Online Pet Peeves

You're on Page 1 of 14
Go to
  • I thought it would be funny to list some of our pet peeves!

Here are a few of mine listed below.

When people use "ect" instead of "etc." when they mean "etcetera".

When people use "loose" when they mean "lose", as in "I want to lose weight.", not "This shirt is really loose!".

Fess up! What are some of yours?
  • bad grammar and blatant misspellings. I mean it is one thing to type slower than your brain can think, but to have consistant errors....like "the" being "hte"...stupid little things I know..lol

And sadly we are all guilty of most of this stuff...
  • 1. TIN foil. I sometimes carry copies of the periodic table of the elements to hand out when people say this.

2. Baby talk.

So, please do not say you have a "nummy veggie sammie wrapped in tin foil" to give me. I might blow up.
  • Spiney, that is TOOOOO FUNNY!!!!!!
  • mine isn't so much on-line as just a general pet peeve. Axed. As in "I axed him that question!" You did what? Should I call the police or the paramedics or both?

On-line it would be more along the lines of "no" instead of know, "there" instead of they're or their. Although "loose" vs. lose is definitely a biggie!
  • oops
    missed the "online" qualifier!
  • I think everyone should learn the difference between "lay" and "lie" !
  • "u" and "ur"

I really love the fact that Firefox checks spelling in the browser. I really wish IE did this (for when I am at work).
  • People who start threads on topics that have been beaten to death rather than using the "SEARCH" feature.
  • Oh, and people who hijack threads.
  • And how about--

people who type reply after reply after reply instead of editing their original post to add all of their extra thoughts
  • PROLLY, I think probably is probably what they mean, I'm not sure why it bothers me so much. I know my spelling and grammer is far from perfect.

Also i instead of I. We all have typos but some people don't even try.

i thought i was prolly the only one bothered by silly little things like this.
  • i instead of I --
    i or I have become much more tolerant about that and also guilty of it - after getting an iPhone (how iRonic!) and sending messages on its little keypad function.
  • Hmm... yes, the lose/loose is ubiquitous on this site. I type quickly and very lazily, so I know my writing is not the best, but I agree that some of the spelling and grammar is atrocious.

And quite a few people seem to think 'alot' is one word. It's not. We would never write "I ate alittle ice cream," yet people consistently use "alot" when it should be 'a lot." A little. A lot. I didn't realize it, but I guess that would have to be my pet peeve.
  • Trolls.

We don't have many, if any, here on 3FC, but recently on another forum I belong to, a lot of us got suckered in by a Troll. She duped us, made us feel more than stupid (although naive is probably a better word for it). In the end, she got banned from the site.

Other than that, the use of incorrect grammar and some certain misspelled words does bother me (most of what has already been stated).

Oh, and Cheryl, too funny!!!