General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-10-2007, 07:23 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

almost heaven...but at least you ran some tests..its the ones that i can't even at least run one simple test that gets frustrating (and really only when they give me a guilty trip and make me feel like i'm a horrible vet since i can't fix the animal). Trust me..i've dealt with the lack of money...i have a client right now that bloodwork makes me suspect her dog has a tumor bleeding, however she can't afford x-rays. I told her, she needs to think seriously, if she would not be able to afford anything more, and the dog is worse tomorrow..she needs to end his suffering. Trust me, I hate to do it..but i'd rather put an animal to sleep if treatment can't be afforded than make the animal suffer. And i know that's a hard decision for an owner..i had to do it once when i was in college and had little money

Last edited by GatorgalstuckinGA; 11-10-2007 at 07:41 AM.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:41 AM   #62  
Finally on my way!!

S/C/G: 340/322/185

Height: 5' 10"

About the vet bills, this same thing happened to us just this week. We are currently using a new vet, and one of our cats has not been feeling well for several days. Has lost weight, not acting right, etc. So we take her to the vet, and I`m hoping the vet will tell me it`s just some sort of bug going around and maybe give me antibiotics for it. We don`t have much money to spend, either, due to my DH having brain cancer and losing his job last year. I also don`t work full time because someone has to be with him at all times because he takes seizures.
So anyway, I tell the vet about one of our other cats that has been going through the same symptoms (thus me thinking it`s a bug) and before I made him an appointment, he seems to be getting better. She checks her temp., heart rate, etc and can`t find anything wrong with her. She recommends bloodwork for liver and kidney function, red and white cell count, etc. She also recommends testing for leukemia and FIV, which is a combo test.
Now I know the vet isn`t magic, and these tests are the next logical step, but we honestly couldn`t afford all those tests at once. So I chose the lesser of 2 evils and had her do the leukemia/FIV test, which thankfully was negative. We are currently waiting on 2 checks, and when we get one I can take her in for more bloodwork, but until then our hands are pretty much tied.
I have to add that we took our lab to this vet the previous week and spent $350.00 for testing of her heart. We just didn`t have much more to spend.
I have been a dog groomer for the past 20 years, and I would do all I can to take care of my pets if a medical situation arises. This is the first time in my life that I really can`t afford to do this, and we have 2 dogs currently that are dealing with medical issues, now the cats are getting sick.

I guess the point I`m trying to make is that sometimes people feel like they have to do something, and they`re hoping (like I was) that the solution is simpler than it appears. When it`s not, that`s when things get tough.

Then there are those who don`t take their animals to the vet when it would be something simple, and let it get out of hand until it`s life-threatening.
I`m not in the mood to get started about that right now....
firehorse66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #63  
Finally on my way!!

S/C/G: 340/322/185

Height: 5' 10"

Ok, I just spent the last 20 minutes typing another story that ties into my previous post, and then our power went out for 3 seconds, and everything shut off and I lost it all, LOL! God, I HATE when that happens. So I`m just going to give the major details of the story.

Last year, Dh was in the hospital, had been there for a month after having been diagnosed with brain cancer and undergone surgery and some rehab. Was on the verge of starting chemo and radiation. We had very little money coming in, and weren`t sure about the future.
Our lab Sammy has a bad bout with her arthritis. She had been diagnosed with spinal arthritis by a previous vet in my hometown. This time it`s worse than I`ve ever seen her, so reluctantly (due to lack of $) off I go to the vet.
I get someone I`ve not dealt with before (and never will again, EVER) and she examines dog, and starts asking me if I know about this problem, and this problem, and this problem, and on and on. Sammy has bad ears, which I have attempted to treat many times in the past; nothing my vet ever gave me has worked for more than 3 weeks. Each time she brings up something, I begin to tell her the history on it and what has been done for it, but the vet cuts me off each time and starts in on another problem that I should know about, and why don`t I? She had a very condescending tone which I really didn`t like at all. I know the dog`s arthritis is acting up, that`s what I brought her in for, but this vet wants to run a barrage of tests for everything she can think of. After it`s all said and done, all the tests she wants to run will cost $425.00 just for the tests, let alone the office visit, and any treatments/drugs that may be given. I tell her money is a concern right now and I can`t afford to pay $425.00 today (which she makes it obvious that she is annoyed by this) and I end up ok-ing an x-ray (she found a heart murmur that I didn`t know about, but she acted like I should have known), an ear flushing, and a Lyme disease test, which I didn`t really want to do that last one but she was pretty adamant about it, so I said ok. I leave the dog there at their request and agree to come back later for her.

later, not only have they done what I okayed, but they also shaved an area where there was a hot spot that I had been treating, and TOLD her I had been treating, and it was healing up. It was $35.00 just to shave a 4" x 4" spot! I am a groomer, and where I used to live, whole haircuts weren`t that much! But I really get pissed off when I get the bill. Now after telling this woman I could not afford $425.00, I get handed a bill totalling $450.00!!!! This woman had an attitude with me the whole time, and I know she did this on purpose. She did nothing the entire time but try to make me feel like a terrible dog owner, and I deeply resent that. I should have complained, but I am not a confrontational person by nature and all I could think of was how I was going to pay for this, then tell my DH about it. I knew he would be furious, not because I spent the money on the dog, but because of the way it happened.
Oh, and remember the reason I took the dog in the first place? Arthritis acting up? Well, after the Lyme disease test (negative just like I thought) this wonderful vet comes to the conclusion that the dog is limping and stiff because she has ARTHRITIS. I sooooo wanted to throttle this woman. I really should have complained to the owners of the hospital, but there was so much turmoil going on in our lives at that point I decided I didn`t need to add to it. I ended up having to charge the amount on our credit card. Which is, after all, what we have one for.

Rant over now.

Last edited by firehorse66; 11-10-2007 at 09:34 AM.
firehorse66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #64  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastTime View Post
People who park in handicapped spaces that are NOT handicapped!!! Makes me wanna key a big scratch down the side of their car.

Same here! However, you can't always tell. It may be a heart condition. Just because they aren't limping or something doesn't mean they don't deserve one. I, too, don't think it is right for just anybody to use someone's handicap tags. It is assigned to a particular person for a reason.

My SIL was going into a store once when she saw this very perky young woman in a red convertible. The perky young woman pulled right into a handicapped spot. My SIL was just about to go over and say something when the woman got out of the car and reached into the back seat and pulled out braces. She had 1 leg.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #65  
Sandra

S/C/G: 230/195.0/145

Height: 5'4"

CBMare ~ Ya, that's why I never say anything or do anything. I do look for a tag though and if I don't see a tag and they look healthy I will give them "the look". You all know the one.... lol
OneLastTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #66  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehorse66 View Post
About the vet bills, this same thing happened to us just this week. We are currently using a new vet, and one of our cats has not been feeling well for several days. Has lost weight, not acting right, etc. So we take her to the vet, and I`m hoping the vet will tell me it`s just some sort of bug going around and maybe give me antibiotics for it. We don`t have much money to spend, either, due to my DH having brain cancer and losing his job last year. I also don`t work full time because someone has to be with him at all times because he takes seizures.
So anyway, I tell the vet about one of our other cats that has been going through the same symptoms (thus me thinking it`s a bug) and before I made him an appointment, he seems to be getting better. She checks her temp., heart rate, etc and can`t find anything wrong with her. She recommends bloodwork for liver and kidney function, red and white cell count, etc. She also recommends testing for leukemia and FIV, which is a combo test.
That's pretty much the same ordeal we had. My 13 yo cat refused to eat, was losing weight, seemed to be dragging her back leg and limping. They did bloodwork and x-rays. They then wanted to do the lukemia testing and some other disease I can't recall, but said that she likely couldn't survive the treatments for either of those at her age, so I figured there was no point in throwing that money away. Right before we made our trip, she did a COMPLETE recovery. Same old cat agin. We stayed with the in-laws during a guardianship case. Four months later, we rented a house, and paid a $250 non-refundable pet deposit. Two weeks later, she went completely the opposite way and worse. Now she wouldn't even drag herself across the room. I'd put milk right under her nose and she'd lay in it. Her tongue was just hanging out. So we took her in and they'd said she'd lost too much of something??? Don't recall. But the only option left was putting her to sleep.

With the pet deposit and putting her to sleep, I think in the end, I probably spent as much as I might have spent having those darned worthless tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
Same here! However, you can't always tell. It may be a heart condition. Just because they aren't limping or something doesn't mean they don't deserve one. I, too, don't think it is right for just anybody to use someone's handicap tags. It is assigned to a particular person for a reason.

My SIL was going into a store once when she saw this very perky young woman in a red convertible. The perky young woman pulled right into a handicapped spot. My SIL was just about to go over and say something when the woman got out of the car and reached into the back seat and pulled out braces. She had 1 leg.
I'm sure there are some who don't initially appear handicapped. But how many do we see regularly getting out and going into stores with no assistance, no limp, at a brisk pace, young looking, and in perfect health for all appearances? Plus, I know people who do this. They have handicapped cards because it's their spouse's or parents' car or something. But when the spouse or parent isn't with them, they take advantage of that card and park in the handicap section, even though they aren't personally handicapped themselves.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #67  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

My son is on my jerk list today! he just got back from Iraq and is supposed to be spending time with his mommy, damnit! Instead he is with some girl...imagine that, lol.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:40 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

All of these are pretty good and are on my list too. But I have one thing to add..This has been going on in my life recently and I have been harassed by two girls about various of things that I had no part in. The harassment just now stopped hopefully and it was going on 5 months. The laws about online harassment are sorely in need of being updated!! Anyways, How bout people that tell you a secret and then are surprised when you already know about it since their "friend" that they confided in blabbed it and everybody knows already. And then they get mad at you about knowing and telling them the truth that their so called friend was the one that blabbed it. If you can't handle the truth then don't ask my help in figuring out who "told". And then attack me and every single thing I've ever said in their presence and twist things around to where the truth is so unrecognizable in order to make themselves feel better about their bad behavior.

Last edited by blondebritbrat17; 11-11-2007 at 05:42 AM.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:27 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

i understand the money and test issues with vets, but sometimes you have to realize (in defense of the vets) that test are needed even if they are normal. In todays society if we aren't practicing high quality vet med, we can be sue and we can loose (trust me, just looks at your state boards web site...we could loose our liscense). I'm sorry but that's what i should add to the jerk list...all the sue happy people. Tests help us rule out certain problems..and if we didn't do those test and just "treated" with what we thought was right...we are legally in the wrong....and i understand money situations...but owners also have to understand what vets today face...its almost getting as bad as what human dr's have to face. Just think about it next time the vet wants to order test...you can decline...but we have to ask cuz if not...we could be sued. And sometimes negavitve test are good. Would you be disappointed if you went to your dr and he said he thought you had cancer and the test was negative. You wouldn't think the labs were silly. Trust me...i have treated animal with ab's ect without test...but I always offer the best care for the animal...because sometimes you can't tell what the problem is...and i've been burned many times that way. I'm trying to play devil's advocate for both parties. And i'm sorry if i started something that offends some...but its just my opinion...i didnt mean to hurt anyone's feelings.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

Some of you have mentioned vet bills. I have to add car service bills to the list. What's up with charging $50+ for labor because they did a job that took them 5 minutes (changing a light bulb). I just took my car in for service and they charged me $484 for labor. They worked on the car for 2 1/2 hours. That's nearly $200/hour. I mean it's not like they are lawyers or something and that's not even including parts.

I really, really hate people who side swipe your car and leave. They don't even leave a note or anything. I have scrapes on all four corners of my car and not one of them is from me. Not to mention all the nicks on my car doors from idiots who can't seem to open their doors without slamming it into someone else's car.

Mare- I agree with the sitter idea. I have 3 young girls and I never take them to any late night shows. Nothing pisses me off more than when DH and I get a sitter so we can have a night out and there are young children in the audience making noise. In fact, this happened when DH and I went to see 300. Can you imagine? What kind of parent takes their children to see a movie like 300 at 10:30pm? A bad one. Irresponsible parents make me fume.

Last edited by browneyedgirl77; 11-11-2007 at 10:21 AM.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #71  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Cristina, I'm so glad your DS is back safely! I'm sure you'll have your time w/him I'm sure....surely you're a better cook than "she" is . Have a Veteran's day BBQ or something, he'll come running. And please thank him for serving!

I just wanted to comment on the handicapped placards and seemingly "healthy" looking people parking in those spaces. I had to have knee surgery this spring and received a 3 mo. temporary placard. I was on two crutches for about 2 weeks, then could get by with 1 crutch after the 3rd and 4th week, after that I didn't need them. I could drive after about a week post-op (surgery was on my left knee and I drive an automatic). I was in physical therapy 2 weeks after surgery for a total of 8 weeks. I had my good days, I had my bad days. Some days after therapy and being totally stretched out, I could walk without a limp--doesn't mean I wasn't having pain. I would use the parking placard because I couldn't endure walking long distances without rest. Even now, after 10 months post-op, being on my feet for long periods of time gives me a mean ache in my knee. I am 35 years old and feel "young". I'm sure I got those "looks" from people when exiting my car. I didn't care. Not everyone knew of my personal situation, and they didn't need to. They have volunteer h-cap parking enforcers where I live and work, they could've have easily asked for the i.d. card that goes with the placard ensuring that the placard is for you, not someone else. Granted I know there are people out there who abuse the placard by using someone else's, but in my case, I was definitely legit. Like someone said before, a seemingly young person could have a heart condition, or difficulty breathing, or some other inconspicuous affliction, we can't judge them solely by how they look, how old they are or how they move.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #72  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
My son is on my jerk list today! he just got back from Iraq and is supposed to be spending time with his mommy, damnit! Instead he is with some girl...imagine that, lol.

To your son - Thank you for your service to our country. It's not said enough to our vets and active service people.

I have to admit that I used my FIL's handicapped card a couple of times. I have plantar faciitis in both feet. Before I got some help for my feet, I could barely walk. I was limping and had to lean over on the basket to walk. The thought of walking a great distance in a parking lot was too overwhelming. I could barely walk more than a few hundred steps per day. I was constantly sitting in a chair and crying because of the pain. Once I got some therapy for them, I was oh so much better. I didn't use his card everywhere. Just in the over crowded parking lots where I would have to walk the entire length of the parking lot.

Why do some places put the handicapped spots far away from the door? There are several places around here that have them quite a ways from the door and have normal spots up close. These are in level parking lots. I can understand if it's in some of the mountain communities around here. There are some parking lots in the little mountain communities where the parking lot slopes. They put the handicapped spot on a level spot with a level sidewalk leading to the door. That makes sense. But a level lot?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #73  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Thank you NOELLE & MARE! We are supposed to do lunch next week Noelle...that is, if he can fit me in his schedule, lol! Used to be my cooking was good enough. Guess he got his fill the first week home, lol. I'm just glad he's home from that god-awful place.

And you ladies are right...I used to judge people that parked in the handicapped spots with no obvious signs of being so. One never thinks about the inside or other afflictions. I figure all who is parked has a reason. And Mare...I have seen this as well which is odd. You would think all handicapped spots would be close to the door.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #74  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

I just gotta add this to the list...my grandmother!!! OHHHHHH! That woman makes me so mad!

Contrary to all those lovely dovey grandmothers that everyone seems to have and just adore to death, my grandmother is the biggest witch of them all. I kid you not. When myself or my mother has a money situation, and we need to borrow money, she always gives us a guilt trip and then demands we pay her back immediately, even if it puts a hardship on us. Trust me, she's not hurting for money. Last year for x-mas, my mother and I actually had a little bit of extra money to spend, so we got her a few nice things that were passed along to her. The very next day, we get a phone call from her giving us a major guilt trip for having done so, and basically being mean to us. A week later, she comes out to our house giving us gifts of things that had been used before, still had food tacked on to it, and whatever else. Needless to say, we threw most of it out or donated it to Goodwill. I hate it when she does that because she can clearly afford to buy nice things, she just doesn't want to. Guess who ain't getting another x-mas gift from me ever again?
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #75  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirl77 View Post
Not to mention all the nicks on my car doors from idiots who can't seem to open their doors without slamming it into someone else's car.
This is where my new lifestyle comes in handy. I park in, what my cousin refers to as, "The Back 40". Not many people like to walk the nearly 1/4 mile to the Wal*Mart entrance, or whatever entrance. But Wal*Mart's usually the place I go. LOL So I'm usually parked back there all by my lonesome. With no door dings, nada. And I get in good exercise.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote