General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #31  
Addicted to potato salad!

In my daughter's school, when she was in first grade, they had this class for the fifth graders and proceeded to hand out condoms and tampons to the class. Needless to say, after school, the walkers in the village were blowing up the condoms and throwing the tampons at each other. Gross. The parents had a FIT and now they are much more 'stick to the facts'.

My daughter got her period in 4th grade, so we already discussed these things before hand, as well. We also have a scuttle around the playground during recess that some kids have 'done it'...in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!! What's up with that? Jeez! How could kids be left so unsupervised to the point they could not only have the privacy to experiment with sex, but have the boredom with life that that's all they can think of to do to have fun! What a shame! I guess if they're going to be learning this stuff, they should be learning it from teachers or parents, not on the playground...
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I went through puberty in 5th grade and while I had a small idea of what was happening, I didn't know a lot, so it was really "scary" in a sense. Kids seem to be going through puberty faster these days, so I think it's important for them to know what is to come.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #33  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

ddc -- my youngest is also in 5th grade and she's been talking about 'the girls film' since the start of school. Oy. Friends have older sisters and older siters talk. We also had to sign the permission slip but they also said on it that the film they were showing and what they w/be discussing is available in the library if parents want to come in to view it. See if the school w/let you go in and view the film. My oldest (she's a senior) had this same film and was clueless about periods or anything else. I did not discuss this w/her prior because I knew she had no idea. The film and puberty talk from school was a great way to introduce it and for us to talk about it. She's a person who is extremely bright and observant but who will keep to herself and keep her thoughts to herself if she wants. I answered any questions she had (she was kind of quiet about the whole thing).

My youngest around Christmas time asked me some stuff because one of her friends was carrying pads in her purse. I answered whatever questions she asked -- none of them were about sex just about her body and how it was changing.

When my kids were littler they'd ask where babies came from. My answer (didn't even think about it, it just popped out) was 'mamas and daddys and God'.

"I remember having puberty instructions in Catholic school in 5th grade. We were separated from the boys but had filmstrips later on in the year with boys and girls together. The boys laughed when they talked about girl stuff, but we laughed at them went it discussed boy stuff. I think my mother was relieved that she didn't have to bring it up. She did ask me later if I had any questions. I think I was too embarrassed to ask anything though and I know my mom was uncomfortable. I remember asking her what pads were and she blew me off about it. She later said her mother never talked about that kind of stuff and felt very awkward about it."

Murphmitch -- I think you and I were seperated at birth!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get n healthy View Post
Like sunrose said, YOU may not be ready to talk about it but i bet your kids are not nearly as naive as you think they are. I bet if anyone is naive it is you. Kids now days dont live in a bubble with no tv's and no internet and no friends. ;-)
My oldest was very naive about puberty, my youngest is not, my middle child is special needs and we decided to not let him see 'the boys film' when he was in 7th grade because he was not emotionally ready or physically ready for it. We talked to him when we knew he was able to handle the information.

Although tv, internet and friends abound not everyone is allowed to watch whatever they want. NONE of our kids have a tv, phone or computer in their room. My oldest just got a cell phone last year -- when she got a job and could pay for the phone and the monthly bill. She was 16. Yeah, we're real dinosaurs! We use the parental controls on our tv because there is too much crap on there to just let them watch whatever. Our computer is in the living room where traffic is in and out all the time. I check up on them. Friends talk but 5th graders don't nearly understand the full concept of puberty, sex and the like. Not saying that they aren't interested or even doing it but at 10 their understanding and their emotional development is immature.

Schools providing this type of info to kids is great but the real core and discussions need to come from parents. Don't ever be embarassed about 'body talk' stuff. Its natural and kids will listen and appreciate it if you tell them the truth and are not freaked out about it.

Last edited by Hat Trick; 05-14-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote