General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #16  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I had my 52nd birthday last week and I don't feel any older than I did at 20 and I don't see "an old person" when I look in the mirror. (ok, I dye my hair and I use copious amounts of "wrinkle stuff")

I teach computer lab at a school that is all kindergarten (300 kids). A couple of days ago I thought I was looking pretty good. I had a new size 10 skirt on and was having a good hair day and I 've dropped about 40lbs etc. Some little boys were sitting outside of my classroom on a bench waiting for the recess bell to ring. One of them jabbed the other and said "You see that lady there?" and he pointed to me. The other said "Yeah, that's Ms. Cat, the computer teacher" and then the first one said "Well, she's a dear sweet old lady".
My bubble was burst, but it was really funny. I then took into account that they were 5 years old and I guess a 12 year old would be old to them. I also thought it was better to be a dear sweet old lady than a mean old battle ax.

Last edited by femmecreole; 09-21-2007 at 08:29 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmecreole View Post
I had my 52nd birthday last week and I don't feel any older than I did at 20 and I don't see "an old person" when I look in the mirror. (ok, I dye my hair and I use copious amounts of "wrinkle stuff")
If your icon is recent, you look great and much, MUCH younger

BTW - when I was 5, I was scared of teenagers and thought 20-somethings were archaic.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:44 AM   #18  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Holy smokes! I'm 68 and sure don't think of myself as old. It's definitely a state of mind! I think people get old when they stop doping things and start complaining about getting old. Crabbing about weather and health is part of the syndrome too. I totally agree that those dumb getting old cards are horrible!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Have you seen these t-shirts that say things like, "50 is the new 30?" Who in their right mind would want to delay their retirement by twenty years? I also don't understand the relatively recent belief that a woman comes into her own in her 50's. A woman can be confident and secure in her identity at any age- the sooner the better!

I don't want to be younger because I already did that- and quite well, I might add! I had the single and 20-ish lifestyle, complete with the little apartment downtown, the odd assembly of single friends and dreams of success.

I don't want to be older because I'm not quite done with this age yet. I have a mortgage and a wedding to plan. I have finally achieved enough success to step up my retirement savings without limiting my diet to ramen noodles and tap water. Plus, I still need to figure out how to take care of my lawn... and take a walk in my suburb without a dog or stroller and not be immediately suspicious.

I'll just keep savoring the benefits and the baggage of each age! If I do it right, there'll be nothing to miss and everything to look forward to in the next year. So far, so good!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #20  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I'm 27 and I was diagnosed with cancer when I was 25. About a month ago, someone at work was complaining about turning 30. I told him he should be happy to have had 30 years - some people don't! I'm thankful for every day I can get
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #21  

Yeah! What makes people appear old is the excessive complaining that some "old fogies" do!

I have a friend who turned 50 recently. She looks 35 and still parties like she's 25. She's not old, at all.

However, SHE has a friend who is something like 55 and looks it. This friend of hers whines and complains incessantly about things that don't matter. I viewed it as being a "crotchety old person" though if she complained that much and was closer to my age (I'm 21), I'd think she was just a pessimistic biatch!

I'm bad at guessing ages (though I'm GREAT at guessing WEIGHT! haha) and I definitely think part of one's age is just their mindset. Some older people forget how to laugh and have a good time because they're too busy being jaded by life's misfortunes to see the positives. *I* started to get like that at one point (honestly, not that long ago - back in April or May, then I realized I needed to change some things in my life)
Old 09-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkittn View Post
I'm 27 and I was diagnosed with cancer when I was 25. About a month ago, someone at work was complaining about turning 30. I told him he should be happy to have had 30 years - some people don't! I'm thankful for every day I can get
Aww, what kind of cancer did/do you have? Did you get it removed? Are you in remission now?
Old 09-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #23  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
Aww, what kind of cancer did/do you have? Did you get it removed? Are you in remission now?
I have chronic myelegenous leukemia. I take targeted chemo (targeted to the bad cells, not all of them - so i have my hair and stuff) that keeps me in remission. Think of it like a diabetic taking insulin. If I don't take it, I will come out of remission. At some point, the disease will most likely mutate and I will have to switch to a 2nd medication that is available or have a bone marrow transplant.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

I completely agree with you, although I am only 21 I do believe that there is a bias about age, yes about 5-6 decades ago 50 was considered old because the life span was not as long as it is now, but if people would really think about it people are living to be 100+ now...so if that is the case how can anyone at 50 be considered old?

I was picking out cards yesterday for my dad's birthday party that I am having for him this weekend and he is turning 55; any cards that I pick out make no reference to his age because honestly I find those cards about being over the hill mean. I don't consider my dad over the hill....he looks a lot younger than 55 and I avoid anything about old age like the plague.

On the flip side I hate that people consider me too young to know anything about my subject or about anything for that matter. I will go to see people about issues that I am having with my college or go to speak with doctors or people in my field and I am spoken to as if I am a child. Granted I do not look 21 (never have looked my age...I would say 18 at most), but it irks me to no end that just because I am younger to them means I am ignorant. Sorry for my little rant

Also on a side note dixiedieter.....Go WVU....I saw your football and got excited, I currently go to WVU and bleed blue and gold
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #25  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

50 is NOT old!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #26  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Techwife -- I wish you all the best in your new business!!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #27  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
Techwife -- I wish you all the best in your new business!!
No kidding - How exciting!! I didn't want to "hijack" the thread and change the subject but Techwife that is fantastic!!!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:06 PM   #28  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Lori - I wish you continued success with your treatments.
Nightengale -- I think I might be like your partying friend!
Lafayette -- I never never never ever ever ever want to retire! And/but I know I'm not in my right mind either!

And I know people who are 10 years younger than me who are complaining about how old they are. I tilt my head sideways.

Last edited by Spinymouse; 09-21-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

I'm 44 and old by my 16 year old DD's standards (but not mine!). My in-laws are in their early to mid 60's and they are not old to my standards. My parents are in their 80's. They are old. I agree with the notion that you aren't old until you've surpassed your life's expectancy.

Techwife~best of luck to you in your new business venture!!!! That must be exciting! It's hard work being an business owner (trust me--I know!), but it has it's rewards!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #30  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myself View Post
I suddenly feel like going outside naked in a rain storm.
Uh oh, that's the kind of thing I've warned my son will be a signal to put me in the old folks home
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote