What are you reading?

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • I looked a few pages back and didn't see a thread about this already. I love to read books, and thought it would be fun to see what other members are reading nowadays.

Right now, I am reading The Other Women by Jane Green.
  • "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. He also wrote "The Kite Runner" and they are both so good.
  • i <3 reading

i'm currently reading "mirror mirror" but i'm not too into it

fav authors are james patterson and patricia cornwell
  • Double post, the second has more detail
  • Recent reading: A Planet for the President by Alistair Beaton: a Dr. Strangelove-like satire about the U.S. taking very drastic (think worldwide holocaust) measures against overpopulation
    Playing for Pizza by John Grisham: a third-string quarterback singlehandedly blows the Cleveland Browns' shot at the Super Bowl and the only team he can find to play on is a semipro team in Italy
    Fit to Die by J.B. Stanley: cozy mystery about a club of dieters on the case of arson and a dead body at an ice cream parlor
    Now reading: Black Maestro by Joe Drape: biography of Jimmy Winkfield, an African-American jockey who won two Kentucky Derbys at the turn of the 20th century, then moved to Europe after American tracks drew a color line, and lived a very exciting life
  • A Newberry Honor book called "Rascal" by Sterling North.....about a boy and his pet racoon and growing up in 1918. I always try to read my 8 year olds books before him so I can gauge what his interest level in it will be. His school has an Accelerated Reader program where they have to take comprehension tests after each book read to earn points toward their overall English grade, it's tough finding books at his level that aren't too lengthy and will hold his attention.

The last adult book I read? Does Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows count?

More recently I've read "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb--good book. I also like his other one, "She's Come Undone".
  • Flower Shop mysteries by Kate Collins, and Culinary Mysteries by Nancy Fairbanks. Both are mysteries related to things I'm interested in, so its nice. And the Nancy Fairbanks ones have recipes (similar to Diane Mott Davidson, if you're familiar).
  • Merle's Door: Lessons from a Free Thinking Dog. It's about a labrador. I couldn't pass it up!

DS just finished a book called Spud which may be my next book--it's interesting to me to see what he likes (he dislikes reading so much, yet he picked it out and read it voraciously).
  • I am so not a reader, but I started a 2nd job two months ago and my job is to sit, look pretty, and do nothing else, so I read Since September 15th (weekends only) I've read The Da Vinci Code, Phantoms, Darkfall, and currently Plum Island. It was my second time reading Phantoms and Darkfall...I love the Dean Koontz monster books!!
  • I jsut finished "In the Company of a Courtesan" by Sarah Dunant. Terrific book. Story takes place in 16th Century Venice and told from the point of view of a dwarf. I like Italian mysteries by Donna Leon (Venice), Michael Dibdin (various cities) and Andrea Camilieri (Sicily). Also read "Eat, Pray, Love." Nice combination of travel and spiritual seeking.
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for like the 4th time! Its reaaally good and funny.
  • I'll be the weird one here!

I'm only 22 and I read romance novels.... but not just any kind... the sci fi kind!

All of these are vampire romance novels

Amanda Ashley Novels
    Sunlight, Moonlight
    After Sundown
    Dead Sexy <--- Just finished this one in a day!

You could also check out Maggie Shayne's Wings in the Night Series... that one has connecting story lines and characters where Amanda Ashley's don't.

If you're interested in more titles I have a complete collection of them. Just send me a pm and I'll send you a list!
  • "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop (and a co-writer) about her escape from the Warren Jeffs polygamist compound ... What a page-turner! My DH and I each took just two days to read a 400+ page book!

FrouFrou, agree with you about the "90 Minutes ...." by Piper. I think he's putting everybody on!!! I didn't even finish the thing, and was sorry I wasted my money. I think what he has/has had is a good imagination!
  • Quote: It was my second time reading Phantoms and Darkfall...I love the Dean Koontz monster books!!
    If you're on a Koontz binge, have you tried Lightning, Watchers and Strangers? They are my three favorites.

I just finished World Without End the "sequel" to Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth - one of my favorite books of all time. I definitely liked it, but it felt like a retread of Pillars, pretty much the same book, 200 years later.

Next up - Microtrends and A Lick of Frost which I am sure I will hate (not sure why I can't stop reading Laurell K. Hamilton, at least I check them out of the library and don't buy them anymore).

Have you guys checked out shelfari.com? It's kinda fun. Here is a link to my shelf, feel free to "friend me." I just listed my "top" books - the 5 star books I would read again or recommend.

http://www.shelfari.com/o1517035962/shelf

Jen
  • Speaking of Dean Koontz, I'm reading False Memory right now.