General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Paying a tip on a credit card

In one of the posts on here, techwife mentioned something about paying the tip in cash instead of on the credit card.

I wonder if all places claim that tip as income on your W2.

I know, all tips are supposed to be reported. How does the IRS know? I guess they don't know unless it is on a credit card or you report every single penny.

Many years ago, many restaurants and places would hold the tip back until they got payment from the merchant bank. I'm glad computers have put an end to that practice.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #2  
for your health!

Height: 5'1"

i've waited tables at four different places, and each i have had to claim my credit card tips into the computer in order to receive them. at the end of the shift, i have to claim at least my credit card tips in order to clock out. i think the IRS has a certain amount they believe you should be tipped based on your food sales but i'm not sure! i have generally not had to claim my cash tips, but i do so sometimes because i fear of being audited one day!
punchthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

WOW, that is so good to know. I will ALWAYS leave a cash tip from now on. Big brother doesnt need to worry about the dang watresses and such when there are people like Donald Trump that they need to look at.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

We always tip in cash - my DH drives a limo and his company takes 10% of any tip on a credit card for "processing"
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote