3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   What is the easiest and hardest things about living on your own? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/140212-what-easiest-hardest-things-about-living-your-own.html)

BellaLucia 04-18-2008 09:18 PM

What is the easiest and hardest things about living on your own?

I'm looking to move out of my parents' home ASAP and would like to get a glimpse of what I'm in for.

Apple Cheeks 04-18-2008 09:37 PM

The easiest things are that you get to do whatever you want!

You can wander around nekkid in your home, decorate how you want, you can take long, hot showers without worrying about someone waiting for the bathroom or using up all the hot water, and you have all the freedom that comes with making the rules in your own place. Also, no one else will eat your food, wear your clothes, or "borrow" something without your permission.

The hardest part, for me, is that I am the one who is responsible for fixing things, killing spiders, paying the bills, and making sure the house is presentable for guests. I never had to worry about any of that before I moved into my own place.

The first time the toilet wouldn't stop running, or the pilot light went out on the water heater, I had to figure out how to fix it! Now, I can fix most routine problems in the house, killing bugs is no big deal (but I still make a show of it for guys ;)), I am much better at managing my finances, and I usually keep the house (mostly) clean.

Pixiesue 04-18-2008 09:39 PM

I wish I knew!

Lovely 04-18-2008 09:39 PM

Easiest... Paying bills. I had practice paying my own bills at home, so it didn't really change when I went out on my own. A couple more of them, maybe, but that wasn't much trouble. I'm pretty good with a budget.

Hardest... Doing chores. Never was good at those... :o I've gotten better, but I still hate washing dishes... and I don't think I'll ever be able to keep my room clean...:rolleyes:

BellaLucia 04-18-2008 09:47 PM

Thanks for your input everyone.

SoyLaBelleza 04-18-2008 11:07 PM

I live alone right now. Have for a couple years. Easiest would be the freedom. You don't have to worry if you're disturbing someone when you want to watch television at 3 in the morning. Get to walk around naked. Hah. No one interferes with your private time. The hardest things are those unexpected ones... when something freakin breaks! Paying bills alone. Sometimes it can be lonely. Keeping up with all the chores.

Specifically talking about weight loss... that can go either way. I personally do not freakin work out when someone is in my house. Way too embarrassing. Lol. I do eat better when people are around though.

HarpoChicoGroucho 04-18-2008 11:54 PM

The easiest is listening to music as loud (and singing along) as I want to, being able to lounge about in my underwear (I still don't ever go about naked), having all the privacy I need, having the guys I date come over (and the more serious ones sleep over), not having people snooping through my mail, keeping alcohol around (parents didn't allow it in the house even when I was 21). And doing my workout DVD's in my living room, instead of a small bedroom. :)

The worst is not having anyone to talk to when I get home, keeping my bills organized, not eating home cooked food as much, having to buy the little incidentals that I never had to worry about, like paper towels, tp, cleaning products, etc. And the big things, like appliances/electronics (I had to buy washer/dryer, tv, microwave, computer, vacuum cleaner and DVD player). And moving itself sucks! I moved three times now, and I hate packing and unpacking and then arranging and getting things put back together and hung up.

jellydisney 04-19-2008 06:34 AM

The pros outweigh the cons if you ask me. You can do what you want, when you want. No one to yell at you for being a slob. No one taking up your space, using the tv you wanted to watch, using the computer, etc.

The worst part, for me, would be being alone. I tend to get scared especially at night about burglers and murderers and all sorts of irrational things.

KateRN 04-19-2008 09:28 PM

its great being able to do things on your own time. want to watch tv? - no one else wants to either, so its all yours! you have all your own food in the fridge, you can decorate however you want....

but paying all the bills can be rough and if you dont manage that well, it will effect your credit - which will effect your other options in the future for a long long time. coming home to an empty house can be hard sometimes, really really nice others. my advice - get a pet.

HarpoChicoGroucho 04-19-2008 09:59 PM

I forgot about being scared! I was so scared at night by myself at my first apartment, that when I shopped for my second, I only looked at places with intrusion alarms or gated communities. I found a place with an intrusion alarm monitored by the police department (I have to pay for this though) and 24 hour security presence. And they get there quick. One time my mom came into my apartment and forgot my code, and set off the alarm, and they were there in less than 2 minutes.

jillybean720 04-19-2008 10:20 PM

I really liked living alone. I was working 2 jobs at the time, and I didn't have to worry about disturbing anyone when I came home at midnight or fighting someone for the shower at 5am. If I didn't have time to clean, who cared? If I left my clothes in the dryer for a week before taking them out, who cared? If I wanted to keep my aparmtent at 65 degrees, who cared (other than my wallet come bill paying time ;) )?

So the pros: freedom and independence

That said, you have to be extremely responsible. You have to be able to handle the bills on your own (which is why I had picked up a second job). If you have close neighbors (like in most apartment complexes), you have to be considerate of how noisey you are (music, movies, gatherings, etc.).

To this day, I'm sooo bad at chores. Dishes don't get done until I have no clean ones left. Same with laundry. Things like vacuuming usually only get done if someone is coming over. I don't live alone anymore, but it's just me and my fiance, and we're both about the same level of cleanliness/messiness, so we don't complain about each other's messes very often at all.

Coming home to an empty house can sometimes be lonely, but it can also be empowering. I remember walking in my front door and just being so glad that I could do WHATEVER I wanted without having to think about anyone else (with the exception of noise for neighbors). Having my own place made me feel very indepentend and successful, especially since my first place alone was in an expensive area (again, hence, the second job). I learned a lot about myself--what I was and was not willing to do, what luxuries I was or was not wiling to give up in order to be able to pay the bills, how hard I was willing to work in order to be able to live the type of lifestyle I wanted, etc.

techwife 04-19-2008 10:31 PM

Easiest thing: Decorating your new pad! Buying towels for your bathroom and kitchen...stocking the fridge with your favorite food! Awesome! Also...FREEDOM! Come and go as you please and nobody to yell at you or tell you you're giving them grey hair (HA! I'm a hairdresser and have been coloring the gray hairs I gave my mom for 20 years!!)

Hardest: When you get older, you stop being scared of bumps in the night, but even in your early 20's your mind can still play tricks on you. Trick: Get an apartment on the second or third floor...then the only access to your apartment is the front door...which can be padlocked and have a chair in front of if you are still scared. Truthfully, the parking lot is the scariest place of an apartment complex. If you are still scared, have jammie parties with your best friends...but, DON'T LET THEM MOVE IN!!

Also, if you have a roomate....DO NOT HAVE A FRIEND FOR A ROOMATE!!!!! I know, I just mentioned this, but, trust me...it will end in disaster!! If you can afford to live alone, do it.