Who Thinks Up This Phone Stuff?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I just answered the phone and was greeted by a fog horn!
    "Good evening! This is your captain speaking ..."

I hung up!
  • I've had that a couple of times....with seagulls in the background!

I was like, "Do what?? I have no captain!"

>.>

• Maybe it's a weird promo for some new "Love Boat" series??
  • LOL! I get that call all the time at work and it makes me soooo mad! I'm never near a phone when those dang recordings come in, so I have to run or climb down from a ladder, or something else annoying, and it's an evil rotten recording. I've always hung up on the captain too soon to find out what he wants, but I hate him anyway (or at least the lousy company he records for!)
  • You gals can't be serious... this really exists???
  • Oh it exists, all right! Ooooh, that captain! Grrrrrr....
  • maybe an ad for a travel agency? I LOATHE teh calls that come in from the health insurance people who want to sign us up. After the 3rd call from the same person, I get rude!
  • Perhaps he's had too much Captain Morgan ?
  • So much that he infact believes he's "The Captain"

Good theory...couldbe.

But in all honesty, I think it's a public opinion thing. I hung up after "you will receive two free boarding passes if..."
  • I've gotten the captain, too! While working at Master Cuts. In the middle of washing someone's hair, besides!! The captain is evil!
  • I always hang up the second I realise it's a recording. I won't be spoken to by a computer.
  • Harrumph!

Reminds me of the annoying recorded calls I've gotton ON MY CELL PHONE from some shady "carpet cleaning" company.

I was so infuriated after getting them, especially since I have to pay for someone making me a sales pitch, and my number has been on the National Do Not Call List for years!

The first time I got it, I reported it to the FCC, along with the phone # that popped up on my screen. The second time (a month later) they had gotton sneaky enough to block their number, so I couldn't see it and report it.

After digging around, I found out this is a scam business that makes calls like that all across the country! If you "press 1" to "schedule an appointment" and try to ask them why they are calling your cell phone, they will hang up on you! You can't press any other option or the recording will hang up.

So, next time I get one (and I'm sure I will) I will press 1 to speak with someone to set up an appointment. I will then send them to an abandoned house I know about!
  • That's really bad that - having to pay when someone calls you. We don't have that here.
  • We aren't supposed to either. but, if you ever give your cell # out like on a contest entry form, they claim you are part of their customer base. It should be illegal.

So should those damned auto dialers that call you every ten minutes but no one is there when you pick up. For pete's sake I work gvraves, but I have kids so I need to leave the phone on.

Lately I've been being harrasses by car warranty people. It seems likke there are 2 or 3 different co.s. All with different recorded voices and they leave messages plugging up my VM. Aaarrrggg!!!!