General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Default Flooding in Midwest

I just watched an hour segment on CNN on the horrible flooding in Iowa and Wisconsin. I have been so wrapped up in my own busyness that I didn't even know about it.

My heart goes out to all of the displaced people, especially any 3FC'ers who may have lost their homes or have been affected in any way.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

My son is enrolled at the University of Iowa where terrible flooding has occurred. The river basically bisects the campus. Many buildings are flooded or have no power. Classes are suspended. It's a mess. I don't know what they're going to do this fall.

We have it a lot better in Des Moines. All the levees except one held here. Cedar Rapids was devastated. Farmland everywhere under water across the state. This will impact everyone as grocery prices will rise due to the decimation of crops. It's really unbelievable.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Prayers fr your area ANNE
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #4  

Anne - I'm sending caring thoughts your way... is there anything that someone from the East Coast can do to help (short of traveling out there?)??

I just can't believe how severe it is. Can you think of any other Iowans who are 3FC'ers??
Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Prayers ascending for everyone affected by the recent weather. So many have been touched, and yes - all of us will feel the effects sooner or later.

Here's hoping that the worst is behind us!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #6  

Anne, please keep us updated. I'm SO sorry.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:57 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

I don't know where you would send flood relief. Red Cross says their funds are low. FEMA says they're about bankrupt. Jay Leno was talking about raising funds the other night but I don't know the details. Send money to the Red Cross I guess & pray that floodwaters recede and fields dry out so farmers can get in the fields again. The damage in Iowa City & Cedar Rapids is unbelievable. I can't believe we've had two 500 year floods in the last 15 years.

There used to be a few others on here from Iowa but none that I've seen lately. This is all going down to Illinois and areas south of us now, so it's just beginning to get bad for some others. All this water has to go somewhere.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #8  

Thanks and if you hear of an organization more direct than Red Cross (not that they aren't direct), let me know. I am going to inquire around here the next few days to see if any local churches or groups will be helping. I may be able to help that way too.

I hate to hear that it's just getting ready to get worse for others. I hope that everyone stays safe and at least can save their valuable possessions. What a tragedy!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

Claire, here is a portion of an e-mail I received at work with a link for flood donations and volunteer opportunities. Thanks for your concern.

One issue that constantly comes up during and after a disaster involves people wanting to help. While officials stressed that the best way to help is to make a cash donation to a charity of your choice, a new way to donate has been announced. By visiting the flood 2008 web site and clicking on the donations link on the upper left side, Iowans and others can donate cash, volunteer and supply their time. This will help both those that want to donate and emergency managers and responders often faced with the task of managing donations. The donation link was coordinated by the Safeguard Iowa Partnership, an agency established to help coordinate private and public response and preparedness efforts. During this disaster, Safeguard Iowa is at the State Emergency Operations Center coordinating private and public efforts. The flood 2008 website is at http://flood2008.iowa.gov/ .
Old 06-22-2008, 12:40 AM   #10  

Thank you, Anne! Maybe I will post that as a thread tomorrow (too sleepy right now)