General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-23-2007, 12:50 AM   #1  
Taking It Back

S/C/G: 199.8/189.2/134.2

Height: 5'6.2"

Default Is It Breast Cancer?

I am scared. When I was showering today, I felt what may be a lump in my breast. I panicked a bit and read about how to detect lumps and such. It is there, and it is quite large (about a third of my total breast size). I am so scared. What if it is cancer? I just started a job (today), so I do not have any benefits or really any money to spend on a doctor's visit. I was looking for free screening options, but everything I can find is for 40+, and I am only 25. Has anyone else had this type of scare? Where do I go next?
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you are concerned, you really need to speak to a doctor.

Have you checked for low cost or free screenings through the CDC?

http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/cancerconta...p/contacts.asp

to you!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:26 AM   #3  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Seconding Amanda's advice about getting to a doctor. I don't know too much about the American health system other than it's completely different from ours - are there any free or low cost clinics that you can get to?

Wee bit of personal TMI here. I found a lump in my breast in January of last year. We do have a history of breast cancer in my family - a cousin died at 38 as a result of secondary cancer, so you can imagine how I felt. I went to my GP who told me that something like 90% of all lumps are not cancerous, but tend to be cysts or similar - mine thankfully was a cyst.

Do you have a family history of breast cancer? It can be genetic, but not always. You're also quite young to be diagnosed with breast cancer - it's quite rare for a woman of your age to develop breast cancer. In saying that, it's not unheard of, so please do get yourself to a doctor.

Take care
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Make an appointment with a doctor immediately. You will drive yourself crazy if you don't find out for sure. I know what I am talking about because I am a breast cancer SURVIVOR.

i
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #5  
Taking It Back

Thank you for the site, mandalin. Unfortunately in my area, they only do it for people over the age of forty. I will just have to go to a regular doctor and see if they can set up some sort of payment plan for me.

Thank you, Nicole, for your personal information. I will definitely get it checked out, but it is very relieving to know that a lot of lumps are not cancer.

Thank you, bargoo. I will look around. Is there a best "type" of doctor to go to for the first "step"? Just a family doctor, or a hospital, or. . .? I do not have a "regular" doctor and have not been to a doctor's office in about seven years.

Last edited by Nadia; 10-23-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #6  

You can go to a regular doctor, he will most likely order a mammogram, sometimes you can find a mammogram trailer.oftentimes clubs and organizations offer mammos. I wouldn't wait, though. I hope I am not scaring you just urging you to be prudent and remember I and many others have been through it and are still here to talk about it.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

I would get yourself to a doctor despite having no money. There are free clinics all over and I would take Mandalinn's suggestion and look at that website. DO NOT WAIT! I had my first lump at 20 right before I got married. It was not cancerous but I insisted on it being removed due me being paranoid because my dad had died from cancer then lo and behold 6 months later my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. We had no history of breast cancer, just lots of non-cancerous lumps and fibroids and my mom is the first woman in our family to have it.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #8  
No description available.

Call. Now.

Is there a University Hospital nearby? They may have free or low cost care. Call your local WIC office and ask about low cost health clinics. Some WIC offices are in such clinics. Try calling your local Planned Parenthood and see if they have ideas for low cost or free medical care.

See a family practice or OB person now. You will probably need an ultrasound (sometimes breast tissue is too dense for a mammogram when a woman is younger) and the radiologist will make a decision whether to biopsy or not.

Do it. Call today.

(There is also a chance it is a benign cyst, but your description concerns me. You need to have it checked.)

Last edited by midwife; 10-23-2007 at 11:51 AM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

As the daughter of a 1-y breast cancer survivor , I second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth etc etc everything that's been said. There should be free or low-cost clinics available. Check it out, if it's benign you can breathe easier.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #10  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

PRAYING for you!!!!! I hope you are ok
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

There are free and reduced income clinics and you don't have to be 40 in order to qualify for an exam if you have current issues. If you cannot locate these clinics in your phone book (in my state they are run by the county so try the county listings first), contact DHHS. They should at least be able to tell you who to call.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #12  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

My DD just went thru a scare a few months ago and as I told her and as hard as it is...try not to panic. I know it is easier said than done because I too had a scare and of course thought the worst. I think it's hard not to. They found a lump in DD's breast and it turned out to be nothing. But for sure get to the doctor! Most docs will take payments so don't let something like money stand in the way of being checked. Lots of hugs to you and please keep us posted!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #13  

Have you made an appointment? Do it now and let us know.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 AM   #14  
Taking It Back

Thank you all for responding. What is DHHS? I called Planned Parenthood which turns out to be less than a mile from my new job, so it would be really hard for me to come up with an excuse to avoid going. The after hours girl there said that she would have someone get back to me tomorrow morning. I hope that everything will be okay.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
What is DHHS?
Department of Health and Human Services. But if Planned Parenthood can help, more power to them too. Good luck!
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote