General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #1  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Default melanasma, anyone?

The past few weeks I started to notice two brown patches of skin on both cheeks, right next to my nose. I have been out in the sun a lot, however I ALWAYS use sunblock. I am calling to find a dermatologist today, so I am going to get it checked out. My mom noticed it and asked if I was pregnant (yikes!). She called it a "pregnancy mask." I went straight for the computer to look it up and sure enough it is a symptom that many women get whem they are pregnant, but can also happen to women who are on the pill (whew!). It says it is usually benign and just a pigmentation issue, but that it can get worse with continued exposure. I guess I have to really amp up my sunblock usage.

Has anyone had experience with this? Was it easily treatable and did it fade? Mine isn't extremely noticeable and with cover up you almost can't see it at all, but I'd certainly like it to go away!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #2  

I have this from my 2nd pregnancy around my mouth and under my eyes right above my cheek bones. I hate it and each year it gets worse and worse form the sun. Lots of sunblock is what ya need to do to prevent it from getting worse. Mine never fully faded and the sun brings it back even more so. I want dermabrasion in my near future and have a consult appt next week at a Derm

Last edited by PorkChopNoMore; 06-16-2008 at 12:42 PM.
PorkChopNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

My grandma had one on her cheek when she had my mum. Hate to tell this but hers grew, and grew and grew till it covered her right cheek (a perfect round one). She got it checked many times. It wasn't and isn't cancerous (she is 75 and she gave birth to my mother when she was 30) but it kept growing till her menopause.

Hope yours stays small.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #4  

I had a few spots on the bridge of my nose and I also went to a dermatologist. He gave me a prescription for 1% hydroquinone and it was made by netrogena. I really can't say that it worked but I think that the doctor prescribed it to me to make me feel better. Anyway, they did fade after some time but they will come back during the summertime. Now that I use sunscreen, they are not nearly as dark as before and they do fade during winter.
tresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Mine fade if I stay out of the sun. Can't even see them anymore.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote