clutter-free gift ideas?

• I have a wedding to go to next weekend and I want to get the couple something unique and clutter-free. I hate giving people stuff, I hate getting stuff too for the most part... gift cards are kind of boring though.

I was thinking maybe a gift basket of some kind or something... any thoughts? Anybody get or give a really cool low-junk gift?

Thanks!
  • I'm big on baskets of things that are consumable - bath products can be nice (but are often unused in my house - we like to be stinky! ) - we have found that a gift basket of interesting food and/or wine is always received well

Heather
  • What about a movie night basket in a big bowl with popcorn, candy, sodas, and a couple of movies or gift certificates for movie rentals? One that I used for Christmas for my grandparents was Stationary, pens, stamps, and return address labels (made them on the computer, but they turned out so nice). That may be good for a wedding, return address labels with Mr. and Mrs. on them.
  • One of our friends gave us ticket to a concert that was in town the week after our wedding (we took a very short local honeymoon, so he knew we would be able to go). I have to say, that was by far the best date and most romantic concert I've been to. It was one of our first public outings as husband and wife -- so nice. It was the Cowboy Junkies, by the way. We both thought it was a really special gift.
  • I don't have any suggestions but am looking for some as well, lol. We have a wedding to go to next month and I am at a loss as to what to get. I know I would love some sort of gift basket but as for others...I never know what to get. I'll have to keep checking this thread for ideas!
  • I agree with giving something consumable or practical. Some gifts I've given:

~Gift basket with food (Italian theme~gourmet pastas, sauce, wine, etc)
    ~3 month wine club membership (You could do a fruit of the month thing too)
    ~Basic cookbooks (these went to an old roommate when she got married~I knew she couldn't cook.)

Some other ideas:

~If they are frugal you could buy them necessities like TP, cleaning agents, foil, etc (no it's not romantic.)
    ~Are they into a particular sport? For instance, you could buy them a yearly national park pass if they like to hike.
    ~You could donate to a charitable organization in their name.
    ~If you know their honeymoon destination you could get them a gift card for a nice restaurant there. That does show a lot of thought went into it.
  • Hmmm.. if they like fruit, you can get a gift basket filled with exotic fruits for them. Consumable and interesting
  • When DH and I were married, we got a lot of gifts that made us think.....hmmmm....what were they thinking??? But there was one that at first didn't look like the greatest gift, but it ended up being something that we used all the time (and still do!). It was a set of coolers. It was a big one (for camping/beaching, etc) with a smaller (little bit bigger than six pack size) and a drink cooler (round for carrying liquid inside). The big cooler had a plastic rack on top for things that need to stay cool, but out of the ice. You can get these for relatively cheap prices, and then throw in some things that would go in a cooler. Like maybe a set of grilling tools, some melamine dishes and matching napkins, a bottle of wine.
  • Angie and I get them something they have requested off their wedding registry. If they don't have one we almost always give a Home Depot or Lowes Gift card...who can't use one of those right...wink!
  • An idea that I have given and people seem to like is to take their wedding invitation and put it in a nice picture frame. So many people always forget to keep an invitation for themselves. Just an idea.
  • GC for his & hers massages. Or GC for nice dinner somewhere in their town.
  • A picnic basket (a lot of them can be found with the necessities already included... plates, utensils, glasses, and something for sitting on), if not already filled you could include a bottle of champage/sparkling wine/cider and some nice cheese...
  • I love the cooler/picinic basket idea. I would throw in some of those nicer folding cloth chairs too. Or if they are beach goers, a big umbrella with the coolers, blankets, towels, and beach chairs. Wow.... I need this gift!!
  • Great ideas everybody! Thank you! I'm leaning toward a gourmet food basket... they are foodies.

Boy I'd love it if someone gave me any of these gifts!
  • i wound up making a gift basket of imported Asian foods, some adorable little square plates & chopsticks -in case anyone is curious. It came out wonderfully...thanks again for all the awesome suggestions!