General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/135

Height: 5'5"

Question Help - I have poison ivy!!

This stinks! I have poison ivy and am looking for some home remedies to try and dry it up quickly. Yes - I have been to the doctor and he put me on a steriod pack. Ahhh!! That has huge issues on its own - I am not trying not to itch and not to eat. Its a little easier to resist the food everytime I look at my bloated body and the peace and quiet of everyone avoiding me and my crabbiness does have a few perks.

Anyway - I have a wedding on Saturday and do not want to attend with blotching red spots. Any suggestions for drying it up quickly?
Just Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

How bad is it? Does it really warrant steroids? (I hate those things)
My hubby gets it pretty badly. He puts rubbing alcohol on it to help dry it and uses an over the counter cream called Ivarest.
It's gonna take time. I don't think it'll be gone by Saturday
Maybe you can cover it with makeup??

Good luck
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #3  
Started Fat Smash 6/16

S/C/G: 286/276/250

Height: 5'7

You should of asked your doctor for a cream also. I just had to go monday because I have it on my face. I can never get any home remedies or otc medicine to work for me The steroids and cream have made a big difference.

I hope yours clears up by the weekend.
LisaNJ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #4  

Our family has always used Tea Tree Oil for rashes and poison ivy. It will help with the itch and heal the blisters. You can buy it plain or mixed with other oils. There are products made especially for rashes and such with Tea Tree added but I would buy the plain. For my kids I would mix the plain Tea Tree with another soothing oil, such as sweet almond, but for an adult I would probably try it in a small area full strength at first-if you can handle it use it full all over. You can also take a lot of Vit C for a couple of days to help the healing.

A few people I know use Aloe Vera for rashes but I haven't found it as effective as the Tea Tree.

If I recall correctly we had success in a couple of days with it...it has been awhile since we have had to use it (thank goodness!)

My heart goes out to you-Itching is a particularly nasty type of pain...
Runfre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I got a rash recently; we're still not sure what caused it, but it has all the same symptoms as poisin ivy, metal allergy, and/or hand dermititus ...

~ keep your hands dry all the time
~ don't use harsh soaps or cleasers
~ wear cotton gloves to protect and keep dry (from drugstore)
~ use large vinyl gloves over the cotton ones to do housework & dishes
~ I got throw-away plastic gloves to put over this when doing yardwork
~ don't put your hands in hot water; use lukewarm
~ GOLD BOND anti-biotic sauve took the itch away right away

ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #6  
ugggg.....

My son used to get poison so bad he blew up like a balloon. Benydryl in the pink box was what worked for him. The pills worked better than the cream.

A homepathic type thing that also worked was a weed that grew in our yard. I don't know the name of it but it's a leaf we used to feed to the rabbits. Hubby would crushed it up by rubbing it between his hands and then put the green "juice" all over son's rash. It worked really well. Sorry I don't now what it is or even how to describe it better. We don't have it growing in our yard in the woods where we are now. I will see if there is some in my mon's yard and take a pic this weekend.
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #7  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Posion ivy loves me. With all its heart. Ick! I use an anti-itch gel I got from Giant grocery store. It's the store brand (Care One or Finest) but it's comprable to the Benadryl anti-itch gel. I've used everything and this is the only thing that actually stops the itching. You can also try blotting it several times a day w/peroxide to help dry it up. Also wash anything you were wearing when you got th P.I. The oils can remain on the clothing and cause more posion ivy on you for quite some time.

Sorry, but I kinda doubt it will be gone by Saturday. I so know how you feel. I've had it so bad that the doc has put my on Prednizone (sp?) b/4. Posion ivy and eyes don't go well together. Good luck!!

Last edited by Hat Trick; 06-18-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Calamine lotion works really well to relieve the itching. I am allergic to poison ivy too and I am pretty sure I got into some this past weekend cause my hands and eyes are itchy!!!
crazycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/135

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the suggestions.

ddc - unfortunately any type of allergen or insect warrants steriods - lucky this time its just the pills.

I'm using 2% cortizone but will be making a trip to the drugstore for some of these options. I am willing to try anything.

I have decided to be a sport and take my ballooned up self to the wedding as long as all the spots are below the neck. If not, then all bets are off and I am homebound and spending the weekend spoiling myself!
Just Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #10  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=165

I use this site for everything. Some sound harmful... I stick with safer sounding remedies. But pay attention to the responses... this will tell you who has tried what and how successful these are.

Last edited by tamaralynn; 06-19-2008 at 08:32 AM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #11  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Wow, one of those posts said to put bleach on it.
That seems harsh to me, but it might work ???

Sorry, you have to take the steroids. I hope they don't afffect you too bad.
Best wishes and speedy recovery
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I'm going to second the tea tree oil.My cousin told me about it and uses it on her and her kids,and as often as they get it...I believe her when she says it works.I've yet to try it for poison ivy,but have used it for other things.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #13  
prepare for the BEST time

I just LOOK at Poison Ivy and I get it.....and steroids make me miserable.

I got my doc. to write a scrip for Halbertrolsol (sp) steroid CREAM which helped me immediately...i was filet-ing the skin off my arm, it itched so badly.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote