3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > General chatter

General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Devestated & need advice

Old 03-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #31
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Yay for true love!!

(I'm a hopeless romantic at heart!)

Old 03-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #32
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

It sounds as if the decision has already been made. But just in case, I'm going to try to dissuade you. It doesn't appear as if what others said has had the effect, but who knows, maybe just one more.

Anyway...

1. He's not offering to marry you BEFORE the move.
2. You've given no urgent reason for his needing to move other than "he decided to".
3. Does he have a job already lined up?
4. Where's your guarantee? You may THINK he's the one. You may feel it with all your heart, but what did you think of those other few men before, while they were in your life?
5. You CAN always move back BUT, can you always get your job back?
6. Why the rush that he can't allow you some time to prepare, to learn French before you go?

I had plenty of others, but I've been interrupted like 20 times in 5 minutes and I'm just giving up at this point. LOL

Just really consider all of it before you go. Think with your head and NOT your gut. Then allow your gut a little wiggle room in there. But the first thoughts should come from the head. If the head don't line up with the heart, you're going to have problems down the road. Either homesickness or whatever, but somewhere, they'll clash.

Post-pregnancy:
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 AM   #33

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Height: 5'7"

Tu as besoin d'habiter en quebec parce que la langue francaise est tres belle!

(You need to live in Quebec because the French language is beautiful!)

Hopefully I did that right, but yeah it's been a while since I had French.

You will pick it up a lot faster than you think. I think maybe you should take a class at the local college there, if a elementary French language course is offered. That way you can get your basics down and learn the "street language" at the same time through everyday interactions (like going to get your coffee at the coffee shop!)

Go with your gut, remember, decisions are most of the time reversible, and in this case you can always move back home! Good Luck!

-Liz.

OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:54 AM   #34
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

How long have you been with this man? You say that he is the one, and you love him. I think that's awesome. You also say he treats you like gold. I think that's awesome too, but how long have you been with him? A lot of couples go through that honeymoon phase the first 6 months - 1 year of their relationship, then things may change once you really feel comforatble around each other and it's inevitable that you will have little fights every now and then - no real couple is perfect and never disagrees about anything.

So, I just hope that you have been with him for awhile before you are moving, because if you have only been with him for a short time and you are willing to give up your life for him, you might find out he isn't going to treat you like gold all of the time.

no matter what, good luck with it.

The "I gained weight after my wedding and need to lose it" goal: 133 lbs

The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #35

S/C/G: 272/240/140

Height: 5'8"

This is probably really late to add, but a LOT of Quebecois speak English very well, and you pick up the French fast. They're also extremely nice about letting you learn your way through, not rolling their eyes and switching to English.
vikkivma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #36

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

WHAT AN OLD THREAD!!!!!!

How amazing to read Thank you for all the support given to me (FYI this is from mid-2008!!!)

We are now married, have a nearly 1 year old son, and have bought our house in Quebec! I have been taking French lessons since I posted this, left my career to be a stay at home mom, and life is peachy.

We stayed in British Columbia for almost 3 more years after I made this thread and built a life together. We have friends and family here in Quebec, somethign we didn't have in BC.

Start: 145lbs around December 2012(*Baby born November 2012)
Mini-goal 1: 140lbs*Achieved January 20th, 2013
Mini-goal 2: 135lbs*Achieved February 18th, 2013
Mini-goal 3: 130lbs*Achieved April 8, 2013
Mini-goal 4: 125lbs
Long-term goal: 120-125lbs
Losing while nursing... slow and steady
Maintainer 2004-2009 & 2 babies & now losing from Nov 2012 - present

sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. We have made the decision to move. I will be attending McGill which is one of the top universities in the country and am enrolled in my dream program (not available where I am now). The language will be difficult but I am going to study it at university during the summer and hope to get the hang of it. He had originally planned to move back before he met me however has stayed because of me.
I'm glad. Worst case scenario it's a great adventure and you could come back bilingual. Think of what that would do to your ability to get a government job later?
Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #38
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
WHAT AN OLD THREAD!!!!!!

How amazing to read Thank you for all the support given to me (FYI this is from mid-2008!!!)

We are now married, have a nearly 1 year old son, and have bought our house in Quebec! I have been taking French lessons since I posted this, left my career to be a stay at home mom, and life is peachy.

We stayed in British Columbia for almost 3 more years after I made this thread and built a life together. We have friends and family here in Quebec, somethign we didn't have in BC.
Isn't it great to revisit this old thread and see how well life has turned out for you?

This just makes me smile. I'm delighted for you, your husband, and your son!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #39

S/C/G: 163/128/125

In hindsight, it was still a risk! Hehe

Start: 145lbs around December 2012(*Baby born November 2012)
Mini-goal 1: 140lbs*Achieved January 20th, 2013
Mini-goal 2: 135lbs*Achieved February 18th, 2013
Mini-goal 3: 130lbs*Achieved April 8, 2013
Mini-goal 4: 125lbs
Long-term goal: 120-125lbs
Losing while nursing... slow and steady
Maintainer 2004-2009 & 2 babies & now losing from Nov 2012 - present

sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.