"Announcement": Hmmm ...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • (Ladies PLEASE: this is a discussion of word usage, this is NOT going to be a discussion regarding the merits of Fred Thompson or any other presidential candidate of either party, or any other candidate for any other office, I'm just using Thompson as an example because he's the most recent person relating to my question)

So the headline is "Fred Thompson to announce his presidential candidacy on September 6": erm, if he's saying that he's going to announce it then, isn't he in effect already making the announcement ? The announcement of whether or not it's going to happen should come more or less out of the blue?
  • Can't come out of the blue when TV re-runs are the issue
  • announcement
    Quote: (Ladies PLEASE: this is a discussion of word usage, this is NOT going to be a discussion regarding the merits of Fred Thompson or any other presidential candidate of either party, or any other candidate for any other office, I'm just using Thompson as an example because he's the most recent person relating to my question)

So the headline is "Fred Thompson to announce his presidential candidacy on September 6": erm, if he's saying that he's going to announce it then, isn't he in effect already making the announcement ? The announcement of whether or not it's going to happen should come more or less out of the blue?
    ANOther , you obviously have too much time on your hands if you are bothered by political announcements.
  • The announcement of an announcement!
    Hilarious!
    I will now announce that I will announce something tomorrow. Just wait.
  • SPINYMOUSE ~ My I have your permission to announce that you will announce to announce something tomorrow?
  • Quote: SPINYMOUSE ~ My I have your permission to announce that you will announce to announce something tomorrow?
    I am now announcing that you will make this announcement.
  • Cool...so then I will announce that you will anonunce my announcement that...ah never mind......wink
  • Fred Thompson's running for president..what a surprise!

You had to love Giuliani's line....'he (Thompson) played me in "Law and Order" (Giuliani used to be a district attorney).

That's enough with the politics!
  • the consensus of opinion is that they should have just said
    "And now for something completely different . . ."
    in order to announce FT's future plans. That would distinguish the announcement of the announcement from an unconfirmed rumor.

That is my free gift to you.

Irregardless of FT's politics, it's an annoying use of language.

And now I am announcing that I have frittered away too much wasted time.
  • Are you sure you don't want to continue on and repeat yourself again?
  • It is obvious that he wants to postpone until later his announcement.
  • OMG you are all toooo funny!
  • And Angie...the language arts teacher...gets on me for always saying.."I ain't got no fill in the blank."
  • Tomorrow, I will announce my intention to reply to this thread in the near future...I will, at that time, state my intention to denounce the senseless waste of letters that have been devoted to this topic next Monday.
    Tune in tomorrow around 4pm for my announcement...
  • I am not announcing yet whether I will or will not announce my position on this topic, but I should announce my decision tomorrow on when I will be able to make an announcement