This whole time I thought I needed to pay for fitday...

• I just signed up for fitday... I had been avoiding it because I had just assumed it was a monthly subscription type thing. Jeeze, the things I have missed out on. However, I have to ask... is it really accurate?? I was shocked because I put in what I ate today (I didn't eat very responsibly today) and I still fell under 1200 calories... AND, it says I should be shooting for 2200 a day??? I am shocked. A taco salad really only has like 300 calories? I didn't eat any of the chips, but still... I figured it had to have like 600 calories at least. Maybe I have been eating under 1200 calories for a while... that could be bad...
  • Pay attention to the quantity. A fast food taco salad is listed as 1.5 cups when in fact it may be closer to 3.

That's where Fit Day can be tricky. When I first started using it, I was shocked at my calorie count until I realized it gave me credit for an entire liter of high fiber cereal or a liter of salad dressing.

Congrats on wanting to track your progress. I use it all the time. I'm really happy now when I go to the reports section and pull up the graph for weight loss over the last year or six months.
  • The calorie counts on food work pretty well for me. But I tend to eat a lot of non processed type foods. If I want a calorie count on restaurant food I like Calorie King or Daily Plate better. I enter the info from the other site into Fitday as a custom food.

The only things I don't like about fitday are the exercise calories and the count of calories burned by just being alive...the choices of things to log can be a bit absurd (I have never felt the need to log my time spent on the toilet but there it is)...and I have had to set my lifestyle to comatose (literally) to come close to a basal calorie count that works for me. It still seems high.

Other than that - I swear by logging what I eat. It keeps me at least partly in line.
  • The best thing, imho, is that fitday is easy to use. I've got all my regular food items in the custom food section. I don't use the journal, and I rarely use the activities part, but if I log my food intake, I consistently lose weight.