General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default semi comatose beauty seeks advice, prince charming optional.

We don't really have a 'health' thread that I know of, so please forgive me for not placing this post in the right area, but I'm at a loss, but doubt I am the only person who has gone through this...

Basically, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired, mostly tired... I haven't exersiced in over 3 months because of being so tired all the time. I"ve tried to go to sleep earlier, tried to add naps, take away naps, eat differently...

I've gone to the Dr. for a full blood panel last week which I still haven't heard the results from yet. None of my medication has changed (sigh).

It's frustrating because it is hard for me to plan in work outs only to be too darn tired. I am awake enough to clean the house, eat, shower,ect.. there are times where I'm awake enough to get stuff done but too tired to work out.

I eat by weight watcher principles which has always helped me. the problems I've had have been related more so to my commitment to the plan rather than how the plan itself works...
I was hoping to be able to amp up-- or jsut do the cardio and weights.... I enjoy it when I do it, but I've been so wiped out.

Any advice? My weight fluctuates about 2-3 lbs, and I'm usually able to stay on track w/ my eating, but I know that i should supplement it w/ work outs for the best results, but it's difficult.

I'm looking for advice, tough love, or someone who has gone through something similar and how it worked for them...

thanks
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I've found that just having to lug the extra weight around doing normal activities makes me tired. I didn't realise how much so until recently when it struck me how much more energy I have having lost 50+ pounds. When we were at the airport last month, about to embark on a two week vaction, I lifted my case onto the scale to be weighed. It weighed in at 49lb, a pound short of what I had lost. Now just picking that case up to get it on the scale was a huge effort, no wonder I used to get easily tired when I was carrying that weight about my person all the time.

Of course, this may not apply to you at all and maybe you have an underlying condition, so you've done the best thing it getting the blood work done. I hope this identifies your problems.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I'm glad you had a full blood panel. While there is no health thread per se here, there is a dieting with obstacles forum, and there are a lot of posts there about thyroid issues. You might find out you have a thyroid problem as a result of your blood test. Good luck!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #4  

Your profile does not specify your weight. Would you mind sharing that in an effort to help us help? Thanks .
katmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 AM   #5  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Optical
It isn't easy. I have a sleep disorder that makes me very tired a lot of the time. Can go for days and be just fine and then it hits again. Sometimes it just takes DOING IT. I am to tired to work out, I work out anyway. I don't have the energy to get out of the chair to do the walking video I MAKE myself get out of the chair. I have a million reasons and excuses most days lol. I just DO IT. A good blood work up included finding out about not only thyroid and cholesterol but also minerals, vitamins and trace minerals was very important for me and should be for everyone. We really don't know how our body is doing until we find out.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

also make sure the blood panel checks for anemia. I would call your dr tomorrow if you haven't heard by then. Lab work usually only takes a few days to run..however, with the holidays, they may have been closed. So i say give your dr a ring tomorrow and see if the blood showed anything...and if it didn't...have another consult with your dr and see if there's anything else. You shouldn't feel tired all the time. Find the answers out...even if he has to referr you.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #7  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Have you tried taking vitamins? Particularly b~12!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Hello,

I appreciate the kind words.
Few things about me:

I am five seven and weigh 163. I used to weigh 220, then got down to 145...that was in '01, so I'm at least in the positive as far as not gaining all my weight back.

I am bipolar and take medication for it, the medication hasn't changed for a good year..
I'm not sure all of what hte blood panel was for, but i know there were test for vit b, folate (sp?), thyroid, iron and some other stuff...

I'm partially inclined to think that working out, although I feel too tired for it, might be the answer as someone suggested.

Being 'too tired' to do something is so relative. There are days where it's hard for me to keep my eyes open while cooking, but other days where I'm moderately drowsey, but could do SOMETHING, like walk...
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #9  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Shy is right on. Just Do It! Once you start, exercising will actually give you energy. Unless you are feeling physically ill of course.

For me, I drink a big glass of water and have a small protein snack (low-fat string cheese is a favorite). I wait about 30 minutes and start my routine. Within 10 minutes, I am feeling much better and so far, I can always finish the workout.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #10  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

You mentioned almost falling asleep while cooking ...I had a friend that was on a medication for depression, and she told me it was making her tired all the time. Naturally, I told her to go back to her doctor for advice, and she was switched to another medication that didn't make her so drowsy. I don't know if this is your case, but it could be.

REGARDING THE EXERCISE: some times we just don't feel like doing the exercise; I have to really push myself by setting specific days and times for the workouts. Sometimes, a little STRUCTURE is all that is needed.

ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #11  

I agree that the medication might be doing something. It might be worth bringing up with your doctor! Also, can you call your doctor about your labs? I was really anxious after some recent labwork and just called the doctor's office. They got back to me right away with the results!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 AM   #12  
Addicted to potato salad!

You live in Illinois? It might be a little early for it, but I suffer every year from seasonal depression. No sunlight. Do you have it in your schedule to just go out for a walk during the daytime...preferrably at noonish? I try to do this and it helps a bit. Also, I drink about a pot of iced green tea, made from Lipton green teabags in my iced tea brewer (in other words, not the bottled kind) and the anti-oxidants really help as well.

I'm not saying these ideas will cure your ailments, but I get really groggy and sluggish and unmotivated in the fall/winter/early spring and these measures help.

I also agree with the medication making you sleepy. I would discuss a tweaking of the meds with your doctor.

Let us know how the lab work came back!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote