General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Oprah is getting her own network

Apparently she will be taking over Discovery Health. It will become OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network).

I hope she will keep some of the shows like A Lyon In The Kitchen.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

WOW! I love Discovery Health. I hope it will be as good or better than it is now!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I love Discovery Health, too! I second SoulBliss. I hope that the theme of Discovery Health will still be there even with Oprah's own ideas.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

not a big fan of oprah...but i love discovery health..hopefully she'll do go things for it and not change all the good stuff about it.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #5  
Gettin' healthy in 2008

S/C/G: 225/186/125

Height: 5'1"

she isn't actually taking over Discovery Health Channel - she has joined forces with DHC to create her OWN channel - separate from DHC!

Here's the story:
OPRAH WINFREY AND DISCOVERY COMMUNICATIONS TO FORM
NEW JOINT VENTURE: "OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network"

OWN to Premiere in 2009 with Distribution in 70 Million U.S. Homes
Will Be Simulcast in HD and Includes the Power of Oprah.com

David Zaslav and Oprah Winfrey
Chicago, Ill. and Silver Spring, Md. – Tuesday, January 15, 2008 – In an unprecedented deal, Oprah Winfrey and Discovery Communications announced plans today to create "OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network." The new multi-platform media venture will be designed to entertain, inform and inspire people to live their best lives. OWN will debut in 2009 in more than 70 million homes, on what is currently the Discovery Health Channel. The venture will also include the award-winning digital platform, Oprah.com.

"Fifteen years ago, I wrote in my journal that one day I would create a television network, as I always felt my show was just the beginning of what the future could hold," said Oprah Winfrey, who will serve as chairman of OWN. "For me, the launch of 'The Oprah Winfrey Network' is the evolution of the work I've been doing on television all these years and a natural extension of my show."

"There is no stronger voice than Oprah Winfrey in engaging, motivating and connecting people to live healthier lives. Oprah has inspired me personally, and through this new venture, Oprah's talent and drive will have a dedicated multimedia platform to empower, engage and connect with people on-air and on-line," said David Zaslav, President and CEO of Discovery Communications. "At Discovery, our goals are to improve the quality of the networks while expanding the reach and success of our web presence. This venture does both, and having Oprah as Chairman and creative leader makes OWN a very unique property in a crowded media landscape."

OWN's mission is to create multiple platforms for women, men and their families with a purpose and a passion: to celebrate life, to inspire and entertain, empowering viewers around the world to live their best lives, and by doing so, lift the lives of those around them in ever-widening circles.

In addition to providing her talent, and personal commitment, Winfrey will have full editorial control over the joint venture and will be responsible for OWN's programming, branding and creative vision.

Winfrey will serve as Chairman of The Oprah Winfrey Network, LLC and the venture will be 50/50 owned by Discovery and Harpo. This is a cashless transaction and The Oprah Winfrey Network, LLC will be an independent company.

Discovery Communications will contribute to the venture the Discovery Health Channel as well as handle distribution, origination and other operational requirements for the proposed venture. Both organizations will contribute advertising sales services to the venture.

The search for OWN's Chief Executive Officer to oversee day-to-day venture operations will begin immediately.

Oprah.com offers extensive expert advice, interactive workbooks, photos, video, inspirational stories, books and features to more than six million unique visitors with more than 80 million page views per month.

Since its launch in 1999, Discovery Health has given viewers access to the world of medicine, health and wellness through voices of experience and stories of inspiration. Historically, the ratings and audience share for Discovery Health has been less than 20% of the total ratings of viewers watching the Discovery Channel or TLC.

About Harpo

Harpo Productions, Inc. produces the number one rated, award-winning "The Oprah Winfrey Show," creates and develops original TV programming, and operates Oprah.com, a premier women's lifestyle website. Harpo Print, LLC and Hearst Magazines publish the monthly O, The Oprah Magazine and quarterly O at Home publications. Harpo Films, Inc. produces feature films as well as top-rated telefilms under the "Oprah Winfrey Presents" banner. Harpo Radio, Inc. produces "Oprah & Friends" (Channel 156) on XM Satellite Radio.

About Discovery Communications

Discovery Communications is the number-one nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in over 170 countries. Discovery's 100-plus worldwide networks are led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, The Science Channel, Discovery Health and HD Theater, with digital media properties including HowStuffWorks.com. Discovery Communications is owned by Discovery Holding Company (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB), Advance/Newhouse Communications and John S. Hendricks, Discovery's founder and chairman. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.

Viewers seeking more information about this new network may enter inquiries under Corporate Information at Discovery Viewer Relations.
Frozen Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

To me it still sounds like they're handing her the existing Discovery Health Channel. I watch a lot of that channel as well, and I like Oprah, so I hope it is good.

But...doesn't she already have a network? I thought Oxygen was hers.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Peach View Post
she isn't actually taking over Discovery Health Channel - she has joined forces with DHC to create her OWN channel - separate from DHC!
From the article you posted, it still sounds like she's taking over DHC. Here are the pieces that say DHC will BECOME OWN:

"OWN will debut in 2009 in more than 70 million homes, on what is currently the Discovery Health Channel."

"Discovery Communications will contribute to the venture the Discovery Health Channel..."

And I am with Amy...I thought Oxygen was Oprah's channel?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I like Discovery Health...this should be interesting. I hope she doesn't change it...
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #9  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I'm with you...I thought Oxygen was Oprah's?? Confusing!!

Should be good anyway!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Who says she can't have 2? I am really hoping that she doesn't change too much of it.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:02 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

Oh yeah, I'm fine with her having two networks. It's just confusing the way they're reporting on this. Everything I'm reading sort of implies this is a first for her, and is it Discovery Health? Is it not? It doesn't matter really in the grand scheme of things, I'm just confused.

I'm sort of thinking maybe it won't change too much. Dr. Oz dominates their primetime programming right now, doesn't he? (Well maybe not dominates it, but he's always got some special on). So I would guess Oprah wouldn't just boot him!

Last edited by Amy8888; 01-16-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #12  
I wanna be a loser, too

I think you are right about that. Besides, her ratings go up every time he is on.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #13  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Oprah doesn't own or run Oxygen, she was just affiliated with it. I don't know if she is anymore or not. She will actually own part of the new network (I think 50% or something, not sure).

I don't care for Oprah, but I LOVE Discovery Health. I REALLY hope they don't go changing the programming too much!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote