General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default Where do you "Store Your Stuff"?

Cute (but somewhat scarey) article from Prevention Magazine showed up in my in-box this morning and thought I'd share it with you . . . http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23727879/

I am certainly guilty of a few of them . . . Toothbrush on the bathroom sink; whole pots of soup/stew directly into the 'fridge; fruit (and veggies) in the kitchen sink; eating in front of the TV.

How about you?
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I think I'm guilty of almost everyone of the things listed. The worst one to me is the bottom of your purse. Especially when you use a public restroom with no hook to hang your purse from. I try to put it on the floor at home, but in thinking back, I know I sometimes put it on the counter. Yuk!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I actually don't do any of those things- Biology, Chemistry and Microbiology classes showed me all I need to know about transfer of bacteria and microbes etc. and my food handler certification classes showed me proper food preparation and storage. The nasty facts and experiments really stuck with me!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #4  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Great article, thanks for posting!
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #5  

I am guilty of sometimes putting my purse on the counter (not anymore!). I also pick up my prescrip from the drive-through sometimes just because the store is always so busy inside...I'll probably be going in now. Interesting article, I'm glad you shared.

Last edited by WinterStarzz; 03-30-2008 at 01:57 PM.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #6  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Great article! Must admit, I am a complete and total SPAZOID when it comes to a purse on the counter or kitchen table. I freak out if anyone does this. I liken it to putting your shoes on these surfaces --- BLECH!!! If you think about where your purse lands on any given day . . . floor of a bathroom stall, shopping cart, dressing room floors, church floors, etc. Guarantee you, that's my mom's influence -- thanks mom!

I knew about how nasty kitchen sinks can be and try to bleach it down frequently and never put veggies or fruit in it.

I do keep the coffee in the freezer for exactly the reasons the article said most people do. Think I heard it keeps it fresher on some show or another.

Did anyone ever see that show on Oprah about household items and how long to keep them? Things like razors, toothbrushes, pillows. They had a woman on who had been sleeping on the same pillow forever and never cleaned it. Same w/her toothbrush and razor -- they were decades old. All I can say is -- ah, gross! I did change something from watching that show though. I only use a dishcloth one day then put it in to be washed and use a clean one the next day. I only scrub pots/burners w/a sponge, never wipe surfaces w/it. And bleach is my friend.

Thanks for posting the article. Very informative!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I have been putting my sponges in the dishwasher. It is supposed to disinfect them pretty well. I also have read that you can microwave them but that doesn't sound like they would be very clean to me. I also use bleach in my sinks. I have sinkmats that get pretty slimy if you don't soak them in bleach water and scrub frequently.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Well the only one I really do is the toothbrush on the sink. But then, I flush while still sitting on the toilet. So it can't propel the germs 6 feet. It can only propel them onto my rump and back into my undies. So I won't be sticking my toothbrush in my undies any time soon. LOL
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven View Post
Well the only one I really do is the toothbrush on the sink. But then, I flush while still sitting on the toilet. So it can't propel the germs 6 feet. It can only propel them onto my rump and back into my undies. So I won't be sticking my toothbrush in my undies any time soon. LOL
Too funny!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #10  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Wow . . . I'm really glad to hear that . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #11  

Quote:
That is hilarious. I always try to remember (and get my husband to) close the lid to the toilet before flushing. I do leave my toothbrush on the counter most of the time. I would NEVER put my purse/diaper bag on the kitchen counter, though. The farthest it gets from the floor is on a kitchen chair.
hellcatjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #12  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

My toilets aren't right by my sink and for heavens sakes don't people close the lid anyway? People thought I was nuts for years because I always carried a package of disinfectant wipes with me and wiped off the handles of shopping carts and the part that I sat my purse in. Wasn't nuts was I lol now most stores have those wipes just as you walk into the store. Our shoes sit on a shoe rack on the porch because we don't wear shoes in our house. Our dress shoes go to the closet but we don't wear then out in the grass. Oh my gosh my husband laughs that I breath out of my foot. One foot is always hanging out of the blankets, that is to funny.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #13  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

We also put the lid down -- I've trained the kids to do this as well. Originally it was because I didn't want the dog or cat to drink out of the toilet (oh come on, that is SO gross) and I really, really didn't want toys thrown down the toilet when the kids were littler. Ok, so we had to call the plumber a few times to get the plastic farm cow, lego king and toothbrush out of the toilet. But they all close the lid. When company comes over they don't close the lid. I yell at my brothers (not others) when they do this. They act like I'm nuts. I try to turn my back whenever I flush in a public restroom because I don't want all that 'backsplash' on the front of me.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #14  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Wow, thanks for this info. I think I am guilty of most of them, yikes!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Red face

"The worst stall to pick in a public bathroom: the one in the middle"

[Sen. Larry Craig] Tell me about it! [/Sen. Larry Craig]

::ducks and runs::

Last edited by ANOther; 04-02-2008 at 06:01 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote