General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #61  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

The first time anyone ever called me 'ma'am' I was 26 years old, checking out in the grocery store. The 'kid' who was ringing me up was only 5 or 6 years younger than me. 'Ma'am'????? I was so shocked! I looked him straight in the eye and said 'don't call me ma'am' - lol. Time travel twenty years down the road and of course, I get called ma'am all the time. When I do - and it's mostly by people who work at stores and such -- I just look at them, laugh while shaking my head and say 'ma'am'. If they're really young I just say, with a wink, 'you're turn will come'.

You know, as long as you don't call me late for dinner there's just not much anyone can call me that will really bug me. But if it does, you can be sure I will pipe up and let them know about it!

Gary -- you are a good, kind man. You wink, wink, nudge, nudge with the best of them. No offense taken from this chickie!!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #62  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Angie and I don't have pet names for each other but if we are sending each other a text or an e-mail, they are usually a bit on the racy side, we sign them STALKER and STALKEE!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #63  

I think "ma'am" is okay -- besides, people do need to get our attention when we are shopping, etc. short of yelling "hey you" they have to call you something

The worst was when I was "too thin" (imagine that ) about 18 and looked like a high school tomboy, left the house on a Sunday in sweats and no makeup/short hair and the clerk at the grocery store called me "sir"!!

Last edited by shelby897; 05-19-2008 at 09:45 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #64  

At work, I usually just call people "Ma'am" or "Sir." I wouldn't know what else to call them!! As for my coworkers, everything's on a first-name basis. I don't even think I know anybody's last name.

When I'm pretty comfortable with people, I usually call them "Babycakes." I don't even remember how it started, but it just kind of stuck. I hope I haven't offended anyone with it! Haha.

As for names that people call me, I only like it when my boyfriend calls me "Sweetie." Anyone else calls me that and I'm like "Uhh buddy you're overstepping some boundaries there." I also hate it when people mispronounce my name. Elisa: "Ehl-ee-SAH" That is the correct way. Haha. I get "Ehl-EYE-zuh" "Uh-lyss-uh" "Ehl-suh" Blahhh I don't like it.
I also have some friends that like to call me "Frodo" because I keep my hair short and if I just let it air-dry, it does look very much like Hobbit hair. Hahaha. I'm sure if I put some sort of product in it and let it air-dry, I'd get some different results, but I always blow-dry it and style it to be safe.
I have one friend who likes to call me "Elisajah." And another one who calls me "Squid."

Oh, and I must agree with those who sid that "Woman" was out of the question. I think that is absolutely disrespectful and I hate hate HATE it. I will call anyone (even strangers) out on it. If anyone calls me "woman" or "mujer" (woman in Spanish) oooo they better watch out.

I forgot what else I was going to type. Lol.
cephalopod gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:44 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 250/150/135

Height: 5'4

Terms of endearment don't bother me, I think they are sweet.

I'm not old enough to be a ma'am and I correct anyone who calls me it LOL
ShannanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #66  

I remembered what else I was going to type!!

Haha, it has to do with how I addressed my teachers in high school. I was really close with my band directors and I would call them so many things...
Roland Sandoval was: Sandoval, Sandy, Roland, Rolando (hardly ever "Mr." unless he was angry)
Wesley Perkins was: Perkins, Perky, Wes, "Anyone named Wes is worth it!" (Inside joke there, none of this student-teacher impropriety)
George Garza was: Garza, George... mostly Garza though.
If I wasn't as close with them, I probably wouldn't have been so adventurous, and I can see how it would be considered disrespectful, but they were cool with it, and in front of other faculty members I addressed them as "sir" or "Mr. ________"

I was also close with my English teacher Mr. Davern. I would call him "Davern" or "The Dav." We used to have a joke where instead of "Dangit!" (or other, similar exclamations ) we would say "Davit!!" Kind of silly, but he was super cool. He was my real-life version of Mr. Keating from Dead Poets Society, and if I had seen that movie while I was in his class I probably would have called him "O Captain, My Captain" as well.
cephalopod gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:27 AM   #67  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

I don't get offended easily. It is all in the tone for sure. The only thing I don't like to be called...like some others here...is Hun and Ma'am. I am definitely not old enough to be ma'am and I can't stand being called Hun by some girl the same age or younger than me. I think calling someone Hun who is older or about the same age is disrespectful if you don't know her personally. I had a friend that called everyone hun. I didn't mind her doing it because we had a relationship. Some random girl from the streets....not so much! I also don't particularly like being called a B***h. Call me one and you will see one for sure.

Gary - I haven't had the pleasure of posting in the same spots as you and in turn, have not received a pet name to be offended by. I am starting to think I need one...

Last edited by xGurlyGrlx; 05-20-2008 at 02:27 AM.
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #68  
Ready to lose...

Ma'am. As crazy as that probably sounds as it is seen as "respect". It just makes me want to hurl something at the person saying it. I'm in my 20's please don't make me feel older.
branflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #69  
Woman on a mission

Height: 5'10"

I know it's going to sound silly...But a woman I work with I can't stand it when she calls me 'SWEETIE'. Just her though. Anyone else is ok I guess. But she says it in a way that makes me feel like she is talking down to me....if that makes sense.
MaNdA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #70  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

i hate being called cute or cutie mainly because i feel like i should always be in a dress or something really girly and frilly that is not really me at all

as far as nicknames for kids go our son who is 4 is known as munchkin man.
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:36 PM   #71  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hated m'am at first - then moved to the south and got used to it as it is a sign of respect. Actually the proper term for someone younger would be Miss (not missy) - but people don't like that either.

I agree with Gator and Junebug - when someone is wayyyyyy younger than me and they use the term hun in a gum snapping, snarky tone, I hate it. But it doesn't do any good to say anything to them.

My first preference is to be called by my name, other than that no name, a smile and just a polite demeanor suits me just fine.

Last edited by happy2bme; 06-10-2008 at 01:37 PM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote