General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-09-2007, 12:03 AM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Friday Night Lights

High school football season is usually pretty exciting around our house. My kids and I, my nieces and my nephew all went to the same high school. My step-daughter went to our cross town rival. Both schools have almost 4,000 students. My son and daughter in law teach at another high school in the county.

Friday nights in the fall the phone is buzzing! With my son calling from his schools games to me to see how "our" alma mater is doing...nephew calls to give us up-dates, plus the local paper runs the scores on their website.

Winners of the play-offs get to play the championship game at Qualcomm Stadium, home of the San Diego Chargers...our school has been there many times since 1974!

I loved the games when I was in high school...many good memories of high school.

Is high school football a part of your life?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240ish/240ish/160

Height: 5'2"

Just a memory.....

I was in marching band my fresh and soph years of high school. We played every home football game. My best memory is getting to march on the field at Busch Stadium during my high school's game half time. I can't remember why our team was there, but we were.

Kerri
newFannie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Oh yes, Friday nights were always spent at football games growing up. More as a chance to socialize with friends than to watch the game. Nowadays my Friday nights are spent in the concession stand if it's a home game. If it's an away game, I get to watch my kids, who are both in the marching band. I'm still not much of a football fan, but I wouldn't miss them marching for the world.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #4  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

We have a good team this year.

My middle daughter is on the poms squad and they perform every home game at half time.

So I go and watch the games.

They've won their first 3 games so far, really smoking this year.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Ah, Friday night football memories!

My family is pretty much from the same alma mater. Aunts and uncles, my parents, my cousins, and my siblings all went to the same high school. My sisters and I received our first season tickets on our fifth birthday, and I only missed three games up until I went to college. Dad and my two sisters were in the marching band and mom and I were on the dance team. It was SO much fun and I REALLY miss supporting that team. If I happen to be back home, I always try and catch a game. My grandpa now records the games while he's at them and sends us clips via email with scores and such. I hope my kids have as much pride in their alma mater as we do.

Can't you picture it? Wrapped up in grandma's flannel blankets, sipping hot chocolate because it's just too darned hot. Some of my most cherished memories are from those times!
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:44 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

My son just called me, he is wih his wife and my daughter and her husband, waiting for their RASCAL FLATTS concert to start. He calls to tell me that the football team, for the high school he and his wife teach at, just ran the kick-off back. A kid he coaches in track, for jumps. See what I mean...he is getting cell phone up-dates from his students! He will shut it down until intermission then check in though. I expect to hear from him again...it's FRIDAY NIGHT!!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:15 PM   #7  

YES! My son is a sophmore at our local high school (GO Grizzlies!!) and is in the marching band. We were unable to go to the game tonight because this next week is out fall break and we are leaving early in the morning for a few days at the beach. Someone had to pack the car. Anyway, it is a new school with only freshmen, sophmores and juniors this year. Seniors will be added next year. They had a 7-3 season last year with freshman and sophmores playing 4 year schools, so we are looking for just as great a season this year. The band's halftime show is music from the broadway musical "wicked" and they are going to the gator bowl this year. Not bad for a "country" high school in North Georgia! we will be at the stadium on friday nights for a while and have several Saturday band competitions and exhibitions as well!
ThinWithin225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #8  
~~Maintainer!~~

Yep, we lost tonight. Good game though, and my band kids - as well as all of the band kids - did great! It was an away game - almost 2 hours away - but at least we weren't stuck in the concession stands.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:39 AM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

THINWITIN~ Congratulations on your son and the band! Hope the football team won too.

TAMMY ~Sorry your team lost but as always the band was awesome! I could hear them here...or maybe that was my alma mater down the street....wink

My alma mater won, making them 2-1 on the season but same for the school my son teaches at.But on a very sad note, one of the seniors on his team, a kid he teaches, was seriously injured on the field. He was motionless for 15 minutes before he was ambulanced to the hospital. No details as of yet.

Asking for prayers for the boy ~ his name is Scott.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:15 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

My son called, a little bit ago, to tell me that the young man's family was told that, as of last night, he has only a 5% of survival. Prayers requested for him and his family.

Last edited by EZMONEY; 09-15-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #11  
~~Maintainer!~~

Oh EZ, how awful. I'll be keeping him and his family in my prayers. It's so tragic, but it seems like a paralyzing injury or something like this happens to some child around here at least once a year.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

TAMMY on days like this, I sometimes wonder if football is worth it. Then I remember I know people that have lost loved ones in a baseball game, running, and many walks of life. We just have to trust Him. Thanks, Gary
Old 09-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

UP-DATE ~ My son called and the boy's surgery went better than expected. He, evidently, is no longer in danger of dying, however they are unclear yet on the extent of brain damage and movement.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #14  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Gary that's awful. So sad to hear.

Keeping him in my prayers.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #15  

BUMP!!!

How is the boy doing???

Our high school team won again friday night! 3-0 now.. Go Grizzlies!!!
ThinWithin225 is offline   Reply With Quote