General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #46  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

There's a few, lol. Honey, ugh! Sweetie, hun, sweetie pie, ma'am any of those I really dislike especially by strangers. As well as dear...I use dear when being sarcastic with the hubby or anyone. I really despise when people try to shorten my name, kids names etc. I go by Cristina and don't want to be called Cris. My chiro called me that one time and not thinking I did but apparently I shot him a look like don't you ever call me that...that is not my name. He never did, lol.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #47  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

EZ
You may call me any old thing you like as long as it isn't " to late for mountain dew time " lol. I consider the people I chat with on this site my friends. Doesn't bother me what pet name they might use. The hubby knows to NEVER call me WOMAN oh that is just a fighting word lol. I really dislike it when someone I do not know calls me something like sweetie or hun ( such as waitresses ). We were at a restaurant one time and the waitress called my husband sweetie. I asked her if she knew my husband much better than I thought she did. My children's friends call me Mrs B. Children do not call adults by their first name, that is how I was raised. I still call older people Mr or Mrs unless they are very close family friends. My children call adults Mr or Mrs or Miss.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 05-19-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #48  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Well me and my kids are from the south...southern California I was taught and I taught to call adults Mr. or Mrs. ......unless they gave you the OK to call them by their first name.

Most of my kids friends over the years called me Mr. M....., I would tell them they could call me Gary if they wished...most did...some have always stuck with Mr. M.....

Angie and I both have been called DUDE by a couple of the kids that have hung out here over the years...knucklehead (polliwog) included...we just go with the flow...kids are kids and they never meant it as disrespect.

Around my house I am called ~ Babe (Angie) Gary (step-d) Daddy (daughter) Pops (son) Uncle Gary, Uncle G and Dude (polliwog)

Angie is called ~ Babe (me) mom (her daughter) Angela ( my son) Angie ( my daughter), Dude and Double AA...for Aunt Angie (Polliwog) Ma (myself and my son) and The Ang...by all of us (her ex calls her that..."is The Ang home?"....we kid her about it...my truck license plate reads FORDANG....for the Ang ...for d Ang....

The kids are called ~ Ryan...Ry-Ry....son...dude ~ Amanda....Sweetie Pie....Panda Bear ~ Lara.....la-la....lollipop....squirt ~ Ron........Ronny....knucklehead....polliwog....... ...by various family members.

We all take on a lot of names for the hats we wear don't we!

After all I am a man ~ son ~ brother ~ father ~ husband ~ uncle ~ friend...

Anyway....as Diane said....some get offended if I don't call them BABE!......right ROCKIE and RED SOX and CARDINAL BABES?....not to be confused with my GATORGALS!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #49  

At least the people at Gary's house have names -- I've gone from "Susan" to "Dave's wife" to "Christopher/Nicholas' mom" whenever their friends talk to me. You know what, it's all the same, no matter what I'm called it is usually in reference to something I need to do, forgot to do or don't want to do!!!

But, I can still remember as a kid my uncle calling my sister "angel angela" and me "boy named sue" (I wasn't a big johnny cash fan at 6 years old) so I found that kind of offensive!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #50  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
........ You know what, it's all the same, no matter what I'm called it is usually in reference to something I need to do, forgot to do or don't want to do!!!

Too funny SHELBY!

But, I can still remember as a kid my uncle calling my sister "angel angela" and me "boy named sue" (I wasn't a big johnny cash fan at 6 years old) so I found that kind of offensive!!
OH MY ...sounds like an "Uncle Gary"...I might know....(smacks head)

so if it's Susan...how do you get Shelby?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #51  

Shelby was actually a cat I got when I was 18 -- who traveled/moved with me for 10 years and finally was put to sleep when my oldest was 2 -- she was an awesome barn cat but also makes it very easy for me to remember all my log-ins everywhere!! (And, I loved the name which would have been my daughter -- had I ever had one!!). And, the "897" is my anniversary -- August 1997.

Last edited by shelby897; 05-18-2008 at 07:28 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:32 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I can't stand being called "babe". For some reason it reeks of disrespect for me, like a ditz or whatever. Ma'am ing doesn't really bother me, especially being that not a lot of people know the 'Miss, Ms. Ma'am' difference.
Hon and dear don't bother me, usually it's older people saying that. Could be called worse.

I call people "dude" almost involuntarily. I call my friends 'dude' or 'lady'

I call my husband 'thing' or 'thing-a-majig', He usually calls me "meh".
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I had a supervisor once that called us "kids" - - that drove me nuts. Other than that I'm not easily offended.

I call my kids by so many nicknames that you can easily be at our house all day and not really be sure what their names are. I have Quentin Zachary who can be Q, Qman, Q-ball, QZ, Q-dude, or (my favorite) oldest kid. I have Julia Nicole who is J, J-bird, Jules, Ju Ju Bee, Ju-boom-a-foo, Julesey, JJ, Ju-nic, Juli-boo, or the girl. Finally, I have Travis Riley who can be T, Tman, Trib, Tribby, Triblet, or shortest kid. (I put in their middle names so that the nicknames made more sense) When I'm calling all of them at once I just yell Q! J! T! Pronto!

BF calls me baby, very rarely does he call me by name unless he's trying to get my attention. Then he usually calls me by both my first and middle name. We call each other "dear" as a code for "you're starting to get on my nerves".

I work with the elderly, so I get called sweetie, honey, and dear all the time and I'm very likely to call people hon or dear as well. One thing I do is I tell my kids that they don't call adults by their first names, but by Mr. and Miss and then the first name if it is someone that we know well. My friends are Miss Jenn, Miss Angel, so on and so forth. It's a nice middle ground for my friends that feel that Mr. or Mrs. are too formal.
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #54  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Oh yeah. And I hate it when men refer to their wives as "the wife". The wife? Whose wife? Like there's one and only one.

I grew up with friends of my parents whose last name no one tried to get us to pronounce - they were Mr. Tony and Mrs. Betty. Between daycare friends and Girl Scouts I got very used to being Mrs. (firstname) or Miss (firstname). I much prefer it to Kidsname's Mom.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #55  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
One day he refers to the Mrs. as "Virginia" (her first name) I practically fainted. I can't put it into words... it just felt so dirty & taboo.
Sort of like when you heard a teacher called by their first name.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #56  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
Sort of like when you heard a teacher called by their first name.
Yes!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #57  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Mom2QJandT ~ Ha! that reminds me of when my son was growing up...to his friends he was R-Dog or Mille...like they coundn't even add the last letter in his last name!

WebRover ~humm...now I always ask the "woman" how her 'ol man is doing if he isn't with her...never ever do I say 'ol or old lady!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:42 PM   #58  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

As far as "cute little pet names" go, when my "elders" call me any of those, sweeties, huns, etc I don't really mind.

But I hatehatehatehatehate it when someone my age does it to me. (I'm only 20).
THE Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:59 PM   #59  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I try to take things as they're meant, which means that you can call me most things in a nice way and I won't be offended, but you can call me most things in a nasty way and I'll be irritated.

Example - sweetie from my grandfather is great...and sweet! Sweetie from a skeeve at a bar while he puts his hand on my knee...gross. Sweetie from a condescending saleswoman at a high-end clothing store...irritating.

In an online context, I tend to get irritated when people call me things in quotes. Like, Amanda is "nice". Ugh. This convention of putting things in quotes should never have started. It makes me batty (even MORE when people do it with their fingers in the air...)
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #60  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

i call everyone lovey.... i think its a local thing to where i live.

i hate being called Darlin' by smarmy men at work... makes my skin crawl.

and i hate being called Mate by blokes as well... its offensive as i am clearly not male so why use a male word with me?
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote