General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240ish/240ish/160

Height: 5'2"

Default Waxing advice

OK...I need some advice on waxing. I am trying to muster up the courage to wax my legs and bikini area pending an upcoming vacation. Any advice on at-home waxing? I can't afford a salon. Thanks
newFannie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

My sister sells Avon and they have an at-home waxing kit. She uses hers all the time. She told me she uses a plastic spoon to apply the wax instead of the applicator it comes with.

Good luck!!!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #3  

If you have a cosmetology/esthetics school anywhere near you they would be way less expensive than a salon. The work is usually supervised by an instructor so they generally do a pretty good job.
It would be hard to to your own bikini area, especially if you are not experienced in waxing....*ouch*, but if doing it yourself is your only choice I would probably go to Sally's, or whatever public beauty supply warehouse is in your area, and get a small GiGi brand wax warmer and the Honey wax. You'll also need the wood applicators and muslin strips to remove. They also sell a clean up oil and anesthetic numbing spray!
Whatever you do...good luck and have a great vacation!
KimberMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #4  

don't do it yourself. small things yes. like your lip or eyebrow, even your legs. leave your bikini area to a pro. brazillians are the best 50 bucks you can spend on yourself in your life. as for wax, the best i have ever used it home is parissia stripless wax. its so easy to use and catches everything.
prettybirdXoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240ish/240ish/160

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the responses....this sounds dumb. I would like to get the professional brazillian wax (my local beauty school does it for $25), but am very embarrassed. I am quite large with a large tummy. Plus the thought of being half naked in front of anyone but my hubby....ugh. Any thoughts? And just how bad does it really hurt. Be honest. How bad do the legs hurt? The only thing I've ever waxed is my eyebrows and it brought tears to my eyes. I am a big chicken.
newFannie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

I wax my bikini area with either Sally Hansen white chocolate-scented wax or Nad's. Either works great. I also give myself a Brazilian every so often because I got tired of paying $75 for it. Maybe my pain tolerance is high, because it doesn't hurt!
If you find a great technician, waxing should only be mildly uncomfortable. I have to be honest, though -- I have had tears in my eyes at certain parts of the Brazilian. If you suck it up, though, and get to the end point to see the results, you'll become addicted to getting them!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

I forgot to mention that for a Brazilian, most salons have you strip naked from the waist down. Be prepared to get in all kinds of funky positions, including on all fours with your butt in the air to do behind, or laying on your side with one thigh tucked up toward your chest. Waxers are professionals who are concerned about providing a service, and I'm guessing they've seen it all and heard it all, so hopefully that helps put a more clinical spin on the whole process.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #8  

Yeah, a Brazilian is definitely the way to go, and if you have a beauty school in your area all the better! It's not a walk in the park, but its not unbearable either, and if you absolutely can't take it, they'll stop, but I doubt that will happen! Its common to be more sensitive in different areas of your body, so even if facial waxing hurts, that doesn't mean legs or bikini area will. Some people cry during a lip wax and barely flinch during an underarm wax!

Don't worry about the "naked" part either- its basically like being at the doctor as in its clinical to them - they will drape you so you will feel comfortable and trust me, they are so nervous that you will be judging them on their expertise that the last thing they are going to do is judge you.
Oh, just remembered, when I was in school our instructor told us to tell people that taking a couple of tylenol about an hour before the appointment would help alot with discomfort. You'll do great!
KimberMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

I will never do a Brazilian again! Nope, no way! I just get a regular waxing, but they take off as much as they can.

How long have you let it grow out? My waxer at the salon told me to go at least a month next time (I went 2 weeks) and it won't be as bad. (And I get a 5 o'clock shadow on my legs after I shave! LOL!)

Bikini waxes aren't too painful, really, and it's so convenient too for vacations! They're done very professionally, so don't be scared. I've done my legs before, but I could never do bikini by myself.

Good Luck for whatever you do!
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote