though I knew durian was famous for it. The flavor was good, but not exceptional. In terms of fruit finds -- I *loved* the soursop juice I tried on another trip.

To bring it back to veggies a bit -- does anyone out there like bitter melon? It's cooked as a vegetable and lives up to its name. I've been served it and I will eat it, but not with any relish, so to speak.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #99  
Midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieinthesky View Post
you people are suffering - think of ways of incorporating veggies into meals you do like . . .
I only suffer if you serve me canned peas!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #100  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you tried to feed me any canned vegetables, I'd throw them back at you. Really, canned veggies? Those are eww.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #101  
Midwesterner

I do love canned beans, & tomatoes,especially the spicy ones.
I recently started steaming veggies a lot. I ate half of a head of cauliflower last night. SOOO good.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #102  
Releasing the inner hiker

There is a scientific basis for why some people dislike vegetables.

Sensitive taste buds turn kids off veggies, says study
By Stephen Daniells

28-Jul-2006 - Kids who are overly sensitive to bitter tastes, caused by genetic variations, are more likely to eat less vegetables, says a study from the US.

http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/new...getables-taste

And I'm another who can't stand canned veggies, esp peas and green beans. The smell of those canned veggies, as well as liver and tripe, make me physically ill.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #103  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I can actually beat the ridiculousness of "I don't like vegetables; they're gross!"

My Mother: "I don't drink water; I don't like it."

WHAT THE H3LL DOES THAT MEAN??? She's not a living organism? She's not of this planet? She doesn't like or drink... WATER?
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #104  
Operator265

Damn!!! The things you miss out on when you work graves!!!

First for my self indulgent ego... My children have always been taste testers, b/c I've insisted. I think it all began when I made some dip. Velvetta, Campbell's Cheese Soup and Rotel. I handed it to my Ex(then fiancee) with a bag of chips and He said "OMG it looks like you puked in the bowl!!" I didn't appreciate the comment after going out of my way to make him something special so I said "Just try it, you big Dumba$$" HE LOVED IT!!! Ever since then my family gets all excited and asks me to Pleeaasse make "puke in a bowl." It's the Official name now.

My girls will always try something before they b***h. If they don't like it, I don't make them eat it. But, no one tries to disregard it before trying. Heck, they now eat stuff I don't like. And I take them to Japanese restaurants and let them get whatever they want, and even if it would roll my stomach (I'm not good with raw meat), I just sit there eating my own dinner, minding my own business. My youngest even asks for fruits and veggies when I ask what they want when I go to the store on grocery day.

I only refuse dangerous foods. NO ONE gets to eat blowfish near me!!! If someone could keel over and die b/c they restaurant owner was too cheap to hire a professional or the chef just had a fight with his wife before work and wasn't paying attention, NOBODY gets to eat it. I'm a 1st responder and my X is an EMT II, but it is a duty we try our best to avoid if possible.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I absolutely loathe the smell of bell peppers. I walk across the aisle at the market to avoid them. The smell actually gives me an intense headache.

Oddly enough, I don't mind the taste of the raw peppers, and I like them when they are cooked. Go figure. It took me years to be able to get past the smell to bring myself to taste them, though.

I periodically retry the veggies I can't stand--rutabagas, cooked greens of any sort (love them raw), and Brussels sprouts. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out the secret of cooking them just right and actually like them.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote