General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Costumes/dress-up for 6 yr old birthday party

I am planning a birthday party for my son next month, he will be 6. There will be a mix of boys and girls. I thought as part of the activities I could provide a box of dress-up stuff or costumes. I am going to prevail on my co-workers to donate any old costumes etc they might have laying around but I was hoping for some other ideas of things I might find around the house or buy cheap at the dollar store.

Also any other ideas for activities/games would be very much appreciated. Anything, and I mean anything you might have to contribute would be very appreciated. I have not thrown a b-day party for him before and we are going to have about 12-18 kids (probably my first mistake). Anything that is a guaranteed winner or a definate no-no, please let me know!!!!

Plans that I have already...a magician who has done loads of parties etc around here, he's a definate winner....also we are getting a bouncy castle which should go over well. I am making cupcakes for the kids to decorate and eat. I am spending a lot of money on the magician and bouncy castle so I'm not really wanting to spend a lot for loot bags and other activities so any suggestions would be great!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #2  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

What our family does for kiddie birthday parties is to get a large refrigerator box, and paint it (or get someone in the family to do it for you if they are talented) with the child's favorite characters i.e. Elmo, Pokemon, Spiderman, etc. Then we have the kids take Polaroids in front of the box. This usually serves as the picture on the "thank you" note that goes home with the child.

Here's an example of my son's latest b-day character board. This is an individual shot, and as each child arrives, we take their pictures in front of the board. I usually get a group shot of the kids as well. They usually like having this keepsake to take home. The board also did double duty as a fishing type game backdrop. We had the kids line up in front of the board and used one of my hubby's small fishing poles with a string and clip on it, the kids got a small trinket after "fishing".

It's also been my experience that if you have a jumping balloon/bounce house at the party, most kids will stay in it the whole time if you let them and forget about what else is going on. You may not need more games

Good luck.

Last edited by melekalikimaka; 01-22-2008 at 06:33 PM.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #3  
Jen

Well the bouncy thing will only take 5 or 6 kids at a time so they'll have to be rotated. I plan to give each kid a number 1, 2 or 3 as they come in and after 20 minutes I'll call in the number 2's to go in the bouncy castle or make them into teams of some sort ie yellow team is up to the castle. So while they are bouncing the rest are doing games, crafts, other activities etc.

That board idea is great!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #4  
Getting Better Every Day!

Location: Ireland - The green green grass and the grey grey skies

Height: 5ft 11"

omg sounds like a fun party!! can i come
ih8diets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:54 PM   #5  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

How bout a pinata? *sp?* Fill it with some cheap dollar store candy and you have yourself a game that will take a little bit of time.

I would also like to come!!! lol
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:05 PM   #6  

Is Dora/Diego too young for this crowd? I know my 3-4 y/o charges are big fans. If not, that might be a fun dress up idea. You could get little dollar store animals and hide them. Then, make a little "map" and have the kids go on an "animal rescue adventure". If it's going to be warm enough, water games might be fun. Water balloon tosses are always fun. Relay races are usually winners, especially with more kids. I'll keep thinking!
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote