Stephen King - Dark tower series (I finished, anyone else?)

• I finished the last book in the Dark Tower series last night. I've had the last book for quite a while but I had been distracted and didn't get a chance to sit down and finish the series until recently.

Overall, I have to say that the first 4 books were much better than the last 3 books. My overall feeling about Stephen King is his earlier books are much better than his more recent books (last 15 years).

I am glad that he did finish the series. There were quite a few hokey parts where he inserted himself into the novel. I did feel a little sad to finish the series though. I always kind of feel a little sad when I finish a long, good novel because I don't want it to end.

Did anyone else read the series and finish it?
  • The first "adult" book that I ever read was Stephen King's "The Stand" and I have been hooked on King since then though I have started venturing out to Dean Koontz (which I actually prefer these days - the Odd Thomas series is excellent). I am currently in the middle of King's "Cell" which so far is very good and much more like his earlier work.

As for the Dark Tower series, I was never able to get into it. I read up to somewhere at the beginning of "Wizard and Glass" - not sure which book in the series this is - and have not gotten any further.

I can relate to the sad feelings when a series is over. I am still morning the end of the Harry Potter series.